please give me the straight story.

odie

Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
Now that shvera is in effect will i loose my ny/la distant nets? I currently receive my local DMA and ny/la. I am in a bonfide white area and am worried because some people say I will loose them. Others say I will have to choose between my local dma or my distants. Please give the straight sccop. I hope I will be able to keep it just as it is now my locals + ny/la. I live in waycross GA which is in ware county andt the jacksonville FL dma.

Everything I've heard is that you keep em if you got em. Don't drop your service level and they're grandfathered.

Anyone feel free to correct me

That's correct. If you have them, you can keep them. If you ever un-subscribe or switch carriers they are gone for good. One good thing, RV waivers still exist so if you own or know someone who owns a RV you can still get DNS.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
That's correct. If you have them, you can keep them. If you ever un-subscribe or switch carriers they are gone for good. One good thing, RV waivers still exist so if you own or know someone who owns a RV you can still get DNS.

NightRyder
Mighty interesting how Dish gets a bunch of us to rally support for the new legislation and then when it gets here, it really does nothing for real "unserved" households, yet pretty much guarantees satellite providers that their customers won't dare switch or even complain too loud for fear of losing what little they've got. Think it's all a coincidence ?

waltinvt said:
Mighty interesting how Dish gets a bunch of us to rally support for the new legislation and then when it gets here, it really does nothing for real "unserved" households, yet pretty much guarantees satellite providers that their customers won't dare switch or even complain too loud for fear of losing what little they've got. Think it's all a coincidence ?

Actually were lucky we still have any DNS access. The NAB members hate DNS and if were up to them DNS and the Superstations would be gone. I really don't see any conspiracy on the satellite side, legislation gets changed, compromises are made. The satellite companies would love to be able to sell any channel to anyone, anywhere. Doesn't matter to them, just puts more $ in their pockets. I do wish the grandfathered DNS were portable between providers but the NAB would never have let that happen. Sigh....

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Actually were lucky we still have any DNS access. The NAB members hate DNS and if were up to them DNS and the Superstations would be gone. I really don't see any conspiracy on the satellite side, legislation gets changed, compromises are made. The satellite companies would love to be able to sell any channel to anyone, anywhere. Doesn't matter to them, just puts more $ in their pockets. I do wish the grandfathered DNS were portable between providers but the NAB would never have let that happen. Sigh....

NightRyder
Here's one for you - maybe a sign of things to come.

In my DMA (Vermont) all the local affilliates formed a cozy little coalition to build a common transmitting site in one location. Enviormental protests delay construction permits. These afflilliates are basically off the digital hook for at least 2 or 3 more years and have no threat of digital OTA competition from each other.

Because none of the networks are O & O in this DMA and sat provides analog LILs, nobody is allowed these new distant HD nets from "D" and those that already had any of the distant nets (HD or analog) from either "D" or "E" will probably lose them in a couple of months.

So this one CBS affilliate cuts an exclusive deal for it's HD signal with one cable source.
It's assured that satellite can't come in and compete with an HD distant signal.
There's no competition among cable companies because they all have their own little niches.
And they're still allowed to keep their analog station for who knows how long.

If every affilliate does a deal like this, the digital transition could take forever.

Moving Atlanta locals?

811 DVI to HDMI on Sony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts