Please Help!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SunBright

Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
I need to know if it is possible that my account has been hacked, and I will try to keep my post short.

First off, I paid my bill on Feb. 28th. The next day there was an e-mail from DirecTv with my password request, which I did not request. I contacted customer service via e-mail, and told them that I was concerned that someone was trying to access my account. They sent a standard response that this was not possible, and that their site is secure. I know it is their standard response, because I have been researching this all day and have now seen it posted several times.

Now, the problem...

I have $150 of adult movies on my bill that were ordered over a period of ten days - many with orders 3 per day and only 30-60 minutes apart. I have interrogated my husband and son to the point that I am convinced they did not order these movies. In fact, my son's receiver has not been connected for about a year, until very recently...the middle of March. Moreover, the phone line is not connected to the receiver.

I set the ratings and spending limits long ago, and do not understand how anyone could order these movies with the settings the way they are. Furthermore, I work from home and work all night. The living room and my son's room are merely steps away from my office, and I keep the door open...meaning I hear what is on the television all the time. As well, I am the one who turns the televisions off, and that is usually around 10-10:30 nightly.

I have had DirecTv for about 5 years now, and this has never been an issue before. After my discussion with customer service today, I am seriously thinking about discontinuing my service. (That discussion is a whole other topic that I will not post here.)

During my research, I did find where hacking was an issue early on. However, I need to know if it is still an ongoing issue. If so, is there anyway that I can tell if this is the reason why I am suddenly getting daily adult movie charges?

Can anyone help me with these questions?

P.S. My son is barely 11, if anyone is wondering. As well, my husband knows to order any adult movies from our bedroom receiver and nowhere else.

I'm pretty sure that you can look in the stb's menu to see what movies have been ordered from them. If they aren't listed in the history then you should contact D* via phone to see what happened.

dgordo said:
I'm pretty sure that you can look in the stb's menu to see what movies have been ordered from them. If they aren't listed in the history then you should contact D* via phone to see what happened.

I did check this out, and they do show up on the menu, with the exception of three that show up on my "Transactions since last statement" via the website, but they do not show up on the menu.

I guess I just do not understand how the adult movies can be ordered when I set the ratings/spending limits long ago to avoid this very issue. When I checked the purchases, I also checked those settings - they were the same as when I set them.

Like I said, this has never been an issue before. Suddenly, I have 16 movies listed within a ten day period. My husband has no reason to lie to me, as he has ordered them before...no big deal, but the agreement is that they will only be ordered from our bedroom receiver. That receiver's rating/spending limits are set to allow this, but the others are not.

I also do not understand how the movies from my son's receiver are being downloaded to D* if the phone line is not connected.

We have the "old" Hughes receivers, and wondered if it is possible that I've been hacked.

If you have the new cards it is unlikely that your account has been hacked.
Are the movies being ordered from your son's room?
It is possible that he knows how to change the limits.

if it was hacked it would show on the bill but not the cards (HISTORY) the shows were ordered from your recievers, sorry

DRAGON

Thanks Guys. This is the information I needed. I guess the family gets to go without any satellite until somebody finally fesses up here. It will be disconnected tomorrow.

I can tell that the if the movie was ordered before the phone line was unhooked and than you hooked the phone line back up it has just download what ever was on there before the same thing happen to my parent the grandkids was hook the phone line up just to order a movie and than unhooking it than they hook it up and left it and they got hit big time and the kid finally admit what they did.

Don't get me wrong i am not say that is what happened in you case but i know that is what happen to my parents.

tyork

Well, I have to lean towards believing the more informed people on this site. I have already removed the receivers. The service will be shut down tomorrow.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dual tuner connection

Directv Renames 2 Starz Channels (SD)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)