overcoming long distance rg6 run

Definitely.

If you're going to buy the RG11 parts, then you'll want the crimper, the compression fittings, and the ground block (since the RG6 ground block "may" work, but it will be a tight fit). They also make barrel connectors and various other style connectors that allow you to splice your RG11 to RG6, which you'll want to do before it enters the actual set top box - although you may get away with shoving RG11 into the connector, I'd pay the few bucks more so that you don't damage something or bend something so that it causes you problems if you ever need to use RG6 in the future.

You dont need any special 'barrel' or ground block or splitters a regular barrel will connect RG6 and RG11, the "other end" of them are the same both 7/16 in size. For RG6 and RG11.

I'm thinking Lumpkin666 was referring "congestion" a person would have on a dual groundblock if they used RG-11 fittings. Things may be too tight to adequately tighten the fittings down. Hence the RG-6 to RG-11 splice-jumper idea.

Hey, I Finally Recieved The Rg11 - Man That Stuff Is Large! Is There Any Adapters Or Good Connectors That Will Adapt To Rg6? Any Barrel Connectors And Or Ground Blocks With Rg6 On One Side And Rg11 On The Other?
Sean

I have used PPC EX11 F-connectors and they fit standard ground blocks and and barrel connectors just fine. The center conductor is the same size as RG6. Note that unlike RG6 and RG59 F connectors, the center connector stinger with the EX11s are NOT a pass through of the RG11 center conductor. They are an integral part of the EX11. In other words, the stinger is part of the F-connector right out of the bag.

RG11 connectors have the nut side all done for you. It has a standard pin the same measurements as an RG6 center conductor and the dielectric material is preset as well. The RG11 just needs to be properly stripped and inserted into the connector. You should feel a pop when it seats in correctly. You can also mark the wire about 1/2" below the exposed braid and make sure that the connector seats all the way to that mark to ensure it is properly seated.

As for the tech having RG11 connectors and tools, I would put my money on him not having one. A residential DirecTV tech would rarely need these tools and it would take a few years to recoup that investment considering how seldom he would need them.

Make sure to give ample room for the RG11 bend radius. Also, you need to run a ground wire to the dish location as well. Run a #10 solid copper wire.

What is "TV Overload"?

I Have A Question About The Digital Transition

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)