Openbox S10 Common Access Module purpose?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
I was looking at my S10 and it has a flip down part with a couple of slots the top one looks like a disk drive slot and I think the bottom one is for a Common Access Module.

Do these have any use in the US? Can we subscribe to any of the scrambled channels? I used to use my old C band and subscribe by using that huge decoder module is that the same thing but a lot smaller? :)

If you go to Europe, you can use the box to subscribe to lots of TV. Not here in the U.S. .. That would be considered to be unfair to Dish Network and DirectV . Can't interfere with their profits, now, can we ? :)

That hole takes a little module, then into the module you plug a smart card for your subscription.
Much more common in Europe, (and maybe South America ?).

Last time I looked, the modules were different for each kind of smart card, and were pretty expensive.
And more importantly, there were none you could use for the 'interesting' pay services, such as:
- DishNet
- DirecTV
- BEV (Canadian version of Dish, now called something else)
- StarChoice (Canadian, now under new name)
- 4DTV

A few FTA receivers have a card slot that'll take a particular kind of card, and a few years ago, Brian of SatelliteAV told us what the IV-200 could use.
But, it was for some obscure service, and a foreign language.

If you go to Europe, you can use the box to subscribe to lots of TV. Not here in the U.S. .. That would be considered to be unfair to Dish Network and DirectV . Can't interfere with their profits, now, can we ? :)

lol

Well of course not! Hehehe...

They could let us subscribe per channel I guess. Dish uses some odd modulation I think.

They want us to buy the whole package, receiver, programming, contract...
'
Then watch infomercials all night! I say no thank you (crooks). By crooks I mean, "the best quality HD picture", ha, "best programming", ha, infomercials, "Just 24.99 a month", For 6 months then $79.00 Per Month for two years.

And "Free Receiver", really, at like $800 to $1000 or more per year for programming...I think you pay for it. I don't even know the prices...I don't pay attention and don't care...until the $19.99 a month deal comes...

Last edited:
So you can SUBSCRIBE to FREEDBS? (Thats what Manhattan says heir slot of for... but my feeling is if the service is called FREEDBS why do you need to subscribe?)

Directv and Dish need to make a CAM so we can subscribe to single channels like we used to be able to (still might be able to...not sure) I liked being able to purchase a single channel for the entire year. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Trimax sm-2500

Question on FTA Receivers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)