newbie here

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shocker510

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Johnson City,Tennessee
I'm new to the post and i'm glad i found it. I have a question about mounting the dish on a pole. I live in the 72.5w d-tv area and need 2 dishes. I was wanting to mount them both on one pole. I have heard alot about 11/4 inch galvanized with u-bolts. I got the 1 1/4 part but where does the u-bolts come into play.

to attach the two masts to it...

here ya go, i worked you up a detailed drawing of what you are trying to do

lol

Attachments

• polewtwodishes.bmp
    559.2 KB · Views: 124
I'm not an installer, but that is exactly how I mounted my dish several years ago, and I have had no problems with it.

dragon002 said:
directv belongs on the home if at all possible, and i am a tech, you will have a lot less problems

dragon

What do you have against a pole mount? I chose that method because I refuse to put holes in my roof. And mounting on the side would have meant the dish was visible from the street, something else I didn't want. So I mounted a pole in the ground, anchored to the eaves of my house, in the backyard. And shot over the roof. I have never had any issues with it.

sheridan said:
What do you have against a pole mount? I chose that method because I refuse to put holes in my roof. And mounting on the side would have meant the dish was visible from the street, something else I didn't want. So I mounted a pole in the ground, anchored to the eaves of my house, in the backyard. And shot over the roof. I have never had any issues with it.

didn't say i have anything against a pole mount per se.
with directv, the preferable mounting spot is the sidewall of the home or as most of mine are done, where the fascia board squares off at the edge of the house. i always discourage a roof mount here in western md / northern wv, because of snow and ice problems.

most pole mounts are three to four feet high and in the yard. i have seen them hit by deer, cows, kids,balls etc..
have seen the coax that is buried accidentally cut and chewed thru by rodents. pole mount is just not the preferable method, that is all i was saying

dragon

jesserulz233 said:
the person who installed my dish put mine on the roof so it could clear the trees

that is a horse of a different color, if it has to go on the roof, it has to

dragon

I can see your point. You are concerned about a pole mount standing somewhere out in the yard, away from any structure. I agree with your concerns. That kind of installation is asking for trouble, if not from wildlife, from kids who think it is something to mess with.

In my case, I used a telescoping mast from Radio Shack, anchored in concrete at the base and anchored to the fascia near the top. The top of the mast is 6 feet above the eaves and that is where the dish is mounted. The cables run down the mast to the eaves and into the attic. Grounding blocks and drip loops were used.

question, what are you going to do if the lnb needs changed in the winter?? or dont you get snow at your locale??

dragon

It's not any trouble to get to as it is only a single story house. In fact, I will be getting up there soon to change the entire dish and run new cables. I am finally upgrading to HD and have a new triple lnb dish in a box just waiting.

But to answer your question, we don't see much snow in Houston.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

H10 and Thunderstorm

grounding

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)