OTA Channels HR-20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dstritt

Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
I recently had a technician come out to install a HR-20 because I thought they had opened it up to the OTA channels. He told me that OTA channels are not activated in Pennsylvania. This is opposite of what I was told over the phone by the person that took my order. What is the truth?? He wanted to intall the dish on my roof with 10 lag bolts, which I refused. I installed a chain-link fence poll in 2 feet of cement which makes it 6 feet above the ground and open to the southern sky. Does anyone have problems with wind flexing the pole with the dish being 33 x 28??

I recently had a technician come out to install a HR-20 because I thought they had opened it up to the OTA channels. He told me that OTA channels are not activated in Pennsylvania. This is opposite of what I was told over the phone by the person that took my order. What is the truth?? He wanted to intall the dish on my roof with 10 lag bolts, which I refused. I installed a chain-link fence poll in 2 feet of cement which makes it 6 feet above the ground and open to the southern sky. Does anyone have problems with wind flexing the pole with the dish being 33 x 28??

As for your OTA questions, it depends on exactly what they were refering to.
In the beginning, the HR20-700 did not have OTA capability, it was there, but not activated yet.,

The HR20-700 has had OTA ability since Dec. 7th of last year, date might be a few days off, but in that area.
Or were they talking about your locals not being available over the sat data stream yet (mpeg4) ?

As for your pole, it should work, but I would have used a stronger pole. It depends on what pole you actually used.
I used a 16' Galvinized 2" pole (actually 1" 7/8 th) and modified it slightly because the dish is designed for a 2" pole but I could not find exactly a 2".
Thats said, mine has worked great since the day I was set up.
I planted the pole and the installer placed the dish.

Jimbo

Last edited:
OTA to HR-20

First, the local channels are available in our area in HD over the 99 or 103 satellite. They were talking about the software not being available for the box to receive the OTA channels therefore the box was not open.

Second, the pipe I used is 8' galvanized, 2 3/8" inside diameter pipe, so that the 2" pole could be slipped down into it. This was the closest I could find to a 2" pole.

Do you know if you can amplify a digital OTA signal, like you used to be able to amplify analog signals? I have trouble with OTA signals pixelating, and it seems like when the leaves are on the trees the signal is better.

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

First, the local channels are available in our area in HD over the 99 or 103 satellite. They were talking about the software not being available for the box to receive the OTA channels therefore the box was not open.

Second, the pipe I used is 8' galvanized, 2 3/8" inside diameter pipe, so that the 2" pole could be slipped down into it. This was the closest I could find to a 2" pole.

Do you know if you can amplify a digital OTA signal, like you used to be able to amplify analog signals? I have trouble with OTA signals pixelating, and it seems like when the leaves are on the trees the signal is better.

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Glad you used the Galvinized, (hopefully it's schedule 40 they thicker of the two, I forgot to mention that I used the 40)

The size is a bit large, but I am sure they come across that problem often.
You got the stronger of the two fence pipes used, that is good, if the dish will fit on it ok.
Normally they will do away with the normal mount and slide the main setup over top of the post.

They (someone) do make signal amps for D*, I have never used one so I cannot reccomend as to how well they work or would help in your situation.

When the leaves are on the trees the signal is better ? That is odd, you would expect it to be just the opposite.

I don't recall where your at, but if D* just turned your city one for locals, pix. is somewhat normal until they fine tune the signal, alot of cities have had this situation in the beginning.

Jimbo

Ok, a couple things need clarification here as it's confusing:

1) OTA channels means using an antenna, not the satellite dish
2) HD locals over the sat are via 99 and 103. Don't refer to these are OTA as they come in via the sat.

So which is it you are trying to receive?
1) HR20 can receive OTA channels via antenna and it's been available since about Thanksgiving last year.
2) HD locals might be available in your area, check the DirecTV website for the list.

As for your pole question, I have an old 1 5/8th metal fence post cemented in the ground. I've got a 2" adapter on it and the 5LNB mounted on that. It doesn't move. In really big wind gusts it wiggles just a little bit but not enough to bother anything. So yes, a pole is just fine and will be very solid assuming properly cemented in the ground.

OTA to HR-20

First, the local channels are available through the satellite on either 99 or 103 satellite. The area is around Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Go Steelers!!)

