Non penatrating mount pole length question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wildboys

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
I jut got a non pentrating roof mount for my 6ft dish.I am giong to put the mount on my patio.The pole that cam with the mount is 28 inches.Do i need to get a longer pole or will it be okay to use the pole that came with the mount?It will be secured with 8 30 pound cinder blocks

Attachments

• DSC_00080.jpg
    DSC_00080.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 174
What dish will you be putting on it?

Here are the dimensions of my Non-pen mount........

Attachments

• Pict0182.JPG
    Pict0182.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Pict0183.JPG
    Pict0183.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Hi HDTVfanatic.The place i ordered the mount told me they instal 6ft dishes on roofs with this mount all the time without problems.The O.D of the pole that came with the mount is 3" It will be held down by eight 30 pound cinder blocks the base is 36X36.I am not putting it on a roof it will be on a patio.The 1.8 meter dish only weighs 55 lbs it is not a pole mount it is a polar mount.My question is does it matter if the dish is 2 feet off the ground or 6ft.PSB has a 6ft sami dish mounted on a direcway NPR mount motorized secured by cinder blocks and he has no problems with it..The sami dish weighs 76lbs which is 20 more than the dish i have.The mount which i have the pole is at the end of the base not in the center like the one you have in the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I don't agree with the NPR stuff (nor Sadoun mounting it on a wooden crate) but whatever. I'd rather do it right, but.....

For your question, you technically should have it 3 feet off the ground to get 0 degrees elevation. That probably isn't a real concern, but most will tell you that is the shortest length for a 1.8M with a prime focus. Depending on the lowest elevation you want, you might be able to get by with less.

If you had an offset instead of a polar mount, there would be other issues.

HDTV nailed it on the head.

Too short of a pole and you give up the ends of the arc.

I had my 8' dish on a pole about the length you describe. I could only get to 72W or so going East before the dish hit the ground. In my case this was fine.

Shawn95GT said:
HDTV nailed it on the head.

Too short of a pole and you give up the ends of the arc.

I had my 8' dish on a pole about the length you describe. I could only get to 72W or so going East before the dish hit the ground. In my case this was fine.
Hey guys what length of a pole do you think i should use?The one that i have is defenitely to short.

Swing the dish all the way over to its extreme and see how much pole you need to clear the dish laying against the the extremes of it's travel, or at least so it'll clear your desired LOS.

I started with a 'way too long' pole and cut it down until it was where I wanted it. I was ducking an 8' dish behind a 6' fence - lol.

I found that the polar mount positions the dish much higher than it looks like it'll be. I prefer to mock it all up.

PSB said:
wildboys has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.
Thanks got it fixed

I added the dimensions of my Non-Pen mount to the above post............

Will add them here also :)

Attachments

• Pict0182.JPG
    Pict0182.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Pict0183.JPG
    Pict0183.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 195
Not so far, if it gets deeper than 2' I would just go outside and dig it away!

Attachments

• Pict0031.JPG
    Pict0031.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 172
  • Pict0035.JPG
    Pict0035.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 184
  • Pict0051.JPG
    Pict0051.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 163
Status
Please reply by conversation.

1.2 Fast 1.2 Furious - VBox Drift

Nahuel 1 at 71.8°W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts