NG with setup problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hakman

Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Texas
Hi,

I bought a Sonicview 360 elite and a DTV36EDS dish to receiver AMC 4 which has BVN TV. I hooked everything up and did the setup but i didn't find that channel. I have moved around the dish but i keep seeing strength but no quality. It's driving me crazy. Any help?:what

Hakman

Is a "DTV36EDS" a DirecTV Dish?
If so, did you also purchase the correct LNB for FTA, a Linear LNB.
A DirtecTV / DishNet LNB will not get FTA Channels.

The DirecTV International 36" dish has a standard linear Ku LNB on it, so it can be used to receive Ku FTA channels, although it is a bit undersized.

Make sure you're hooked up to the linear Ku LNB (the International dish also has a circular one, don't use that), and set your receiver to:

Single (or Standard)
L.O. 10750

Some of the International dish Ku LNBs are reported to be single polarity.

The DirecTV International 36" dish has a standard linear Ku LNB on it, so it can be used to receive Ku FTA channels, although it is a bit undersized.

Make sure you're hooked up to the linear Ku LNB (the International dish also has a circular one, don't use that), and set your receiver to:

Single (or Standard)
L.O. 10750

Some of the International dish Ku LNBs are reported to be single polarity.

Plus, as has been discussed, some of the LNBFs on these things apparently only do one polarity. So it might be necessary to rotate the lnbf by 90 deg if it doesn't work.

Is a "DTV36EDS" a DirecTV Dish?
If so, did you also purchase the correct LNB for FTA, a Linear LNB.
A DirtecTV / DishNet LNB will not get FTA Channels.

I bought a dish from ebay with two LNB's one linear for 95W and one dual for 101W. The channel i am searching for is 12120 TP 21 Vert polarization on the AMC 101W sat. I do get strength but the quality bar stays at zero. I did receive the DirectTV/Echostar with strength and quality but that one was blocked (obviously). From there I went 20 degrees back to find the 95W but no luck so far.....:(

Post a couple of pictures of your dish and LNB.
Provide any info on the LNB label. (the one at the dish's focal point)
I think these dishes have been delivered with different kind of LNBs over the years, and that causes some confusion.

Then, use any one of the many satellite alignment web sites to figure out where to aim your dish.
TheList has one, and so does GeoSatFinder.
Just type in your zip code.
You want elevation (how high to aim - that's on your dish's mount)
You'll need the magnetically corrected azimuth (that's where to point using a compass)
And you will need skew (how far to twist your LNB in its mount, or possibly twist the dish if it has skew).
Set the dish to the direction above as a starting point.

See TheList again, for a strong transponder on the desired satellite.
Set your receiver for that transponder before you begin your dish alignment fine tuning.
You are looking for a high Q or Quality reading.
If all else fails but you see a rise in the Signal strength, you might at that point try a blind scan if the receiver has it.

This info is in -addition- to all the good advice above, so do not ignore it. - :up

I do get strength but the quality bar stays at zero.
Think of "Signal Strength" as a Power Meter, indicating that Power from the Receiver is reaching the LNB. Not really an indication of being properly aimed at a Sat.
You are looking for Quality.
In the Receiver's Setup menu, you have to enter the proper LNB info, it's not Plug-N-Play.
LNB Type: Single or Standard
LNB L.O. / Freq.: 10750
There should be a Transponder List on the Menu too. Make sure you have a known Active / Live TP selected there. The Quality meter only reacts if the TP is Live. You could be dead-nuts on a Sat, but if you do not have a Live TP selected, you will not get Quality.

I bought a dish from ebay with two LNB's one linear for 95W and one dual for 101W. The channel i am searching for is 12120 TP 21 Vert polarization on the AMC 101W sat. I do get strength but the quality bar stays at zero. I did receive the DirectTV/Echostar with strength and quality but that one was blocked (obviously). From there I went 20 degrees back to find the 95W but no luck so far.....:(

First of all, I think there is still a likelihood that your lnbf doesn't do vertical polarity, so you may need to rotate it as mentioned above.
However, since you are getting quality on the Echo sat, that tells me that you are accessing the circular lnbf, not the linear one, so until you figure out how to access the linear lnbf, you won't be able to receive the channel you're looking for.
I'm not familiar with that system, but other DTV systems use 22KHz to switch between sats, so you might try turning 22KHz on when looking for your transponder. But I would try looking for a horizontal transponder first, then after you find that, try a vertical, and if that doesn't work, you might have to rotate the LNBF.
Just a guess.

Wow thanks for all the response!!!

I took some pics of the dish setup so you can see whether i dorked something up.

I am going to try all the rest of the good advise.

Will keep you posted.

Hakman

Attachments

• DSC05209.JPG
    DSC05209.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC05210.JPG
    DSC05210.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC05211.JPG
    DSC05211.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC05212.JPG
    DSC05212.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 118
Sorry it looks to me as though your dish does not have clear view of the sky. because of the elevation you need it looks like the roof overhang will block a lot of signal. The single LNB looks to be linear but the dual is circular polarity

Sorry it looks to me as though your dish does not have clear view of the sky. because of the elevation you need it looks like the roof overhang will block a lot of signal. The single LNB looks to be linear but the dual is circular polarity

Took pic from other angle but you could be right....

Attachments

• DSC05213.JPG
    DSC05213.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 81
Half way there!!!:)

Am locked onto 95W (signal 92% Quality app 50%). 22kHz on did the trick but now i need to find out what settings i need for the 101W sat (AMC4)

Congratulations! Now just the tiniest shift to the west and you got it. I am not sure of the elevation in your area, but for me, I do have to change it. --- Do you get both polarities on 95W? If so you are on top of the "World": all the rest of the challenges are minor!

POP

Congratulations! Now just the tiniest shift to the west and you got it. I am not sure of the elevation in your area, but for me, I do have to change it. --- Do you get both polarities on 95W? If so you are on top of the "World": all the rest of the challenges are minor!

POP

Do you also use the aspen dtv32+ for the AMC4? I have tried every possible setting but qualitybar stays at zero.....:mad:

With that setup and without a meter, it might be easier to go west one satellite at a time until you find AMC4. If you have 95marked on the pole and can find it again, start looking for G19 at 97 , look up a strong transponder from The List on 97 and try pinpointing it, then go for 99w, etc. With a dish that small it will be tiny increments of dish movement, and don't forget to adjust the skew on your lnb, or the entire dish, if it skews dish and lnbf at the same time.

With that setup and without a meter, it might be easier to go west one satellite at a time until you find AMC4. If you have 95marked on the pole and can find it again, start looking for G19 at 97 , look up a strong transponder from The List on 97 and try pinpointing it, then go for 99w, etc. With a dish that small it will be tiny increments of dish movement, and don't forget to adjust the skew on your lnb, or the entire dish, if it skews dish and lnbf at the same time.

Are you saying I should try to receive the AMC4 with the LNB now aimed at 95W? Is that LNB suitable for AMC4? That would work for me since all i need is the 101W...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

I was wondering ?

Fixed dish, which satellite?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)