New Sirius Customer

bcshields

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2003
Delaware
--Mods, if you want to move this, I'll understand. I figure until there's a Satellite Radio Forum opened, either Dish or General is where it goes.--

I just installed my own Sirius Satellite Radio!! Heard it on Dish, listened to the 3 day trial on their website and decided to go for it.

Knowing nothing about how to install it, I had some trial and error. My first purchase was at Walmart (GF gets a discount) and I bought their Jensen unit for around $140. It came with everything I needed.. reciever, antenna, mount and all applicable wires. My problem was that I figured i needed an FM modulator to tune it to my stock radio... and I thought it was a different piece of equipment, so I returned the whole thing. (Come to find out it was built into the reciever base.)

So i say "heck with it" and decided to get a retailer to install it. I call 4 of them, and all 4 had different prices (all over $220), and all 4 had no way to install it by Memorial Day. So I check Sirius' website, and see that Circuit City has them available.. A 30 mile drive later I'm in the store talking with a salesman.

By The way, GREAT DEAL at Circuit City, get the reciever and car kit, <b>get either a home kit or second car kit free! </B> For about $150 bucks, that's not a bad deal.

It was easy to install, suction cup mounted to my winshield, wires hidden, power connected to the ciggarette lighter (Saturn Ion's have 2), and all done in about 2 hours.. after trying to hide all the wires right.

WELL WORTH IT!

I've been lost there for a few days... reading and reading. Didja know they had 3 satellites in a elliptical figure 8 orbit over N. America instead of being geosycrinous like DBS?

Neato... I love new toys.

bcshields said:
I've been lost there for a few days... reading and reading. Didja know they had 3 satellites in a elliptical figure 8 orbit over N. America instead of being geosycrinous like DBS?

Neato... I love new toys.

Wow. How the heck does that work?

does anyone know the pricing/deal for dish customers? i am not to worried about having it in my car. i would like to use it at work and at home hooked up to a receiver.

That's like that low-orbit satellite phone service that never took off worked. Dang, what was that called again? Anyway, I think they had something to the order of 60 low-orbit non-geosynced sats.

Iridium.... I knew if I thought about it long enough... they have 66 different low orbit satellites.

snathanb said:
That's like that low-orbit satellite phone service that never took off worked. Dang, what was that called again? Anyway, I think they had something to the order of 60 low-orbit non-geosynced sats.

Iridium.... I knew if I thought about it long enough... they have 66 different low orbit satellites.
Yeah - that was something. Original company went bankrupt, and someone else bought up the satellites for less than a penny on the dollar. I always wondered if something kinky hadn't gone on there.
http://www.heavens-above.com/iridiumdemise.asp
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/iridium-00g.html

We plan on cancelling our HBO/Cin package on Sunday after the season finale of the Sopranos and applying the $17/mo. toward Sirius and NetFlix. We love Sirius after listening on DISH and want it as we drive. :)

NetFlix is great. You'll love it. You'll wonder how you put up with Ballbuster for so long. We probably get 12-15 movies a month from them. That's why we don't bother with AT180, PPV, or any premiums other than HBO. (Actually, if it wasn't for a couple of channels only available in AT120 and up, we'd drop to AT60.)

The great thing about living in San Jose (Netflix HQ) is the turnaround. If we mail a movie back on Monday, they get it Tuesday, mail out a new one, and we get it Wednesday. With 3 movies out at a time, there's always at least one fresh movie waiting on the coffee table.

I think Sirius is going to be the worst thing for my car.. all I want to do is drive! I've driven about a whole tank of gas over the weekend finding excuses to drive.

GaryPen said:
NetFlix is great. You'll love it. You'll wonder how you put up with Ballbuster for so long. We probably get 12-15 movies a month from them. That's why we don't bother with AT180, PPV, or any premiums other than HBO. (Actually, if it wasn't for a couple of channels only available in AT120 and up, we'd drop to AT60.)

The great thing about living in San Jose (Netflix HQ) is the turnaround. If we mail a movie back on Monday, they get it Tuesday, mail out a new one, and we get it Wednesday. With 3 movies out at a time, there's always at least one fresh movie waiting on the coffee table.

They have opened quite a few large distribution centers around the country. I live about 50 miles from Dallas, and I get the same turnaround time here.

bcshields said:
I think Sirius is going to be the worst thing for my car.. all I want to do is drive! I've driven about a whole tank of gas over the weekend finding excuses to drive.

I'm mounting a receiver into one of my Jetskis this weekend....

If you are talking about LEO geosynchronous satellites, I believe the company was Teledesic http://www.teledesic.com/

I'm not sure what has happened with these folks, but it was all the rage several years ago when Gates and McCaw invested into this eventual service.

Sirius is the BOMB

I have had sirius i would say for 6 months now, i had it installed february of 2003, but i didnt activate it until December 2003. I tell you what, it was a mistake of mine.

You wouldnt belive how much better Sirius is than AM/FM. I do have a few drawbacks for it though
1. I listen a lot to espn radio and espnnews and there are way too many channels.
2. They play the same song over and over

Other than that

I LOVE IT

The unlimited streaming online is a big plus too.. wish the entertainment channels were available online too. I'm listening right now pretty much most of my day.

Got the home kit working too.

bcshields said:
The unlimited streaming online is a big plus too.. wish the entertainment channels were available online too. I'm listening right now pretty much most of my day.

Got the home kit working too.

Yep, I listen to them all day at work. Nice not having to buy a PC card like over on XM.

New Install without running more cable

Problem with Sony Direct view and 811

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)