Percentage of HD Penetration

I know people that have HDTV and Cox HD box. They think all programing is HD, because the picture on the new tv is so much better than the old boxes.

That's a great point. However I think it will be a long time before WA is all MPEG 4. I mean heck DISH is just now switching ancient QPSK receivers to the now-already-obsolete 8PSK MPEG 2 receivers.
I'm going to disagree with you on that. It's the perfect time for Mr. E to tell Tivo where to stick it. Replace all MPEG 2 units then Tivo would have to start over with their attempt to extort more $$ out of E*.

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but Dish Network is still handing out SD equipment to people who's credit they can't access or don't like. I subscribed early this year and they installed SD equipment, no HD-for-life, nothing -- and I had to pay for the installation. I have an (admittedly old and low-end) HD tv, but the programming is all SD stretchovision. My guess would be that, given that Dish Network has historically advertised itself as a value or bargain service, given this policy, the HD penetration levels are pretty low -- because you'll have a lot of people without perfect credit signing up, and if even new subscribers under some circumstances aren't given HD stuff even if they want or request it...

This policy is pretty poor customer relations. People who see an advertisement for free HD for life and free installation, and then are charged for installation and given SD-only, and know they are paying the same monthly price for the same programming as people who *do* get HD, tend not to be totally satisfied customers. When you know you're a second class customer, the second your contract expires, you're a lot less likely to feel a sense of loyalty that would keep you from jumping ship for one of those low introductory cable offers that may even have HD. It doesn't sit well if you're poor to know you're paying the same as some rich guy, making a greater budgetary sacrifice, and yet he gets HD for no additional charge and you don't.

It would be nice if someone from "E" could share numbers from 3 years ago until now. Of course there may be no numbers. I would think that the migration towards HD would be accelerating pretty rapidly these days because of several things happening. The boomers are much more technically oriented than the generation they replace. The under 60 crowd is so exposed to HD that for them and their children the experience is a must. When that old TV bites the dust it WILL be replaced with HD and the prices are quite acceptable. These days almost all major broadcasts are available in HD. We as a culture love our sports which is greatly enhanced via HD. And last but not least, don't under estimate the power of the "keeping up with the Jones" syndrome. Marketing is a powerful tool.

I'm going to disagree with you on that. It's the perfect time for Mr. E to tell Tivo where to stick it. Replace all MPEG 2 units then Tivo would have to start over with their attempt to extort more $$ out of E*.

While that makes sense, so far DISH is not doing that. As evidenced by the post below you, they still hand out MPEG 2 equipment. I imagine replacing all those MPEG 2 receivers and just throwing them away would cost quite a fortune.

All I can say is I hope they will do as you say, but we'll see.

They should just buy out TIVO and put them out of their misery :D .

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law bought a 42" 720p Panny Plasma last year and hooked it up to their 522 SD DVR.

They were completely blown away when I hooked up rabbit ears to their new TV and showed them what REAL HDTV looked like OTA.

They still have the 522 and a D500 - haven't talked them into upgrading to ViP HD receiver yet.

A Bunch of Dish Questions

question about CNN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)