overcoming long distance rg6 run

pseank

Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
I have had directv since 96 - installed myself on 2 homes. When locals became available they worked ok-then they added a satellite and they were lost due to trees. No big deal, Now I want HD and either I cut a bunch of trees or mount the new dish 400 ft from my house - Installer felt that was too long - wife wont let me cut trees. Are there amplifiers that would do this job for me?
Thanks for any advice
Sean

Well, now after more careful measuring and rerouting to a much straighter line (UNDER AN ELECTRIC FENCE) buried I am pretty sure I can get to 250' from the receiver. After much more research on this site (thanks for all the info), I am still a bit confused. At this distance, under an electric fence. buried close to the ground rods(for the electric fence) I am thinking rg6 quad? 4 runs - (2 for spares). Hey guys I have done cars all my life so I just need your advise as I know very little about this. Dont mind spending the cash for quad solid core if it will work. dont mind trenching and having the cable buried before the installer gets here. But what a bummer if still no HD for the new bravia kds-50a3000
Thanks, Sean

400 feet is waaaay too far. I'm not a big fan of amplifiers. At least when it comes to DBS installs.

Now that you've found a corner to cut and actually got it down to 250', then yes...quad shield RG-6 will be fine. Dish states 200'...but I've done several installs with 250 - 275 and no calls back yet.

Why not try some RG11 ? (im not sat expert only cable forgive me if thats stupid) but RG11 has a lot less loss per 100ft then RG6, it may even be enough difference to keep you from needing any kinda amplification.

My only gripe with RG-11 (or even RG-7) is that it's soooooo freaking expensive. With that said, every spool of 7 or 11 I've ever come across was flooded. So that certainly helps things when it comes to burial.

Well they have house, underground (flooded) and Ariel (with the messenger) pretty much anything you can find in RG6 you can find in RG11..

I AM LEANING TOWARD RG11 - Commscope's model 4544103 is a PVC jacketed RG-11 type coaxial cable with a 14 gauge copper covered steel center conductor and has a gas-injected foam polyethylene insulation. The cable is 100% swept tested from 5 MHz-1 GHz - Would a solid copper rg6 quad be better - I would think the rg11 would be better but I know squat about this. The specs on sweep test seem far superior to solid copper rg6.
I really appreciate the help you sat guys are giving me!
Sean

not to mention,

:cool:the connectors require a high dollar tool to install.it does hook rite up to all rg 75ohm connections.if you know someone in the cable industry it could be done fairly cheap.i got a bag of crimp on 90* connectors free from my cable buddy.havent needed one yet,but i got em,lol.

Well, I bought a 1000 foot roll of rg11- It looks like the compression tool works on all cable so I hope the directv installer has the fittings and the tool. I will run 4 passes from the satellite location with plenty to spare so he can pick good location for ground block. Heck, I think I will just trench and then just let him run my cable - that way he has what he needs on both ends. If I can figure out how to get a message to the installer about the fittings. Directv never -----I mean NEVER-----WILL RELAY A MESSAGE TO THE INSTALLER. I was hoping to get the same installer I had out last time but alas---no return call---I dont know why I am suprised. I will let you know how it turns out. especially for the other Dummies like me.
Thanks again guys
Sean

...I will run 4 passes from the satellite location with plenty to spare...
Simple Math tells me that you won't have much to spare with 4 runs of cable, if you bought 1000ft of cable and the run is 250ft ;)

Seriously, I applaud your willingness to pay the extra $$$ for the "good stuff". If you're not going to lay the cable for him (can't imagine what he'd "need" to have done that goes beyond laying it out and burying it, but whatever), I'd at least offer to help lay it... and definitely offer to bury it yourself. ALSO, I'd be very leery of expecting the installer to have RG11 tools and fittings. Although it'd be cool if every installer had a plethora of great tools and parts, this just isn't something that every installer is going to spring the extra $$$ to have on hand.

Thanks Lumpkin666, I guess what I meant was 250 from reciever to ground block in basement and then to lnb - its about 25' to the reciever from the ground block and that cable is already there. Hope I have enough. Anyway I would never expect an installer to bury my cable, or run it. On the other hand as a proffesional in the auto industry, I know how annoying it is to have the owner mess up everything. All I really need from the installer is the dish set up and to make sure it works. Also from looking at the tools it seems the rg6 and the rg11 compression tool is the same??? At any rate I will tell the people at dtv to make sure he has what is needed. I mean he will need no cable at all so the fittings should not be too muh to ask! And I went with the good stuff cause I am terrified it will not work, if I it dosent $200.00 down the crapper. Any tips on how to contact an installer when you never know who dtv will send - I know they will never tell them special instructions or requests.
Thanks again
Sean

$200 is not a bad price for some good quality RG11! The tool is definitely not the same though. RG11 and it's fittings are much larger than RG6. My compression tool will not accept the larger sized cable or fittings. However, there are some tools that are designed with slots that will fit different sized cables/fittings.

I'm sure the guy will appreciate your work, and your supplies. I just hope that he has the necessary equipment/supplies to work with your setup. As for contacting the installer to get a note to them.. there is literally no way to be certain that they get the information. Even if they put notes in the system, from what I hear, the dispatch process is so botched up at some places that they don't even know what they are going to the location for many times. Just do your best to have the information noted on the account by the call center person, and hope that doing that will be enough.

Good luck!

Commscope's model 4544103 is a PVC jacketed RG-11 type coaxial cable with a 14 gauge copper covered steel center conductor and has a gas-injected foam polyethylene insulation. The cable is 100% swept tested from 5 MHz-1 GHz -----Thats what I bought on ebay --- after shipping it was under $180.00 for 1000' I hope it is ok and I really appreciate all your advice everyone!

Sean

Well, I bought a 1000 foot roll of rg11- It looks like the compression tool works on all cable so I hope the directv installer has the fittings and the tool. I will run 4 passes from the satellite location with plenty to spare so he can pick good location for ground block. Heck, I think I will just trench and then just let him run my cable - that way he has what he needs on both ends. If I can figure out how to get a message to the installer about the fittings. Directv never -----I mean NEVER-----WILL RELAY A MESSAGE TO THE INSTALLER. I was hoping to get the same installer I had out last time but alas---no return call---I dont know why I am suprised. I will let you know how it turns out. especially for the other Dummies like me.
Thanks again guys
Sean

I seriously...SERIOUSLY doubt the installer will have the crimpers and fittings. As StevenL can attest to, the fittings are a bit larger, and as such the crimpers are also larger. Last time I checked, the fittings alone are $3/each.

Rats. There goes another $80.00. (ebay)
I assume compression is the only way to go

Sean
Definitely.

If you're going to buy the RG11 parts, then you'll want the crimper, the compression fittings, and the ground block (since the RG6 ground block "may" work, but it will be a tight fit). They also make barrel connectors and various other style connectors that allow you to splice your RG11 to RG6, which you'll want to do before it enters the actual set top box - although you may get away with shoving RG11 into the connector, I'd pay the few bucks more so that you don't damage something or bend something so that it causes you problems if you ever need to use RG6 in the future.

You dont need any special 'barrel' or ground block or splitters a regular barrel will connect RG6 and RG11, the "other end" of them are the same both 7/16 in size. For RG6 and RG11.

My limited experience with RG11 has shown me that the center conductor on RG11 is just enough larger that if you dont use connectors designed for RG11, you'll bend the connector inside the barrel.. not only can it prove difficult to get the conductor inside the connector on some connectors, but the integrity of the connection is compromised by squeezing the over sized center connector into the barrel. YMMV

What is "TV Overload"?

I Have A Question About The Digital Transition

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)