newbie needs help with 102g & old 1 meter primestar dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

monol0

Original poster
Dec 18, 2005
GA
Hello every one. I am really new at this & I hope some one can help me. I bought a twinhan 102g card & hooked it up with an old prime star dish. My problem is that I cannot pick up any sats. I am trying to pick up AMC 4 with no luck. I get around 75% signal strength & absolutely zero quality.:(
I can pick up the 101 from DTV with a 18 inch dish just fine.I tried the 102g on 2 computers & they both do the same thing. I have the lates driver fromTwinhan website Has anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Yes, use the DirecTV LNBF to point at 101w then swap back to the KU LNBF and at least then you will know you are pointing correctly at the satellite! (101w)

Moving to the DVB PC area!

And WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

Hey Mono10,
Have You tried L.O. 10750, and Ku selected, I usually test my primestars on sbs6H
11741-6617 ONN and have good luck getting signal and quality.
Are You using the lnb that came on the P/S, if so, is it single port H/V or
a dual port with H/V. You just about need to invest in a sat. meter or a cheap
dvb reciever with a signal and quality meter, where You can watch for quality,
to get a lock. Hope You get it.

monol0 said:
Hello every one. I am really new at this & I hope some one can help me. I bought a twinhan 102g card & hooked it up with an old prime star dish. My problem is that I cannot pick up any sats. I am trying to pick up AMC 4 with no luck. I get around 75% signal strength & absolutely zero quality.:(
I can pick up the 101 from DTV with a 18 inch dish just fine.I tried the 102g on 2 computers & they both do the same thing. I have the lates driver fromTwinhan website Has anyone have any suggestions?

Signal strength means very little , some LNBF's will give 40% pointing at the ground .

FTA Ku is much more " picky " about aiming than DTV or DN .

Wyr

Covack said:
Hey Mono10,
Have You tried L.O. 10750, and Ku selected, I usually test my primestars on sbs6H
11741-6617 ONN and have good luck getting signal and quality.
Are You using the lnb that came on the P/S, if so, is it single port H/V or
a dual port with H/V. You just about need to invest in a sat. meter or a cheap
dvb reciever with a signal and quality meter, where You can watch for quality,
to get a lock. Hope You get it.

Yea the LNB is the original that came with the P/S Dish. The LBN has two connections where I can run a cable to the DVB receiver or PCI card. I will try your configurations today. All I want to pick up something out their. I still have a DTV & DN receiver with their dish. The DN dish is DN300 & the DTV is a 18x20.
Thanks for the info.:D

i come to the conclusion that my 102G card is defective. i can pick up the DTV 101 just fine with a DTV receiver with around 85% quality. but when i connect the cable to sat-card, i have no quality on DTV 101 & AMC4. i am stuck with no FTA:(

The card will never work for DirecTV, they do not use MPEG-2 (Will not even get a signal)

I would upgrade the LNB, there are some available that will bolt right onto the Feedhorn (120mm flange) Then the polartity (H+V) is voltage controled.

PSB said:
The card will never work for DirecTV, they do not use MPEG-2 (Will not even get a signal)
I would upgrade the LNB, there are some available that will bolt right onto the Feedhorn (120mm flange) Then the polartity (H+V) is voltage controled.

kool i will try to get a new LBN. hopefully that should work.
but if i have my DTV receiver locked on their 101 i should pick up AMC4 with the primestar LNB right next to DTV LNB. It might be a bad Primestar LNB. :)

DirecTV and AMC-4 do share the same orbital position in the sky. (101w)
So if you use the DirecTV receiver to aim the dish all should have to do is swap the LNBF.
Sounds like you have one of the older P* LNB's one port is Vertical and the other is Horizontal.

When you switch to the FTA receiver remember to set the L.O. for the LNBF

Standard KU (P*) 10750

DirecTV 11250

PSB said:
Sounds like you have one of the older P* LNB's one port is Vertical and the other is Horizontal.
Yea you are right its one of those. i did not notice at first that one connection was for H & the other was for V.
I connected those two & the single cable from DTV to the DISECQ 1.0 . then to an inline Amp after that strait to the pci card. i hope thats the way its suppose to be.
I believe I already tried those freq but ill try it again. i might have missed them. thanks a bunch again.

no luck

i tried locking at AMC4 with no luck. i still believe i have a bad pci card or the drivers are no good. i install the new drivers from Twinhan site with no luck. i did not even get a reading. 0 quality & 0 strength. so i Had to go back to the drivers that came with the pci card. with driver at least i get around 77 straight & 0 quality. Even with a new universal LNB. i know i got AMC4. i hooked up my old DTV receiver to find it.
This Sucks.

Has any one came across this problem?

please help

Larry1 said:
Take out the inline amp. Most of the time they only cause problems.
thanks for the info Larry1. yea i tried thats with no luck. i have a RG6 cable from LNB strait to pci card.
:confused:

What software are you using to control the card? MyTheatre? ProgDVB? Software from the Twinhan install cd? (can not remember the name of the application that comes with the card)

i have used both MyTheatre & ProgDVB with no luck. For me MyTheatre is easyer to use than ProgDVB.

I also use MyTheatre, but by no means am an expert with it. Just make sure to set your LNBF up to the proper LO's and don't forget to press apply. With any of the settings in MyTheatre, look for the apply button. Also try with no DISEQ connected, just a cable directly to the LNBF. I have found that the meter readings with my Twinhan to be very low compared to a set top box. Fortunately I had a set top box to align the dish with and then just connected the cable to my sat card when the dish was peaked.

Mono, You might already know this,
You add three O's to Your freq. and s/rate when using
mytheatre while scanning in a channel.

i just pick up 119 on DN LNB. can i pick up any FTA channels if i hooked up on to my pci card? if not then i have to use my universal LNB?

hay larry what drivers do u have with your Twinhan card? i am using driver version 2.4.1.1 thats the one that came with the CD.

yes, the Dishnet 119 lnb will give a few fta channels.. ANGEL 1 is one that i remember.. and holiday music, which will soo dissappear if it hasnt already.. but if your objuective is to see if the card is working, it should work fine..

jasper

DtvAudio.sys 2.4.1.0 (says 2.4.1.1 in DtvAudio control properties, but 2.4.1.0 in driver details)

DtvVideo.sys 2.4.1.1

I find that the signal strength and quality readings with the Twinhan card to be very low. (currently on G10R, signal strength 37, Quality 24 with a 1m dish and 0.3db LNBF, my Digiwave box shows Quality 99 with the same LNBF feed)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Installation from an ark? Decks awash!

Pansat 2700A and LNB Types???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)