OTA HD Experiance

amx

Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Hi everone, I have been reading these forums for couple weeks now since i got my TV and 811. Basically i wanted to receive over OTA signal. So here i am after weeks of learning, buying and installing and now the end product. I just want to share my personal experiance which might help others who are wanting to get OTA singal. I installed the 811 with the HD package and i am in awe with the plasma picture quality. speically the disney channel, i love it. I wanted more HD content so i was planning on buying the Channel master UHF 8 bay antenna but could not find it in local stores. Finally went to radioshack and i went and bought a UHF antenna which was only 24 bucks, this one.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-2160
I insalled this antenna in the attic with attic mount in less then an hour. Its pretty easy if you are the DIY types. Antenna is great and i lock on to signals at 75% - 80% signal quality. Though the towers are only 5 miles from my house.
End result is awesome, i get around 6 OTA Digital channels. Even though they upconvert most of the time, the real HD content like watching Red Sox kill Cardinals is awesome.

here are some pictures of the plasma
Town
Town on TV
Buffalo
Drive

If you have any questions, please ask:)
Enjoy!
~ Akshay
:)

I bought the same antenna and put it in my attic along with the infamous silver sensor, one pointing toward DC and one toward Baltimore. Amazingly, I am able to get 80-90+ signals from Baltimore with the silver sensor (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, MPT, UPN, WB) and 60-70 signals from Washington, DC (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX).

This is great being able to swap between the 2 and you are correct, The World Series in HDTV has been awesome!!!

Jay

I had the same antenna in my attic and it served me well. I did have better results when I connected a 15-1171 +15db gain amp on it. I have recently replaced it with the CM4228 mounted on the roof. I had some dropouts before which are now gone. Plus I installed a rotator which allows much better tuning. :D

I'm another silver sensor fan...get all of Charlotte from the little thing, with towers 40-50 miles from the house!

Maybe the discovery channel??? I'm using a very, very old UHF antenna about 25 ft. off the ground. It works great on the only full power HD broadcast I can get, CBS about 30 miles away 415Kw 900ft high. I get around 88 signal. The FOX channel I'd like to get is running at 5.3Kw (3.6Kw according to the tech I talked to) and 456ft tall--I can almost get it 32 miles away. One of the other towers is 43 miles away with 1.36Kw and only 271ft high!! The tech I talked to told me the HD transmitter costs about 1/2 a million. Too bad they don't have to be full power for a while.
http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp is a handy site. I had already called and got most of the info, one lady told me they she never heard of the HDTV channel and that they do NBC. :confused: Another lady said she had no idea what HDTV is. CSI was pretty cool last night with HDTV, watched the whole show without any problems. Hard to believe that old UHF antenna could pick-up a signal with that much quality.

New Dish Network International Price Increase

More DISH Home Features Now Available

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)