New Weather Channel

I think you'll find that more and more people are not using the TV for weather...or sports news...or even real news. I cannot remember the last time I tuned to the weather channel or to CNN. I'd much rather get it "on demand" with a few clicks on my computer than sit and wait for the news to cycle to what I'm interested in. I guess it just depends on whether you prefer the passive or active approach to it. That's not a value statement or judgment--just a personal preference.

I didn't say that wasn't true . I just stated that many don't want to. I'm a geek to and when there is weather related happenings in my area I will go direct to the NWS weather radar for my area.

true the days of live weather on TV are pretty much number on The Weather Channel. we have the Internet, NOAA weather radio, and the Local TV stations that cover severe weather events when it's bad enough for it. in times where there's bad weather in part of the DFW area that farther west of me, i might check up the local TV stations if there's nothing really on TV, but if there's something on that i would really like to watch like new shows on TV, i stick with the radar on wfaa.com, weather.gov for the weather bulletins to know when the storm warning/watch expires, and my Midland WR-100 S.A.M.E. weather radio (that's been with me around the same time i got satellite TV, four years ago.) to get the warnings when they are first issue if they are closer to my area.

Many don't want to go on a computer every time that they want to check the weather.

possibly some, and thus my whole statement....... Some have WiFi devices that show weather including radar that require you to do nothing but look at it, others have the subchannels that only show weather. But in this day, I am betting a vast majority will go to the computer for up to the minute weather even with 10 TV weather channels..... Hey, if Dish wants to add another one I certainly don't care, and would take a look at it, but in the end, I just think there are better ways than a dedicated national weather channel now.

Okay...I'm about to make a statement that will sort of sound contradictory. Many here have referenced the availability of local stations providing weather sub-channels, however these are primarily available OTA. Some cable systems offer these. However in the 3 years I've had access to digital OTA, I have lost 3 weather sub channels and will soon lose a 4th. This will leave me with reliable reception to one and semi-reliable reception to a 2nd -- which is the preferred one due to a better radar image. I have lost the other weather sub-channels because the local stations found alternative programming like THIS TV, RetroTV and other similar channels which they say (or hope) will generate more ad revenue than weather. The loss of weather sub-channels seems to be a trend nationwide. Like others here have posted, I also get a lot of weather info from the internet. However, I like the convenience of watching Dish TV programming and if there are storms looming then I can simply flip to another channel and be instantly gratified with live radar -- instead of having to get up and go to the computer.

Well you would think they should be able to develop a weather bug typ applications for some of the DVR's. I dont think data takes much space

Is vip 612 compatible w/ pocketdish 405e

Dish newwork 2nd receiver fee question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts