potential new E* subscriber question

Skillet Liquor

Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Albuquerque, NM, USA
This is my first post here and I hope this hasn't been covered before - I tried the search function, FWIW, and came up empty.

Anyway, I have a 30" 16:9 Toshiba HD-ready set (30HF83). I am currently a Comcast subscriber, but I have their limited basic cable, which is analog. I got the set mostly for its aspect ratio (to enjoy DVDs). HD was mainly an afterthought and the price was right.

Some of the analog channels look pretty OK on this set, but others look just plain awful. Analog cable on an HD-ready set is basically "pearls before swine". I don't do OTA (analog or otherwise) and don't plan to.

I am thinking of joining E* and getting their America's Top 120 Package and one international package (Israeli Network, available in the US only on E*). I have only the one TV listed above, and want a DVR.

I am really hesitant to sign up for an HD package right now because of what's available and I can't get spousal approval on the 921 anyway.

I have three questions:

1. Will Dish SD programming look better on an HD-ready set than analog cable?

2. If I sign up for new E* service directly through Dish will I be able to upgrade my service on my own schedule, or must I wait for some amount of time? Will HD require a different dish?

3. If I run RG6 myself in advance of the professional installation, will the installer be my friend?

Thanks!

1. more than likely, but the SD quality of dish is lacking.

2. right now it won't require a second dish unless you qualify for cbshd. in the future, who knows. dish has changed their mind so many times and have told countless lies.

3. i would.

i have dish right now and really have grown tired of their broken promises and lies. have you considered direct tv? it seems like they have a better plan for hd. dish has no plans right now.

1. I have Comcast limited basic too and find that their SD programming is the same or slightly better than Dish SD programming but I think you will find that all cable is not the same so your mileage may vary from mine.
2. I have been able to upgrade where and when I have wanted to without any problem.
If you do a lease plan this could be different but I wouldn't think so with programming, just with hardware changes/upgrades.
3. Yes they will be very happy if you run the cable first. Don't bother putting connectors on the ends, they will do a better job with better quality connectors.
Be sure to use RG6 that is listed (on the cable) to work up to 2200 or so MHZ.

Note: I was able to add a Comcast (Motorola) HD cable box for an extra $5/month and receive all the locals in HD now with the exception of FOX which is annoying. I did this as I wanted the locals in HD and live too far to get them OTA.

korsjs said:
have you considered direct tv? it seems like they have a better plan for hd. dish has no plans right now.

I was with D* waaaaaay back in '97/'98 and generally enjoyed it, but unfortunately E* is offering an international channel I want... It may not be worth it.

Sometimes I think that D*, E*, V*, cable companies and telcos are all sitting in a smoke-filled room laughing their heads off at us.

my 921 story...

Remote Control Configuration for WinLirc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)