Open service call prevents activation of a new receiver

The work orders are on the account level, not receiver level. No changes can be made until the work order is closed.

You are wrong on both counts Tyralak. As the thread indicates we got it activated. Like I said if it IS impossible that is flawed but Dan was successful in getting the first replacement receiver activated before the service call----and before your pot.

As for the snow issue they sent another installer who was willing to go up on the roof. Both DISH and the installation contractor apologized to me for the delay. The snow was actually on the other side of the roof. But all is well on that issue as well.

In the end all is well and again I thank Dan for his help.

Last edited:
You are wrong on both counts Tyralak. As the thread indicates we got it activated. Like I said if it IS impossible that is flawed but Dan was successful in getting the first replacement receiver activated before the service call----and before your pot.

As for the snow issue they sent another installer who was willing to go up on the roof. Both DISH and the installation contractor apologized to me for the delay. The snow was actually on the other side of the roof. But all is well on that issue as well.

In the end all is well and again I thank Dan for his help.

That's the key word, Chief. Contractor. No DNS tech will go on that roof. A contractor is self employed, so if he wants to be an idiot and go up on a snowy roof he can and only has to answer to himself. Company techs like myself have to answer to management and to OSHA. They have rules against us doing things that are stupid and dangerous. As far as the work order goes, if you found someone who could work around the system, great. However in my experience we could not make any changes to equipment unless the work order was either closed or canceled. The CSRs and even loyalty would have to cancel or complete the work order before anything else could be done.

As i said before tyralak even Dish apologized to me. Sorry but you were incorrect on both counts. I a sure you gave answers that you believed were correct but as the thread shows they happened to be incorrect.

As i said before tyralak even Dish apologized to me. Sorry but you were incorrect on both counts. I a sure you gave answers that you believed were correct but as the thread shows they happened to be incorrect.

I am NOT incorrect about company policy regarding roofs. If it was the call center who apologized, they aren't as versed in the business rules for the installation division. They tell customers all kinds of things about what we supposedly do. I can SHOW you the business rules regarding roofs from the company manual and safety blast memos we get REGULARLY. I am 100% right about that, and any other DNS tech here will back me up. If you were dealing with a contractor or a retailer, well that's on them. They aren't bound by DNS safety regulations. I've worked for this company for the better part of a decade, and had those rules pounded into me from day one. I think I know what I'm talking about. If someone went on your roof with snow on it, they were either a contractor, or a DNS tech who didn't care if he lost his job and/or killed himself.

Alright Tyralak have it your way. But if you actually read the earlier posts you would realize that that there was no snow anywhere near that section of the roof. But you are convinced that you know more about the situation so let's just agree to disagree. the original point of the thread was to ask about a policy that appeared illogical and then to report a success story in getting the first receiver activated. This bickering over points covered earlier in the thread turns it into something else and benefits no one.

Alright Tyralak have it your way. But if you actually read the earlier posts you would realize that that there was no snow anywhere near that section of the roof. But you are convinced that you know more about the situation so let's just agree to disagree. the original point of the thread was to ask about a policy that appeared illogical and then to report a success story in getting the first receiver activated. This bickering over points covered earlier in the thread turns it into something else and benefits no one.

You seemed to indicate that the roof had snow on it. If that wasn't the case, then fine. Company policy is that we can only walk on flat roofs or composite sloped roofs. The sloped roofs must be completely dry and the tech must wear a harness when on the roof, regardless of pitch. No tile or metal roofs of any kind.

Of course now I have a problem with the installer---he said he did not know there would be snow on the roof. Given the snowstorm we just had that is odd. But I was moved to a late day appointment because of it.

is the dish accessible from a ladder, or must the tech get out onto the roof?
If it's where the tech must get off the ladder and walk the roof, forget it.
would you walk out there and be able to guarantee you own safety?

Earlier you mentioned the snow was on the other side of the roof....As far as I am concerned, that is no excuse to not do a job.....please answer this question....Was there snow near around or in a pathway on which the tech had to walk across to get your dish?

he is citing policy. You are citing the occurance. I think that is where the breakdown on communication is..
You each need to go to a neutral corner.
FWIW as a contractor tech I got stuff done that others would not do. If there is no snow in any of the many ways to go out on the roof, there's no worries. It gets done. If the roof is snow or ice covered, I'll reschedule.

I suggest everyone just drop it. Best thing for all.

New install

Looking for a Hard Drive for 722 VIP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)