Philo "strech-o-vision" issue

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Have any Philo users noticed that the service stretches older 4:3 content to fit 16:9? For instance, older programs on the Military History Channel. When the program starts to play, the aspect ratio is correct, but then it stretches out to 16:9. Drives me nuts.

Have any Philo users noticed that the service stretches older 4:3 content to fit 16:9? For instance, older programs on the Military History Channel. When the program starts to play, the aspect ratio is correct, but then it stretches out to 16:9. Drives me nuts.
I don't have Philo, but years ago on another service when they did this, you could go into your tv sets settings, and change the ASPECT RATIO setting to fix it. Maybe that could work for you.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
It may be the network doing it. I'll try to remember to look the next time I have it on. I usually don't watch live and only have a dozen or so things that record throughout the year. I'd probably not keep it, but I'm still grandfathered in at $20 a month. I'd rather keep it and the dvr to skip commercials than pay for ad free versions of the couple of streaming platforms I'd need for those few shows.

I should check GetTv out on Philo and see if it's stretched too. My mom watches Walker Texas Ranger on GetTv OTA from our local affiliate and its in stretch-o-vision, whereas Walker on H&I from a different local affiliate isn't and I know H&I on Philo has shows in the correct aspect ratio as I've recorded a few.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Paramount +

HBO Max/Discovery+ Merger