Ok, Sunday Ticket is over. Can we expect any new HD channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Rumor is that if they hold to not much more than the 36 HD LIL markets announced, they'd have Spaceway capacity for a large spot that can cover half the country (x2) for national channles (or NFL ST)

CPanther95 said:
Except Pro Basketball, any baseball or golf - but I'd put NASCAR in there as well if I considered it a sport.

You forgot tennis.

Longhorn has posted often that as soon as the NFL-ST was over that we MIGHT see an additional national HD channel or two. The rumor at that time was that 2006 NFL-ST HD will be transmitted in MPEG4. The rumor was that they were going to do this for 2005 but delays in the launch pushed it to 2006. I think there was a long back and forth concerning the space for ST HD using free space from PPV, but the conclusion was that not all space was taken from this. The rumor was one or two channels. I imagine we will be hearing this week. Four months ago this was riveting news, edge of your seat stuff, but the flame is quenched. I'm not looking for 1 or 2 channels anymore. I also would rather we had full HD resolution, if there is such a thing. I can't get OTA signals, so I'm interested in seeing true HD. I now will anticipate FIOS on Long Island and hope they will get TV franchising in my area. Reports of full HD resolution, VOD, recording 6 shows at one time, streaming video to any DVR, and other reports seem much more dream worthy than the addition of TNT, PBS, or MTV. My only ties to D* are in their broadcast of NFL and I'm almost to the point that they can keep it.

CPanther95 said:
I've only been to 2 (All-Star? short night races) in Charlotte, and 1 in Bristol
If the All-Star race and Bristol can't hook you, then you can't be hooked. That is the best there is.:)

But I guess nothing can beat Jake Delhomme's a** hanging out of his pants last week huh?:D

Last edited:
So far MPEG4 is looking worse than HD-Lite MPEG2. I would wait for better PQ before D* starts adding channels. Although, I wouldn't mind Max and Starz HD.

sltmag said:
So far MPEG4 is looking worse than HD-Lite MPEG2. I would wait for better PQ before D* starts adding channels.

Is your set calibrated ? Are you watching at 1080i or 720p ?

All the D* MPEG4 I've seen looks better than the equivalent MPEG2 programming coming over the satellites. Not much better, mind you, but better. (NBC in LA, for example.) If I had to put a finger on it, I'd say 10%.

If you think it looks bad now.. there are no plans to improve or increase bit rates above where they are.

Waiting wouldn't accomplish anything PQ-wise.

H

Calibrated set and yes the PQ is worse on the MPEG4 channels. At least in NY and LA. Perhaps D* is just mirroring the MPEG2 channels to MPEG4 and that is why they don't look as good. During a football game the grass strobed continuously. On CBS, there is a lot of blocking. It is not subtle at all. I don't think the problem is with bit rate, but with tweaking the encoders. For now, in NY, MPEG4 is not a PQ improvement.

Gosh there is a lot of bickering and grandstanding going on for the title of this thread to be "Ok, Sunday Ticket is over. Can we expect any new HD channels?" How bout we get back on track? Can we expect andy new HD Channels? YES or NO (pick one).....if yes which ones? If no, why? Not the pq sucks, Nascar isn't a sport, college basketball is boring, etc..... Let's just hope for HD channels. This whole board has changed since the first time I found it and it is very discouraging anymore. Let's get back to good, juicy rumors with LonghornXP and Scott confirming them or disspelling them. Just a thought......no flame please.

J_slimz said:
Gosh there is a lot of bickering and grandstanding going on for the title of this thread to be "Ok, Sunday Ticket is over. Can we expect any new HD channels?" How bout we get back on track? Can we expect andy new HD Channels? YES or NO (pick one).....if yes which ones? If no, why?

Ok..
No.

Because D* has yet to negotiate carriage deals with the existing broadcasters of additional HD content.

If new HD channels become available, it won't be using the Sunday Ticket space.

H

sltmag said:
Calibrated set and yes the PQ is worse on the MPEG4 channels. At least in NY and LA. Perhaps D* is just mirroring the MPEG2 channels to MPEG4 and that is why they don't look as good. During a football game the grass strobed continuously. On CBS, there is a lot of blocking. It is not subtle at all. I don't think the problem is with bit rate, but with tweaking the encoders. For now, in NY, MPEG4 is not a PQ improvement.

Just how have you managed to jetset between the 28th and now to experience the mpeg4 from both NY and LA??

doubt we see any new HD from D* anytime soon
but as far as I 'm concerned if there is a station broadcasting in HD, D* should offer it...FREE!!!!!!!!! for the crap they have given us for the pass few years
no TNTHD....D* should be embarrassed for not offering that
we have NGHD coming out soon, will D* offer it............my money says NO!

It wouldn't make much sense for News Corp to rollout NGC-HD and FOX-HD if they will only be enhancing D*'s competitors' offering. I'd wager at least those two would be offered at or near launch.

???

CPanther95 said:
It wouldn't make much sense for News Corp to rollout NGC-HD and FOX-HD if they will only be enhancing D*'s competitors' offering. I'd wager at least those two would be offered at or near launch.

"At or Near Launch" of what???

bgsmallwood said:
"At or Near Launch" of what???

Of the channels, obviously...

Remember, D* rolled out the Fox Reality channel at launch, so I'd agree that the Fox HD and NGC HD channels will be the next additions. As for negotiations, how would you know if the D* part of NewsCorp was talking with the Fox or NGC part of NewsCorp? I doubt there'd be any info released until it's a done deal, and perhaps not even then, knowing how D* likes to play most channel launches close to the vest.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New R10 Owener Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)