No signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thecheaptechguy

Original poster
May 4, 2011
kennesaw ga
I have an older Direct TV dish on my roof that is being blocked by trees and I am unable to trim the branches. Also, on my roof is a new HD capable dish that has a clear view of the sky. Is it possible to run the cable currently attached to the old dish and attach that cable to the newer dish that has a clear view of the sky? If so, what splitter, ect... would I need and how.

Thanks for any help provided. I would hate to pay to get the dish moved.

Why would you want to connect the two dishes together?
Or is it that you just want to use the coax connected to the old dish to be used inside the house.

Now if you want to use the new dish with the receivers that are now connected to the old dish, it depends on what model receivers are connected to that dish.
And what LNB is on the newer dish? If the SWM version (one coax output) the receivers will need to be SWM capable (I suspect they aren't).
If the newer dish has four outputs and you have a free output, then connect the coax to that output to use the new dish with the older receiver.

Now that I've confused you, please explain exactly what you want to do.:)
What receivers do you have and what LNB is on the newer dish.

I have an older Direct TV dish on my roof that is being blocked by trees and I am unable to trim the branches. Also, on my roof is a new HD capable dish that has a clear view of the sky. Is it possible to run the cable currently attached to the old dish and attach that cable to the newer dish that has a clear view of the sky? If so, what splitter, ect... would I need and how.

Thanks for any help provided. I would hate to pay to get the dish moved.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!
Like jdspencer said, we need more information to answer your questions. What model equipment do you have, dishes, lnbs, and receiver/dvrs?

My new satellite dish is a Slimline LNB model # SL3PIG-WNC. I have a HR-21 DVR receiver hooked up to the slimline dish. My other receivers are Direct Tv model # D10-300 which are hooked up to a oval satellite dish that was installed about 5 1/2 yrs ago. I think the model # is SF2-D3, could not find anything clearly marked on the dish. Since the old dish is blocked by trees, I would love to hook up the older receivers to the newer slimline dish if possible. Otherwise, I would have to have Direct Tv come out a move the older dish to another area on the roof at additional cost. Really don't want to do that.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

The SL3PIG should be a four output lnb, the non-swm type. Are there two lines coming out of it into the house? If so, there are two more outputs on it. Simply connect the lines to your other dish to it and you should be good to go.

Does your HR21 have two lines connected? If so, then the LNB on the dish is not SWM and your D10 will work just fine connected to one of the two spare outputs.

How would I connect the lines from the non-swm type to the newer dish?
Ideally, you run another cable down from the HD dish to the ground block just outside your home and then a cable from there to the D10. If you aren't up to scampering around on the roof or making your own cables, you can pay to have it done.

Because you're in the Atlanta market, the only thing you'll miss is some of the Sonic Tap music channels that you're HD equipment can't "see" either.

Thanks for the help. Ran cable from the older dish and connected the cable to the extra two lines on my new dish and everything is working fine.

Thanks again
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Upgrade from HR20 to HR24

Super Sat Buddy 29 settings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts