No locals available

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pennstatedan

Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
State College
I am attempting to set up a AU9 dish on a tripod (all purchased from Sadoun) for a tailgate this weekend and am testing at home before going to the game. I am getting a signal on the 101 in the 90's but cannot get any other satellite to show up on the signal meters. Do I need to do something on the dish or in the receiver set up. I am using a D12 receiver currently to test the signals. I live in State College, PA and am aiming the dish to 224 @ 37 degrees and tilt of 66 degrees.

All transponders are getting signal in the 90's on the 101 (A) but I am not able to switch to any other satellite in the signal strength set up.

What am I missing or what extra infor do you need??

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
I am attempting to set up a AU9 dish on a tripod (all purchased from Sadoun) for a tailgate this weekend and am testing at home before going to the game. I am getting a signal on the 101 in the 90's but cannot get any other satellite to show up on the signal meters. Do I need to do something on the dish or in the receiver set up. I am using a D12 receiver currently to test the signals. I live in State College, PA and am aiming the dish to 224 @ 37 degrees and tilt of 66 degrees.

All transponders are getting signal in the 90's on the 101 (A) but I am not able to switch to any other satellite in the signal strength set up.

Thanks in advance!!!

Just saw your edit - make sure you have the 5 LNB slimline selected on the box set-up menu.
You are pretty close. Make sure the top of the tripod is dead level. Maximize the 101 signal the best you can. Then make slight adjustments to the tilt only until 119 comes is very good. Go back & fine tune 101.

Just saw your edit - make sure you have the 5 LNB slimline selected on the box set-up menu.
You are pretty close. Make sure the top of the tripod is dead level. Maximize the 101 signal the best you can. Then make slight adjustments to the tilt only until 119 comes is very good. Go back & fine tune 101.

Thanks....I am getting closer (I think)

OK, Here is where I am with the signals....

101: 90's and up on all transponders except 4, 12, 20...these are zero
110 all n/a's except 8 (91) 10 (88) and 12 (92)
119 all n/s's except 22-24 (95+) 25 (42) 26-28 (97+) 29 (22) 30 (98) 31 (68) and 32 (98)

Still no locals....should I try my HR20 receiver with this or am I ok using the D12....like I said I am not overly worried about the HD more so that I need to get the locals (ABC)

Thanks in advance!!!

The reason you can't get locals is that they are not on any of the satellites your dish/DVR will receive. You are in the Johnstown-Altoona DMA which has had its SD locals coming from the 72.5 satellite, requiring a second dish. They have now migrated to the 99 or 103 slots (99 I think) and to receive them you need a slimline dish and an HD receiver. They may still be on 72.5 also although DireCTV has started to close down some 72.5 channels.
What setup do you have at home?

I have two dishes...on slimline (I think 3lnb) and the round 18" dish. I thought I could use this one dish for the tailgate since the locals were now all on one dish.....maybe that is wrong

Do you need more set up information??

The locals are all available on one dish but you can't use a d12 because the D12 can't receive the satellite they are on. You have to use an HD receiver/DVR, or an R22 DVR. With the BBCs also, unless it's an R23/HR23.

you probably have the Ka/Ku lnb, not the Ka/Ku3 LNB, are there 3 white beads on your feedhorn or just one? if you have one physical white eye, its a ka/ku3, if you have 3 phyiscal white eyes, its a ka/ku or 5, yea i know seems confusing... but anyway, the correct adjustments for your location should be 64 tilt, and 36 elevation i do believe, i install close to your area, but not quite there. Im in the Wilkes/Barre/Scranton area. Pst me if you have any other questions that dont go addressed here.

To repeat (AGAIN). This problem has nothing to do with the dish type. In Johnstown-Altoona you can't get locals using a single dish and a D12. For a D12 you need two dishes (and soon you won't be able to use the D12 at all). For a single dish (slimline 3, slimline 5, it makes no difference) you need an HD box, even to get locals in SD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv Offer on their website.

A 500' Dish-house distance?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts