Possible new combo S2-DVB and ATSC 1.0 & 3.0 Set Top Box from Manhattan-Digital

mikekohl

Prehistoric Satellite Guru
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 4, 2004
Montfort, Wisconsin
Jeff Schumann of Manhattan-Digital tells me that he hopes to have a new set top box by early Fall.
Tentative retail should be around $129.00 (an approximation based on no surprises between now and then),
and will provide a receiver that includes ATSC 3.0 and 1.0 terrestrial TV reception as well as an S2 type DVB satellite receiver with dual (2) tuners.
Goal is to produce here in the United States, in order to have control of production, delivery and software.
No other details on other features just yet.
Others have introduced receivers early in the game, and some of them have ran into roadblocks with DRM when local ATSC 3.0 stations enact that requirement.
Jeff wants to do local testing to prevent these problems in a new receiver, so it may have been a good idea that this project has been delayed until now.
All of the pieces of what could be a revitalized TV reception industry are starting to come together.
Also being considered are other ATSC 3.0 & 1.0 STBs in a basic one tuner model as well as a four tuner model. Comments and suggestions are much appreciated from this audience.
Please discuss it here for a wider audience to get involved and/or Email Jeff directly
at jeff.schumann@manhattan-digital.net

If you need beta testers for FTA DVB and ATSC 3.0 I'd be happy to participate and a stable easy to use DVB STB would always be welcome.

IIRC, several years ago Jeff was going to introduce a HiSilicon based (Android?) DVB-S2/ATSC STB. Maybe someone else knows the details but I don't believe it was ever released maybe something to do with his design ripped off by the Chinese manufacturer? The device that comes to mind is the U4 Quad although I don't know if this is the same device or related.

Octagon sells several HiSilicon based DVB STB which run their proprietary OS and Enigma2. I have one and it seems to be well built, well supported with OS updates and works well. Most of the Android based DVB-S2 devices are Amlogic based. From my limited trials using one, it wasn't very stable although maybe things have changed although I'm skeptical. I don't know which processor Jeff is considering but unless he is personally the developer, software support would seem to be the biggest expense and challenge. Also given the relatively small size of the US DVB-S2 market, I would think he needs to release a device which would appeal globally, which will require additional features/functionality. Of course if he wants to hit a home run, 4:2:2 support would be a key differentiator.

ATSC 3.0 is currently somewhat of a disaster related to DRM. Can he get "Nextgen TV" certified? Probably but at what expense? There are a few ATSC 3.0 STB options, most of which you can read about here on Satugys forum. The best device currently seems to be the Zapperbox M1 which supports ATSC 3.0 DRM and DVR functionality so he definitely won't be fist to market. If Silicon Dust ever figures out how to get DRM working on their ATSC 3.0 devices, they would also likely be a significant competitor. ATSC 1.0 is going to be here for 3 years and maybe longer so even with DRM support, the demand for a ATSC 3.0 device may be limited.

IMHO, the first question he needs to ask is "who is my customer?" and decide if there is a market opportunity.

Last edited:
If Silicon Dust ever figures out how to get DRM working on their ATSC 3.0 devices, they would also likely be a significant competitor.
They know, BUT, it requires a new tuner with different manufacturer chips in it. They just don't want to admit that, and are hoping the FCC will step in and force the providers to turn OFF drm/encryption.

They know, BUT, it requires a new tuner with different manufacturer chips in it. They just don't want to admit that, and are hoping the FCC will step in and force the providers to turn OFF drm/encryption.
I had read this somewhere but has that been confirmed by someone at SD or just internet speculation (which may be correct)? As I have one of their 4k tuners, I'm hoping its not true or the FCC steps in but it does highlight the challenges/risks of Manhattan-Digital jumping into the ATSC 3.0 market before DRM is sorted out.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I had read this somewhere but has that been confirmed by someone at SD or just internet speculation (which may be correct)? As I have one of their 4k tuners, I'm hoping its not true or the FCC steps in but it does highlight the challenges/risks of Manhattan-Digital jumping into the ATSC 3.0 market before DRM is sorted out.
SD will never admit it. It's NOT speculation either, as I have a first-hand source in the industry that told me directly, and I believe them. There's no way A3SA will allow the present HDHR 4k tuners to decode DRM/Encryption. Are they capable of doing so? YES! Is A3SA concerned with the design possibly being compromised? YES!

My understanding is that ATSC 3.0 uses Google Widevine DRM encryption. Assuming this is correct, any new STB from Manhattan-Digital will need to be running Android or Google TV if ATSC 3.0 is to be functional. Can Jeff hire programmers to write a stable fully functional DVB app for Android? I'd love to see it happen. That said, I'd still be concerned that the resources required to support both DVB-S2 and ATSC 3.0 might result in lesser feature set for both compared to product dedicated to ATSC 3.0 or DVB-S2. Is there are a plan for providing Android updates or will it be like most existing Android STB boxes? Looking forward to hearing more information.

Streaming from OSmio4K to TV