New Subscriber, Existing DirecTV Infrastructure

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JB233

Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Mid-South
Hi all,

I'll be a new subscriber to DirecTV in a few days, but the house we're moving into had a subscriber too, and has an existing installation. I have a few questions on the "new" install. My setup will be (all new) an HR34, 3 H25s, and an SD receiver.

1. The dish looks like it has the correct LNB setup (three LNBs, 4 cables down). The problem is the existing installation is in the front of the house, with all the cables running across the front roof-line, above the front door, and then down to a junction block (right beside the front entrance), and then down into the crawlspace. BUTT-UGLY! Will the installer be willing to re-route the cables to the side of the house? That will mean new runs to the 2 existing receiver sites. The 3 other rooms are new. I'm thinking he'll do it, especially since he won't need to install a new dish antenna setup. (or should I use the new dish/LNBs he'll bring?)

2. The HR34 will be about 50ft from my Internet router, and I intend to use a wired connection. Will the installer run a Cat6 cable in the crawl space? (there's a receiver in the router location too, so he'll be in both places running cable)

3. Alternatively, what are the considerations of using the HR34 in the router location (home office), and a H25 in the living room instead? Are there Interface/function differences with that setup?

4. Back to question 1, if we use the existing dish antenna, can/will he leave me the new dish parts he brought (for spares)?

Thanks for your help and advice.

#1 The installer should put the dish and run the cables wherever you want them, as long as the dish isn't blocked, obviously. The 3 LNB model is not current anymore, actually. They've got a setup now where only one cable comes down from the dish.

#2 I'm pretty sure D* installers will not run Cat6 or any kind of ethernet cable. Coax only. They will throw in a wireless CCK to connect to your router for free though.

#3 You will not be able to pause, rewind, etc live TV from a non HD-DVR receiver. You can start recording and then do these things though. You also will not be able to access on-demand from the H25 (though you can access a program that was previously downloaded on the HR34).

#4 No - if he doesn't install it, it is against policy for him to leave it.

KasumiX said:
#1 The installer should put the dish and run the cables wherever you want them, as long as the dish isn't blocked, obviously. The 3 LNB model is not current anymore, actually. They've got a setup now where only one cable comes down from the dish.

#2 I'm pretty sure D* installers will not run Cat6 or any kind of ethernet cable. Coax only. They will throw in a wireless CCK to connect to your router for free though.

#3 You will not be able to pause, rewind, etc live TV from a non HD-DVR receiver. You can start recording and then do these things though. You also will not be able to access on-demand from the H25 (though you can access a program that was previously downloaded on the HR34).

#4 No - if he doesn't install it, it is against policy for him to leave it.

Problem, if the dish isn't anywhere close to the house ground he'll prolly relocate it. As for the new system, he won't get it. He'll be forced to a SWM16 since he'll need 9 tuners. It's still SWM just not the single line. The installer will more than likely install a wired deca if a receiver is going to the same room the router is (installers don't get paid to install wifi deca's anymore).

Problem, if the dish isn't anywhere close to the house ground he'll prolly relocate it. As for the new system, he won't get it. He'll be forced to a SWM16 since he'll need 9 tuners. It's still SWM just not the single line. The installer will more than likely install a wired deca if a receiver is going to the same room the router is (installers don't get paid to install wifi deca's anymore).

I suppose that would be alright if nobody had secure access. Another blow for the little guy..........

Thanks for the great answers. So it sounds like there's no need to get the dish antenna replaced, though I may ask for it anyway just to get parts that are at least a couple of years or more newer.

I'll keep the HR34 in the living room for trick play and online content. Am I understanding Hutch1814 correctly in that the wired DECA can be installed on any receiver to get broadband to the entire system? That makes sense now that I think about it. That makes it a simple hookup.

The ground used by the system looks to be a rod put in just for the dish in the front of the house. He can move (or replace) that when he moves the cables.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV and NBC Both Flub Olympics Closing Ceremonies Coverage

H25/500 Transponder Problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)