PC DBS card for satellite internet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tzouse

Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
Hi, i recently bought the visionplus PC card with the intention of setting up a one way internet service on my PC

To my surprise the signal i received with the card was about 20% less than that on my FTA receiver on KU band and i kept getting an error message that says "not enough signal" or something like that........

So now i'm thinking of moving the setup to a 10 foot c-band dish i have lying around.

i need some advise on:

1 - is c-band a good choice for one way internet service?
2 - howto connect the DBS card to the c-band lnb, do i need a different lnb?
3 - better options

any help appreciated

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum :wave

Let the members know where you are in the world so that we can be of more help.

Quick note: Visionplus / Twinhan DVB cards are notably wacky in signal/quality levels, especially when comparing them to other recievers like the Coolsat or even the Nexus PCI sat card. From my experience I've determined the numbers are pretty much meaningless. Even off the DBS birds, using a DBS lnb, the max the signal meter will go up to is 82%. The most quality I've ever found is on 3ABN, where I can get 90%. My Twinhan 102g can hold a smooth picture around 34% Quality; any less and it squeaks, pauses, or breaks up. Cascade recently did a review of the USB Twinhan version, and the numbers seemed much more "true."

Anyhow, just a quick side-note :D

tzouse, welcome to the forums :)

Satellite internet is primarily Ku band, your C-Band dish and LNB won't be of much use for internet.
You'll have to sign up for new service via Wildblue or one of the other providers who may provide you with a dedicated satellite modem.

Simply aiming your dish at a satellite won't get you on the 'net :)

Wow, you guys are on the ball!

I'm actually located in the caribbean but because of uncle sam's policy on who installs the equipment i have to try the next best. I chose the DBS/FTA setup because i'm subscribed to a sat mag that keeps prompting me with a full page to try c-band satellite internet with the visionplus card! It seemed like the best trial/cost-to-failure option

I'm currently watching FTA with a 5 foot KU dish pointing at echostar with signal in the +/- 70%

Still i have no problems with getting the 'real' equipment, i just need to know what to buy and where to get the service. I also have 64/128 DSL so I want to try the one way service first...

Thanks again

Try Sky Vision. www.skyvision.com

They offer a service called sky express at www.skyxpress.net

When I checked into it over a year ago you could get a satellite downlink insternet service $29.95 and would need a dial up provider for the upstream traffic.

Thye had both C and KU signals, KU was located on AMC6. I never got the sevide because I have line of site issues with AMC6 and it is sort of expensive.

Wholeshoe

That's the mag i'm subscribed to.

But tell me, is a dedicated satellite modem always a better way for sat internet compared to the DBS card option?

I think they are saying that if you dedicate a card and dish to the internet you can surf while atching tv, if you didnt have a dedicated dish and switched tv channels to a different polarity or satellite you could lose your internet too.

Wholeshoe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New Trimax T-100 is it a blind scan receiver?

What is a feed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts