Status
Please reply by conversation.

CharredPC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 21, 2005
Lakebay, WA
I just did a scan of all the transponders on lyngsat's AMC3 list (plus a few extras). I'm trying to hunt down a workable PBS, but before I close this scan results window I noticed the following 'discrepencies' (extras included)...

11726 V - NMSU - New Mexico State University Instructional TV
Transponder locked in, but nothing on it. Not too worried about this one ;)

11817 V - There is no audio track! (Unplayable)

11898 V - There is no audio track! (Unplayable)

11984 V - GPTV - Nothing found, No transponder... ?

12005 V - There is no audio track! (Unplayable)

12048 V - Florida Stuff - Transponder locked in, nothing found on it... ?

12096 V - PBS - Nothing found, No transponder... ?

12140 V - WYDN - Nothing found, No transponder... ?

12180 V - PBS - Nothing found, No transponder... ?

11719 H - The Patient Channel - Transponder locked in, nothing found on it... ? Again, not terribly worried about this one either.

11971 H - Channel 5 - Washington - Weak signal, maybe also encrypted.

12072 H - LPB / PBS - Nothing found, No transponder... ?

12110 H - PBS - 5 Channels at 31% Quality, VERY rarely gets a picture for a second.

12128 H - PBS HDTV - Nothing found, No transponder... ?

12151 H - CPB - Nothing found, No transponder... ?

12161 H - PBS Feed - Weak Signal, but enough to see it works.

12164 H - Montana PBS - Transponder locked in, nothing found on it... ?

I didn't include all the stuff I actually found that should be there. So I would assume I'm not finding everything due to 1) dish not being 'peaked' enough on this sat or 2) my Twinhan can't understand DC2. The problem with the latter is it found the PBS Feed on 12161 H, which is supposed to be DC2.
I'm hoping some kind person will let me know if these are just the weakest transponders I'm having trouble getting, or is it something else?

I'm going to try peaking the dish a bit, though the lnb is already slid all the way back (which improved things by several % in quality on most sats) and the left/right using the SG2100 is peaked too. Maybe a little height adjusting? From what I understand, skewing the lnb is pointless with a motor.

PS. Is that Rush on 11723 H, left side audio? :yes:

As far as I'm aware you can't pick up digicipher with the twinhan.
The only explanation I can think of is they temporarily changed encryption - I can't see AMC3 so I couldn't give a definite answer.

BTW - where are you getting your transponderlist from for AMC3?

What software are you using?
I'll try your list and see what I come up with.

CharredPC said:
I just did a scan of all the transponders on lyngsat's AMC3 list (plus a few extras). I'm trying to hunt down a workable PBS, but before I close this scan results window I noticed the following 'discrepencies' (extras included)...

11719 H - The Patient Channel - Transponder locked in, nothing found on it... ? Again, not terribly worried about this one either.

12110 H - PBS - 5 Channels at 31% Quality, VERY rarely gets a picture for a second.

I didn't include all the stuff I actually found that should be there. So I would assume I'm not finding everything due to 1) dish not being 'peaked' enough on this sat or 2) my Twinhan can't understand DC2. The problem with the latter is it found the PBS Feed on 12161 H, which is supposed to be DC2.
I'm hoping some kind person will let me know if these are just the weakest transponders I'm having trouble getting, or is it something else?

I'm going to try peaking the dish a bit, though the lnb is already slid all the way back (which improved things by several % in quality on most sats) and the left/right using the SG2100 is peaked too. Maybe a little height adjusting? From what I understand, skewing the lnb is pointless with a motor.

CharredPC said:
The problem with the latter is it found the PBS Feed on 12161 H, which is supposed to be DC2.
Wait, I'm not sure I follow - what is the problem agin?

As I write this, I am picking up with my TwinHan 5 PBS channels (including PBS HD), a Bloomberg feed and some channels in Arabic (all of these perectly wtchable). I'm also seeing a bunch of data feeds (I think) but I woldn't know what to do with those...

Please let me know if you need any speciffics.

Michael

Specifics would help! I'm not seeing any PBS, except for that one really weak feed. PBS HD would be really nice, but I'd settle on regular ones. I'm using MyTheatre (stop giving me that look, Cascade!), a Universal LNB, and a 31" Winegard. I tried skewing the lnb for the heck of it; for some reason it actually helped by a few %! The Tube now comes in around 34-35% instead of 31-33%. If I can come up with a few more tweaks like that, I'll be quite content.

Cascade: I'm using a combo of the original ProgDVB transponder list, the default MyTheatre lists, then I update as needed with Lyngsat. Makes for a slightly longer scan, but I often pick up things on older transponders that aren't on Lyngsat.

EDIT PS: Wait, if skewing the lnb helps, doesn't that mean my SG2100's arc is a bit off?

