OTA HD Recording Question

phoenician

Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
How easy is it to schedule OTA HD recording. Without having the EPG for OTA, how do you schedule shows to record? Do you have the ability to schedule by time and date? Does it work well? How reliable is it?

Thanks.

Phoenician, welcome to Satelliteguys.

I set OTA timers by using my local channels I receive from dish. Simply, I set a timer for the LIL channel, then edit the timer changing the channel to the OTA channel. I use this method without any problem.

You can also do what is called a manual timer by setting the channel, day, and start and end time.

I have a couple of questions that I could not find the answer.

1.) Can the 921 view OTA HD/DT channels without be subscribed?
2.) Can the 921 view OTA HD/DT channels without being connected to the dish?
3.) Can the 921 record OTA HD/DT on the above two questions.

Thanks,
Mike

(I should be receiving a 921 in a couple of days. I am a little worried with all this talk about Dish switching to MPEG4. If my 921 can still be used as a OTA PVR without paying the $5 month PVR and $5 mirror fee, I don't feel like it will be a waste).

Chiledog, Welcome to Satelliteguys.

I'm not sure about your 3 questions as I have not tried it personally. I do know that although dish would like to go to MPEG 4, it may be a year or more before that can happen. As far as the Call yesterday with Charlie being so doom and gloom, remember, He was a professional Poker player before going into the Satellite business. So don't be suprised if he doesn't have a pair of pocket Ace's tucked away.

chiledog said:
I have a couple of questions that I could not find the answer.

Thanks,
Mike

(I should be receiving a 921 in a couple of days. I am a little worried with all this talk about Dish switching to MPEG4. If my 921 can still be used as a OTA PVR without paying the $5 month PVR and $5 mirror fee, I don't feel like it will be a waste).

I would be really ineterested in the answers to chiledogs questions. Is there anyone i can email or anyone that can answer these questions? if it is obsolete in a year can i put it in another room and use it as a stand alone OTA HD reciever without a dish connection just an antenna? Can a CSR answer this?

I get all my OTA reception, through the 921, by using an ota antenna for local stations. Here in Tampa we have 10 or more HD stations and all come in good with the antenna, plus I can record both HD and SD programs on the 921 with no problems. Through the antenna you do not need to subscribe to dish's locals. However, the signal from the antenna must go through the 921 HD receiver. I subscribe to the HD package which costs me 9.95 a month. The DVR cost to record locals plus satellite is about 5.00 a month. Both are well worth it. Good Luck. Dewey Tampa Fl.

thanks dewey
but when you say the antenna has to go through the dish receiver does that mean you have to have an active dish cable going into it also or can you just have the antenna hooked up and use the 921 as a stand alone OTA receiver?

Yes.
I have not checked this but it is the behavior of the 6000 and 811. I have not reason to doubt the 921 behaves differently.

No.
I have not checked this but it is the behavior of the 6000 and 811. I have not reason to doubt the 921 behaves differently.

Probably not.
The 921 is subject to the "VOD" fee. If you are not subscribed it is most likely this feature will be inactive.

thanks Kent
well i guess if thats the final answer, and i am sure you are right you sound like a smart guy, then i will look at the best deal i can get on an LG OTA HDTV receiver/recorder. The best price i have been seeing is a little over 600 but at least i know it will work a year from now and it will work on any tv i want to put it on.
The only thing i was planning on recording was OTA stuff anyway. the only setback is not being able to record any HBO movies in HD. Oh well that woiuld only last a year anyway.
Thanks again Kent. Thats exactly what i needed to know.
Rich

richmert,

You may want to try the new Sony DVRs coming out in Dec, the Sony DHGHDD500 or Sony DHGHDD250.

I think the 250 (with a 250G HD) retails for $800. The 500 (with a 500 HD) retails for $1000.

Mike

cool thanks for the idea. i will definitely check them out. i am just discouraged because i was hoping to stay with a Dish solution if i have to pay over 500 dollars but i was also hoping there would be lots more high definition on Dish to record by spring which also brings my one year subscription to an end. hopefully someone else will jump into the HD DVR mix and prices will start coming down.

Downgrading Programming!!!!

is there any way

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)