Noob pointing question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BobTT

Original poster
May 3, 2011
Mars
I'm not a sat user and I'm tring to help out a friend...my friend moved a couple of months ago and I helped him move his dish to the new house. Its a basic old 18" round, nothing fancy...pointed it at the 101ish sats with 95% signal so no probs. He calls me yesterday and says it dropping out so I go over there and yup his signal is all over the place. I went up on the roof and dish is pointing thru a group of trees...but now that the leaves have grown in the signal is spotty. The hill that the group of trees are on is half a mile away so trimming is not an option, also elevating the dish is a no go too. I went on the dishpointing website and it confirmed the 99,101,103 line of site is right thru the hill/trees...BUT it says he has a clean view at the 119 which I agree and don't think it would be a prob at all. So the question and this is where I don't know squat about sats is with his setup (just plain old whitebread 18" round with thier newest cheapest rec) be able to point at the 119 and work like it does when pointing to the 101??? He doesnt need hd or anything fancy, just plain old tv

welcome :wave

sorry but you need 101. That is the "core" satellite. 119 has Spansih channels and some locals for smaller markets

seems odd that the trees are a 1/2 mile away and are causing issues. The dish "looks" about 22-24 degrees higher in the sky than it shows so those must be some TALL trees to affect signal that far away

No it's not the tree so much it's that they are on a hill that is higher than him.,.more of a topography issue.
Well that suck (for him)...other than moving the dish which I don't see helping is there any thing else that can be done?
Thanks for the help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv H20 and Slingbox

L.A. Locals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)