Well - with a motor added to the mix - it may be more complicated :)

First - how are you moving your motor? With MyTheatre? With a regular receiver (other than your TwinHan card)? Or with some other program (like THmover for example)? Do you have a way to move the motor one step at a time east or west? I know it helped me with my motorized dish (tho I'm picking up AMC3 with a stationary stand-alone dish - as I consider AMC3 to be just about the only bird out there worth picking up).

As for PBS HD - it comes up as "Nameless 12128000_SID3" in DVBDream. Frequency is 12128000 H; symbol rate is 14025000; sid 3; tid 1; nid1 (whatever these things are...)

Hope this helps,
Michael

I'm in Orem, UT (about 40° 13' N, 111° 43' W). I'm using MyTheatre's software to move the dish. It does stepping, yes, which is how I've internally tweaked things. I have about 15 sat's saved, and MT drives the dish to them automatically upon station selection.

My thought on the skew, and how it might show that my arc is off if I have to adjust it, is based on this thought:
skew.gif

I know, that's really exaggurated, but I wanted to explain it clearly. If I'm slightly off in that manner, say, mounted a little too far East, wouldn't I be sort of catching the "tail end" or the edge of each sat signal, hence lower Strength/Quality? Or am I overthinking things? :)

I did a quick scan of:
12128 PBS HD, Video and audio is fine.
12161 PBS Feed, Video and audio is fine.
12164 Montana PBS, Video and audio is fine.

CharredPC said:

ty; I threw ProgDVB and DiseqU on the HTPC, and found out my arc is off. That could explain some things! It's not WAY off, but it needs some alignment. Trying to do that now... will keep you all posted ;)

Ok, arc was off: motor elevation was off by 2 degrees, the dish angle was off by 2 degrees to compensate, and the whole deal was too far west. After ironing out all that, most satellites are coming in better now... except The Tube on G10. Other G10 transponders are up between 65% - 74% Quality, but not The Tube... still 34-35%. :mad: I hate to admit defeat, but I'm running out of tweaks to try. I'll try re-skewing the lnb tommorrow, and see if I can drag it back up... I had it at 37-38% Quality earlier, before properly aligning things... :confused:

Stayed up way too late again tweaking each sat position in MyTheatre. I can now go to Echo3 at 61.5W, pick it up with no problem, and even get good quality! I -should- be able to pull in Nahuel 1, then.... but no :p Can anyone recommend a good transponder for 72W? It shouldn't be this hard to find... I've found and saved the positions for every single Ku bird except the Nimiq's, the Anik's, 110 & 119, and Galaxy 4... will do those today to have everything mapped out.

DANG I love having perfect line-of-sight to each horizon :D

Oh, one last thing. Has anyone ever gotten a non-North American bird in the states? Like, NSS 5 or Amazonas? In theory the angle seems doable if my line of sight is really great (7-10 degrees above horizon for Amazonas, if I recall correctly from last night). Yeah, I know, I should just be happy to get what I have so well.... but isn't FTA-ing all about trying for more, better, and that extra mile? :cool:

I think I remeber PSB talking about having been able to see Amazonas.

PAS9 is as far as I can see east - but that is due to houses / fences etc in the way :). If I could get a motorized dish on the roof I'd also have a perfect south view H to H.

Nahuel's beam is to Argentina / LAC. I think we are in the wrong hemisphere to see it ;). It's worth swing'n the dish that way and seeing what you can see.

I'll give it a shot tonight. I'll even dial in 71.8 for the position :).

AMC6 on the other hand....

Nahuels you cant get...the beam isnt for the US...We have AMC6 for that :)

As pete said, you need to be in the footprint....on Lyngsat, it says the beam. If you are not in the footprint, you wont be able to see it

Thanks Iceberg......... Its always a good idea to refresh the page before you post I find!

Hey I am getting a test signal from Nahuels at 72w With my new Invacom.......remember I told you! Its info about the Nahuels satellite.

Iceberg said:
Nahuels you cant get...the beam isnt for the US...We have AMC6 for that :)

As pete said, you need to be in the footprint....on Lyngsat, it says the beam. If you are not in the footprint, you wont be able to see it
Hehe - Nimiq 1's beam says Canada and I can see it quite nicely down here in Phoenix :cool: .

I think seeing the Argentina beam is a bit more of a stretch though.

Shawn

It says Canada because that is DBS..Dish/Direct say CONUS or the beam (wherever it may be…northen plains, California, etc)….at Lyngsat, KU band has the beam and you can click on it.

Yes you can get Nimiq1 in Florida…Nimiq3 unlikely because of the way the satellite is shifted towards northern Canada

But all KU & C-Band listings at Lyngsat have a beam that you can click on and see if it will cover your area

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Props to the Mods

Telstar 12 set up on Pansat 2500

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts