No HD SB Confirm w/ Director of Corporate Communications

joeylberry

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
"Lumpkin, Marc" <Marc.Lumpkin@echostar.com> wrote:

We've asked FOX for permission, but we have been unable to secure the rights to get the Superbowl in HD. We will offer Fox standard definition channels in each of the local markets they are available. But to get FOX in HD, you'll need an off-air antenna and have a DISH Network HD receiver, since our HD receivers can tune in the local HD signals off air, where available.

Marc Lumpkin

Director of Corporate Communications

EchoStar Communications Corporation and DISH Network

303-723-2020

marc.lumpkin@echostar.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 3:07 PM
To: Contacts@Dishnetwork&Echostar.com
Subject: Super Bowl

Are Echo Star / Dish Network going to be able to broadcast the super bowl in high definition? Comcast & Direct TV are able to offer this to their customers I hope that we (Dish Network Customers) are going to be able to enjoy the same options. Thank you in advance for your reply.

Respectfully,

Joey Berry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Search presents - Jib Jab's 'Second Term'

Marc,

Would it be possible to elaborate on why "we [Dish/Echostar] have been unable to secure the rights to get the Superbowl in HD" ?

Is it Fox or Dish's fault no SBHD ? We report - you decide

Ref: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=44475

Doesn't this appear to say that Fox Sports is saying the Dish is "stretching" the truth on this no HD feed for SB ?

joeylberry, can you elaborate on your conversation with Fox Sports (I assume it was Dan Bell) ? I tried to get through to him but could not. Per his cell phone voice mail, he's already headed to Jacksonville.

Scott, do you have anyway to actually get a statment from Fox Sports so we can get to the bottom of this.

Personally, I'd like to know if Dish is being truthful about this one.

Sorry I dont recall the persons name it was whom ever that line is for. He told me that direct, dish and comcast all get a hd feed for all of their streams and if they are not broadcasting them in HD him or fox can not control that and I should take it up with dishnetwork.

I just got another message from Marc here it is.....

Hi Joey,

We do not have Fox's permission to offer the Fox HD channel. We have put in a request, with the hopes of offering the Superbowl. Things could change, but for now, we do not have their retransmission agreement to offer Fox HD. We do offer CBS HD in 17 cities, but not Fox HD, NBC HD, ABC HD.

Marc Lumpkin

Director of Corporate Communications

EchoStar Communications Corporation and DISH Network

303-723-2020

marc.lumpkin@echostar.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 3:41 PM
To: Lumpkin, Marc
Subject: RE: Super Bowl

Marc,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I wish I could take the option of using an off-air antenna however I live in an area that can not get a good signal. I was advised by the sports contact at News Corp which owns Fox that Dish Network already gets a HD feed from the station. Do you know if this is true? Also is possible that things could change and the super bowl may be broadcast in HD or should I just accept that it will be SD. I would like to thank you in advance for any reply offered. Sorry for being so long winded. Have a great day.

Respectfully,

Joey Berry

I would guess they already have the feed. They already have the rights to broadcast FOX SD to O&O markets don't they (maybe I'm wrong in that assumption). Maybe it's just me, but I can't see why they would need additional retransmission rights for HD, it's the same content as SD just better quality. Anyway, it doesn't matter for me. My local FOX is broadcasting digital at 3.6kw in 480i and of course no waviers.

510's use of UHF and IR signals

DISH tops 11 Million Customers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts