Newbie Equipment Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am sure you will be VERY happy with the Fortec and Sadouns service :)

There is special "flooded" underground RG6 cable available would be BEST to use that. Or you could run two regular RG6 cables just in case one fails. I bury cables at around 6" deep (when I have to)

I've read a few posts here in the forums from various members that mention getting an inexpensive AC3 decoder at Wal-Mart to hook up to the receiver to get the audio on the PBS channels. Can someone recommend a specific mfg/model number for such a decoder? All the inexpensive ones I have seen do not have the SPDIF connectors. So I'm am bit baffled.

it just needs to do dolby digital :)

the one I bought a while back is discontinued. Just check your local wally world. Sometimes you get lucky :)

Thanks for the quick reply Iceberg!

I was looking at some in the $50 range that said dolby digital on wally world's website and none of them had optical or coax digital inputs, only L/R RCA's. If they only have L/R how do I connect that to the receiver's digital output? That's where I'm really getting confused. I'm probably making this much harder than it really is.

I have tested this unit along with a Coolsat, Pansat, Microyal, Satworks, KUsat (Digiwave) and a couple more

NOT an easy unit to work with...frankly its a PIA

Iceberg said:
I have tested this unit along with a Coolsat, Pansat, Microyal, Satworks, KUsat (Digiwave) and a couple more

NOT an easy unit to work with...frankly its a PIA

In your opinion what is the best receiver to buy in this range? I haven't ordered my receiver yet and I am interested in your input on the subject.

Thanks!

I have the setup you are going for, the 36" dish, motor, and QPH-031 LNB. Wit the limited experience I have I would suggest that the only change to make is the receiver. I have the Lifetime Ultra, it offered the most bang for the buck. Others may prefer Pansat, but the Fortec Lifetime Ultra has everything I need. The only other receiver I think about is the Coolest Pro , but because it comes with a universal remote. Also, the Pansat 2700a is on my list only because my Tivo support Pansat control.

It looks like your homework is going to pay off in that you are not likely to buy anything you will regret. Stick with that LNB, and 90cm dish, and motor, the receiver is the only thing to think about. Print out the specifications of both and put them side by side with a red pen. Check off the pluses of one over the other, including price. Then add up the checks and you will have your answer.

The Fortec Lifetime Ultra is probably the "best buy" right now that has the features you need and reasonable ease of use which I feel is important. 3500 and Coolsat are great but more cash.

The Fortec is a nice unit

Before this price hike (and we know why), I would say the Pansat 3500.....but now the Fortec works just as good and has the 2 most requested features
(USALS & BLIND SCAN)...also has AC-3

dogstar1313 said:
I was looking at some in the $50 range that said dolby digital on wally world's website and none of them had optical or coax digital inputs, only L/R RCA's. If they only have L/R how do I connect that to the receiver's digital output?
in a nutshell, you cant hook these units up to a FTA reciever. You need to have a optical or coax digital input.

Personally i have been trying to get a good deal on a Creative Labs Extigy USB soundcard. This soundcard can (supposedly) be used as a stand alone ac-3 decoder, without being hooked up to a computer, and it definately has spdif inputs ;-)

Thanks for the tip Dr. Hydro!

I did some research and it looks like you can definitely use the external Extigy soundcard as a stand alone decoder. I found one on eBay for 49 bucks and nabbed it. It is a reman unit directly from Creative with 30 day warranty. They had a couple more listed too.

Has anyone ever bought any bargain bin equipment from Sadoun? If so, were you happy with what you received?

Thanks again everyone for all your patience and help. I really appreciate it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help!

Coolsat Diseqc Switch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)