No Permission Slip

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pseudopod56

Original poster
May 16, 2005
Is it possible to have Direct tv install even without a permission slip from the land lord? My Apartment Company always gives permission (lots of dishes everywhere), but they are taking forever to get the signed form back (more than a week so far). I just want my d tv!

If this won't work, is it also possible for them to just leave the equipment and let me install it myself? It is approved, just have not gotten the document faxed back. (Typical incompetent apartment bureaucracy).

Anyone ever done this?

Thanks,

Answered own question. Direct tv guy said I can just sign a release and they will install. :yes

Hogarth said:
Even more specifically, federal law says you don't need the landlord's permission, period.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Here is a segment of that federal rule that ahould answer the original poster's question:

"Q: If I live in a condominium or an apartment building, does this rule apply to me?

A: The rule applies to antenna users who live in a multiple dwelling unit building, such as a condominium or apartment building, if the antenna user has an exclusive use area in which to install the antenna. "Exclusive use" means an area of the property that only you, and persons you permit, may enter and use to the exclusion of other residents. For example, your condominium or apartment may include a balcony, terrace, deck or patio that only you can use, and the rule applies to these areas. The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof, the hallways, the walkways or the exterior walls of a condominium or apartment building. Restrictions on antennas installed in these common areas are not covered by the Commission's rule. For example, the rule would not apply to prohibit restrictions that prevent drilling through the exterior wall of a condominium or rental unit.

Q: Does the rule apply to condominiums or apartment buildings if the antenna is installed so that it hangs over or protrudes beyond the balcony railing or patio wall?

A: No. The rule does not prohibit restrictions on antennas installed beyond the balcony or patio of a condominium or apartment unit if such installation is in, on, or over a common area. An antenna that extends out beyond the balcony or patio is usually considered to be in a common area that is not within the scope of the rule. Therefore, the rule does not apply to a condominium or rental apartment unit unless the antenna is installed wholly within the exclusive use area, such as the balcony or patio."

Basically what this is saying is that apartments can pose restrictions that are legal within the guidelines of this FCC law/rule that possibly can/will prevent a satellite system from being installed. As far as installing a D* system to D*'s specs, I have found that more often than not the apartment guideline prevent the installtion. Mainly due to the restrictions on drilling through outside walls and/or that the dish cannot be mounted outside the controlled area of the rental space or placed within a common area. You would not believe the number of installs I have to turn down because the people simply live on the wrong side of the building. And many of the aparment jobs around here are for D* employees who work at the call center here in Huntsville, AL. I'd love to do these installs if I could, but if I cannot do it to spec and it gets quality control inspected by my lead tech, the feces would impact the rotory cooling device.

I read the same thing, but the font office girl said Direct TV would not even start installing unless I had a form. I really didn't care about the Land Lord's opinion (knowing they can't stop me legally), I was just worried Direct TV had some policy that they wouldn't start work until they had owners permission. I don't have the tools to drill through my wall.

Anyway it is all good now, as long as they get a signal.

DirecTV doesn't "DO" installs, but the installation companies contracted to do so may very well NOT want to do it because of PAST problems. Maybe even threatened legal action. Get the signed form! Hound the hell out of them for it, tell them you are about to contact an attorney and save yourself the headaches down the road once the T's are crossed and I's dotted. Last thing you want is to get the install and start a monthly bill and contract, then have to take it down while you fight with them; all the while you are still PAYING the monthly bill. Just be patient and do things RIGHT, not fast!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv Has Reclaimed My Locals

Newbie Needs Installation Help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)