Not Recieving all channels in one room

EmeraldICE

Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Over the weekend I switched from standard cable (about 70 channels) to Comcast cable (Premium Package). Everything has been working fine, except I have one, single, annoying problem.

I've got three separate TV's throughout my house that have their own Comcast Cable box. One downstairs, one in my living room, and another in my room.
Last night while browsing channels (on the television located in my room), I noticed that certain channels would display a "Channel will be available shortly" blue box, however (even after waiting 30 minutes) the channel never appeared.
As a test, I wrote down the various channel names and tested them on my other two TV's and all channels worked flawlessly.

I thought that the cable box set up in my room might be broken, so as a test I switched out the downstairs box with the one in my room, but when I tested the channels, they were still broken and they worked downstairs.
What in the world could be the problem?

Rather than calling them, do you think it would fix it if I bought a new cable and strung it up to my room from my main cable box thing located downstairs?

The cable I'm currently using is reeeally old.

Rather than calling them, do you think it would fix it if I bought a new cable and strung it up to my room from my main cable box thing located downstairs?

The cable I'm currently using is reeeally old.

Most likely it would. It's probably a signal strength issue and hopefully the signal is degrading over that old wire. If it's just because the incoming signal is split too many times then a new wire wouldn't help. I would say try it if you have some cable and it's not too long. It's worth a shot. Comcast probably won't charge you to come out though, so if you have to go buy cable just call them instead.

It may not be a signal issue. While it would be a benefit to run the new cable. Call comcast and tell them to send to your a signal. They will be able to let you know if they could see the box and send a signal authorizing those channels again. It worked for me.

The message "Channel will be available shortly" appears on digital channels when the signal strength is too weak. On top of this message, you might see some pixelation from time to time. Comcast has weak signal in my subdivision and it's worse at my house. When the signal strength is above a certain level, you wouldn't even know it. You need their special equipment to measure it.

I think replacing the cable is a good first step. You still want a service guy comes by to measure your signal strength.

Feb 17, 2009 and analog channels on Comcast

Pricing & fees

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)