Newbie here...

fenwah

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
I currently have a 15 year old TV that is about to die on me. I'm looking at a Sony 30" CRT HDTV with a built-in tuner. I use Dish Network and have the DishPlayer DVR 522 receiver. If I wanted to recieve HDTV, would I still have to get a HDTV Dish receiver, or would my integrated receiver/tuner in my HDTV take care of that?

Your integrated tuner would work for OTA only. If you want any channels from the HD Pack you'll need an HD receiver from Dish like the 811 or 921.

Bobby said:
Your integrated tuner would work for OTA only. If you want any channels from the HD Pack you'll need an HD receiver from Dish like the 811 or 921.

Parden my stupidity, but does OTA stand for "off the air?" In other words, your DVD movies only. If that's the case, it doesn't make much sense to shell out the extra cash for a built in HDTV tuner when I still have to get a HDTV receiver.

Any ideas what Dish Network does to convert existing customers over to HDTV users? Obviously there is the new receiver. Also, what kind of costs would I encounter?

Also, is anyone aware of what local channels are offered by Dish Network (by city)?

Thanks a lot for your time...

fenwah said:
Parden my stupidity, but does OTA stand for "off the air?" In other words, your DVD movies only. If that's the case, it doesn't make much sense to shell out the extra cash for a built in HDTV tuner when I still have to get a HDTV receiver.

Any ideas what Dish Network does to convert existing customers over to HDTV users? Obviously there is the new receiver. Also, what kind of costs would I encounter?

Also, is anyone aware of what local channels are offered by Dish Network (by city)?

Thanks a lot for your time...
OTA really means local digital stations. Depending on your location, the number available to you will vary. Look at http://www.antennaweb.org for info on what local digital stations are available, and what kind of an antenna would be required at your house. Some of your best HD comes from OTA stations (IMHO). If you're going with the Dish HD package, don't bother getting a tv with an internal tuner. The Dish receivers handle OTA (from a UFH antennal input on the box).

Dish has a promo going on now for less than $1000, which gives you a HD tuner (811), and either a 40" RP or 32" CRT, available to current customers. Not sure about lead times and shipping.

The Dish Network web site ( http://www.dishnetwork.com ) has a table somewhere that lists the markets that locals are available in. There are no HD locals available via satellite (yet).

921 Not Locking Transponders For HD Channels. Help!

newbie question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)