Second, I have an outside Wingard Sensor III antenna for receiving over-the-air channels.

As for the pole, I am going to fill it up with cement to about 3 feet from the top so that Direct TV can slip their pole into mine and attach with self-tapping screws.

Thank you for all your help.

GO Steelers!!!!! :)

First, the local channels are available through the satellite on either 99 or 103 satellite. The area is around Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Go Steelers!!)

Second, I have an outside Wingard Sensor III antenna for receiving over-the-air channels.

As for the pole, I am going to fill it up with cement to about 3 feet from the top so that Direct TV can slip their pole into mine and attach with self-tapping screws.

Thank you for all your help.

GO Steelers!!!!! :)

I'm not sure that filling the pole up with cement will be a good idea or not, what is this going to accomplish ?
I left mine hollow and covered it with a plug I got from work.
A little bit of movement is not a problem, as mentioned by bonscott, you normally will not get enough movement to lose a signal.
I can actually go out and shake the pole and the dish will move some but will not lose signal.
btw, I also have my pole supported at the house to keep it from moving any further.

Jimbo

Since your are talking about OTA signals and say that you have less problems after the leaves come in on your trees, it doesn't sound like you need a signal amplifier.

The HR20 is supposed to have a much better OTA tuner than the HR10.

I suspect that your problem is more likely that the OTA signal is too strong for the HR20. It is easy enough to check.

Just add a signal splitter between your antenna cable and the HR20.

You should be able to find one at Radio Shack.

If I remember correctly, when I got one it was under $10.

I have mine on a 14 footer so it peaks above my roof - no problems. its set in the ground with rebar going through it and 160lbs of crete, also attached to my fascia board. it's solid, much more than the 3LNB attached to my fascia board before.

I have mine on a 14 footer so it peaks above my roof - no problems. its set in the ground with rebar going through it and 160lbs of crete, also attached to my fascia board. it's solid, much more than the 3LNB attached to my fascia board before.

Johnml,
Your set up is very simular to mine !

Jimbo

Since your are talking about OTA signals and say that you have less problems after the leaves come in on your trees, it doesn't sound like you need a signal amplifier.

The HR20 is supposed to have a much better OTA tuner than the HR10.

I suspect that your problem is more likely that the OTA signal is too strong for the HR20. It is easy enough to check.

Just add a signal splitter between your antenna cable and the HR20.

You should be able to find one at Radio Shack.

If I remember correctly, when I got one it was under $10.

Each splitter should drop your signal by about 3 db each.
My father has that same problem with his OTA in the trailor, to strong of signal.

Jimbo

pardon, the dopey question. if i were to put an antenna on the roof and get my locals ota, i would be able to record on the hr-20? and does that mean i could be recording those in addition, to the 2 channels from the dish? if so, that might eliminate some headche for me!

pardon, the dopey question. if i were to put an antenna on the roof and get my locals ota, i would be able to record on the hr-20? and does that mean i could be recording those in addition, to the 2 channels from the dish? if so, that might eliminate some headche for me!

Yes. The HR20 allows recording of D* directly provided channels and OTA channels. Just keep in mind, if you have the Slimline or AT9 5 LNB dish, you need a separate line for OTA down to the receiver. You can not couple the satellite signal with the OTA signal on one line.

I'm not sure that filling the pole up with cement will be a good idea or not, what is this going to accomplish ?
Anything you can do to reduce flexing is going to help. The Ka satellites will not survive any kind of wiggling and having 6' above ground is an open invitation for flexing when you have a sail that big.

Anything you can do to reduce flexing is going to help. The Ka satellites will not survive any kind of wiggling and having 6' above ground is an open invitation for flexing when you have a sail that big.

My AT9 is on a 12 ft pole, three in the ground and nine above. It's a heavy duty fence post, actually. I have had ZERO issues with reception, even during heavy winds.

pardon, the dopey question. if i were to put an antenna on the roof and get my locals ota, i would be able to record on the hr-20?
The HR20 can record any channel that it can receive. Along with this goes the understanding that it can only receive ATSC digital channels and those channels must be broadcasting at the old channel 4 frequency or higher (unless they fixed this problem recently).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Real problems with Cinco De Mayo install

A bunch of QUESTIONS about 95W Setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts