Opinoions on diferent recievers 612,722,622,922

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
I have a 622 and 722. I am not using the second output of the 622 and the HD in the 622 has now failed. I am thinking about asking dish to swap it out for a 612 since the monthly fee would be less.
I am also thinking of going from my 722 to a 922 because I want the multiroom extender and I want two OTA instead of my current one. I can not see paying a $100 upgrade to get a 722K and then paying another$100 to get a sling adapter when I can just just a 922 for $200

So I ask...

Is the 922 now ready for prime time?
I can record 2OTA and 2 SAT at the same time while watching a 5th recorded show, right ?
The tv2 output is now enabled and it comes with a UHF tv2 remote like the 722, correct?
Exernal HD works with it now,yes?

On the 612...........
Is this receiver any good. With all the complaints I read when I search and the number of people I see saying they have gone threw 3 and even more replacements I have to ask but if they were as bad as what I read I have to think Dish would quit using them

The 722K is the same as the 922, for the exception of the following...

#1 3D capable
#2 Larger Hard Drive 500GB vs 1 TB
#3 Different style user interface

The issue I see with the 922 is that the DVR fee is $4 more on the 922 for a total of $10. The sling adaptor works so good with the 722, I simply don't see the value in paying the fee.

As far as the 612, over a 622 is that your giving up picture in picture.

As far as a 612 from a 722K, you got the Dual OTA capabilities, smaller hard drive, and no picture in picture.

Also, Its my opinion the software is more stable in the 722 than on the 922.

922 is gonna be e* flagship receiver, for the time being. 2 OTA and 2 SAT? really? at once? you're trying to record 4 programs being aired at once? to each his own but thats overkill if you ask me. If your HD has failed on your 622 why do you think it would work for a 612? as for people replacing 3 612's.... don't believe everything you hear, they probably had bad electrical outlets or had no idea what they were talking about

*edit: ur best off going with a tech visit to find out why the HD failed, then if you wanna upgrade, go DIU to replace the 622 with a 922

Last edited:
The 722K is the same as the 922, for the exception of the following...

#1 3D capable
#2 Larger Hard Drive 500GB vs 1 TB
#3 Different style user interface

The issue I see with the 922 is that the DVR fee is $4 more on the 922 for a total of $10. The sling adaptor works so good with the 722, I simply don't see the value in paying the fee.

As far as the 612, over a 622 is that your giving up picture in picture.

As far as a 612 from a 722K, you got the Dual OTA capabilities, smaller hard drive, and no picture in picture.

Also, Its my opinion the software is more stable in the 722 than on the 922.

722k will do the 3D crap.

Aside from Sling being built in, next gen chip (supposedly the same as the "K's"), and all the other features mentioned, the really big draw for many is the vastly enhanced GUI in HD and with large channel logos (pretty much the Sling guide) and the ability to find a channel by name that really has users quite enthusiastic. However, the question is, is all this worth an extra $4 per month to you? I would never criticize anyone who says, "yes, it is worth it," as this is why some people pay extra for a TiVo instead of taking the awful cable DVR (in my case if I ever was sentenced to cable, it would be the Moxi HD for me, although really expensive). But I completely understand the view that it seems a bit of a rip-off. If you love eye candy and get satisfaction from the improved user interface (yes larger HDD, as well, but we can archive with other boxes, anyway), then go for it. I just may very soon, as well.

2 OTA and 2 SAT? really? at once? you're trying to record 4 programs being aired at once? to each his own but thats overkill if you ask me.

When the networks are in full swing in the Fall and Spring, I record 4 shows simultaneously 2-3 times a week.

922 is gonna be e* flagship receiver, for the time being. 2 OTA and 2 SAT? really? at once? you're trying to record 4 programs being aired at once?
Monday Nights ... Harrys Law on NBC, Castle on ABC, and now the last 9 episodes of Stargate Universe on siffy (SciFi) .... that's 3 shows at once.. if FOX were airing something other than news in the 10 o'clock hour I'd be screwed.

Don't ever think that just because *you* think 4 shows at once is ludicris, that people wont see you the same as the person that said "who'd ever need more than 640k ram?" or "who needs more than 10 Megs of hard drive space" ... The simple fact is.. every station out there, competes with every other station out there.. and on the off chance more than two stations have really good shows on .. you DO want the ability to record as many shows at once, as you possibly can.

Thanks to those who replied. I went ahead and ordered a 922 to replace my 722 and a 612 to replace my 622. This will actually save me three dollars a month. I was just sort of concerned about the reliability of these two receivers since complaints seem to outnumber praise 10-1 in the 922 discussion group. I had also looked around and found lots of complaints on the 612. Look at the reviews of the 612 on amazon. out of 18 reviews 10 rated it one star out of 5

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dish Network 612 Dual Tuner Hd DVR Receiver

The 612 is pretty much a known turkey. And the 922??? I would not touch either. 722k on the other hand is the workhorse of the Dish fleet.

As of now (or unless I missed something) only the 922 supports 3D VOD's. I have a 612 at home that I've never had any problems with for that matter (I could use more recording space though).

mx023 said:
as for people replacing 3 612's.... don't believe everything you hear, they probably had bad electrical outlets or had no idea what they were talking about

I'm on my 3rd 612. There is nothing wrong with my electrical outlets and I have an idea what I'm talking about. It seems like 1 in 4 or 5 are good and last a long time. I really wouldn't recommend it, I'm stuck with it until my next upgrade is available, not a fun position to be in. They are known for instability and HDMI problems. The 722 is way better, it also has the new VOD interface, which the 612 does not. I'd keep the 722 and upgrade the 622 to a 922, if I were the OP.

I guess i am just going to hope i get a good one. My whole thing was that i was not using the tv2 out of the 722 and the 722 is $84 a year more to rent than the 612. Think about that adds up

Which satellites?

I have WA, neighbor got EA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)