Newbie RE: pointing 3 LNB DirectTV dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

banjoguy

Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
In advance, thanks for any help you guys can offer.

I purchased a DirectTV HD system for my home in Oregon. One of the reasons that I chose DirectTV was that I frequently have to go to southern California for a month or two at a time, and I had purchased a motorhome that I had hoped to use my Direct TV HD receiver in when I was away from home.

When I had the system installed I purchased an additional 3 LNB Oval HD-compatable dish, which the installer helped me install on my motorhome. I have been very happy with this arrangement except that I seem to have ALOT of trouble pointing the dish when I change locations. I am somewhat technically proficient in many other areas, so I did not think it would be so difficult. (Naturally I have studied the documentation and instructions for the dish, receiver, and use the Guided Setup option on the HD receiver).

I also have purchased accessories to help me do this easier (e.g. Winegard Satellite Finder, Winegard compass, additional compass, tripod system...) but they do not seem to help much at all...Honestly I think they are made to find satellite positions that are easier to read than the one needed for the Direct TV HD service?

So far, I am only able to successfully point the satellite dish about 50% of the time, and it takes SO long for me to do it. On one recent occasion I was lucky enough to see a professional DirectTV installer in the RV park I was staying at (I had been unable to point my dish again). He came over and had a piece of equipment that he used (similar in nature to my Winegard Sat Finder, but obviously MUCH better since he was able to find the sat)...So, my questions are:

How long does it take a professional to find the sat necessary for DirectTV HD service once the mast is level and the dish set up according to Guided Setup directions? (the two I have seen did it in like 3 minutes...)?

What equipment do the pros use to be able to point the dish so easily? Is it something the average consumer can afford?

Is there any tricks/hints or anything that you pros can offer so I can point my dish correctly other than the basic, obvious ones? (e.g. make sure mast is level, clear view of southern sky, etc...)

Thanks so much for any feedback you can offer, this is driving me crazy since I'm usually good with technology-related stuff...

BG

I have set these up many, many time in about 20m or less with only a compass and screwdriver. Having the CORRECT coordinates and making 100% sure that mast is plumb & level is the key. As you already know every location will have slightly different coordinates.

Last edited:
banjoguy said:
In advance, thanks for any help you guys can offer.

I purchased a DirectTV HD system for my home in Oregon. One of the reasons that I chose DirectTV was that I frequently have to go to southern California for a month or two at a time, and I had purchased a motorhome that I had hoped to use my Direct TV HD receiver in when I was away from home.

When I had the system installed I purchased an additional 3 LNB Oval HD-compatable dish, which the installer helped me install on my motorhome. I have been very happy with this arrangement except that I seem to have ALOT of trouble pointing the dish when I change locations. I am somewhat technically proficient in many other areas, so I did not think it would be so difficult. (Naturally I have studied the documentation and instructions for the dish, receiver, and use the Guided Setup option on the HD receiver).

I also have purchased accessories to help me do this easier (e.g. Winegard Satellite Finder, Winegard compass, additional compass, tripod system...) but they do not seem to help much at all...Honestly I think they are made to find satellite positions that are easier to read than the one needed for the Direct TV HD service?

So far, I am only able to successfully point the satellite dish about 50% of the time, and it takes SO long for me to do it. On one recent occasion I was lucky enough to see a professional DirectTV installer in the RV park I was staying at (I had been unable to point my dish again). He came over and had a piece of equipment that he used (similar in nature to my Winegard Sat Finder, but obviously MUCH better since he was able to find the sat)...So, my questions are:

How long does it take a professional to find the sat necessary for DirectTV HD service once the mast is level and the dish set up according to Guided Setup directions? (the two I have seen did it in like 3 minutes...)?

What equipment do the pros use to be able to point the dish so easily? Is it something the average consumer can afford?

Is there any tricks/hints or anything that you pros can offer so I can point my dish correctly other than the basic, obvious ones? (e.g. make sure mast is level, clear view of southern sky, etc...)

Thanks so much for any feedback you can offer, this is driving me crazy since I'm usually good with technology-related stuff...

BG

takes me about 45 seconds to aim a phase 3.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

First DSS Install

Tivo's Season Pass

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)