Newbie, Polish Dish for Dad

Status
Please reply by conversation.

napstercc

Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
Canada
Hello,

I am new to the Dish world and my Dad wants to watch Polish TV. We are based in Canada and we used to watch it from the DISH years ago from a friend who installed it for us.

We have 3 Dish antennas on the roof with 1 Antenna controller with a motor( or something like that).

Where do I start from now so that I can watch polish TV?
I guess I need to buy a box

Thanks for your help

Reactions: polgyver
:welcome to Satelliteguys.
TV TRWAM is on G19, 97W, and is the only Polish channel I am aware of. (Or at least 'was' as I'm currently in bad weather causing reception difficulties) For that a dish at least 30 inches across is necessary. Just one satellite so a 'controller' isn't necessary.
For the clearest recommendations what's needed is:
Some good pictures of the dish. Include any specifications (numbers, brand, model)of the LNBF on the dishes.( The component on the front of the dish the coax attaches to) Also of the 'controller" as this will let us know what you have. Then recommendations of what you need will be more accurate.

Save bandwidth uploading pictures. Use irfanview to resize them to web friendly proportions (640x480 or 800x600) of a few hundred kb instead of 2 to 3mb or more.

Reactions: polgyver
It should also be noted, for the the thread starter who in new to the FTA world, that the two channels that are currently unencrypted (TV Polonia ad Tele 5) were encrypted for a long time, and there is every possibility that they may re-encrypt, or completely disappear from the satellite, at any time. As far as I recall, TV TRWAM has never been encrypted, so is likely to remain free to view.

It should also be noted, for the the thread starter who in new to the FTA world, that the two channels that are currently unencrypted (TV Polonia ad Tele 5) were encrypted for a long time, and there is every possibility that they may re-encrypt, or completely disappear from the satellite, at any time. As far as I recall, TV TRWAM has never been encrypted, so is likely to remain free to view.

Good point, thanks for adding the clarification.

Those should be good options and free for the OP. A while ago I tuned in to TV Polonia and there was this show (kind of a soap opera) with English sub-titles.

Tele 5 has some US movies I have never seen before, If you can deal with the overdubbing (can barely hear the English).

I wonder if there is any polish tv stations on a roku? Havent really looked

and for the bonehead of the day award...when I read the thread I thought "why the hell would the guy polish a dish for his dad?" (as in polish furniture)...DOH!

Seriously! You DON'T polish your dish?

I use this:
images

It's good for about an extra 3 dB!

Or they could do what Azteca 7 does, a separate APID for the original English audio, or even a left channel English, right channel Polish.
That's the idea I had for a few years, and hesitated to post it here, as I doubted its feasibility.
To assign one audio channel to original soundtrack, and the other audio channel (from stereo sound) to the translator-lector Voice-over.
I was not sure if this idea would create much trouble for the broadcaster and satellite transponder service.
However, the broadcaster should realize that the target audience can consist or people with different proficiencies in both languages, for example, mixed marriages.
I just wonder what other, more experienced members would say about this stereo-splitting idea?

Reactions: fred555
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chieta Diseqc Switch Question

New Prodelin project.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)