New Install: Wireless Joey not showing connected

Zephyr Triple Crown

Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
FL, NY, KY
Followed all the install instructions and in the end the Wireless Joey (WJ) isn't showing under the Wireless Access Point 2 (WAP-2) as connected. I've pressed Select on the WJ and the WPS on the WAP-2 and nothing. I had the WAP & WJ 30' apart and in direct view of each other. One of these units has an problem but which one? Thanks

Dish Network Wireless Joey Connceted Screen.jpg

Followed all the install instructions and in the end the Wireless Joey (WJ) isn't showing under the Wireless Access Point 2 (WAP-2) as connected. I've pressed Select on the WJ and the WPS on the WAP-2 and nothing. I had the WAP & WJ 30' apart and in direct view of each other. One of these units has an problem but which one? Thanks

View attachment 143320
Zephyr Triple Crown, have you tried to rest both the Wireless Joey and the Access Point to check if it appears on the menu?

Also, connect the Joey to the Hopper via Ethernet, it'll download software, Needed. When it's done, connect it to the WAP and press the Select Button/ WPS on the WAP. Once it connects, unplug it and move it back to where you want it, then reconnect the Ethernet form the WAP to the Hopper

Reactions: charlesrshell
What does " have you tried to rest both the Wireless Joey and the Access Point" mean? Thanks

Apologies for not catching that typo. It should read "reset both the Wireless Joey and the Account Point". This can be done by unplugging them both, plugging in the WAP first and then the Joey to get a connection.

Apologies for not catching that typo. It should read "reset both the Wireless Joey and the Account Point". This can be done by unplugging them both, plugging in the WAP first and then the Joey to get a connection.

Yes I did that with Dish, at least twice, over the phone. The WAP is set to Access Point. I am going to try what HipKat suggested with the ethernet cables because the WJ did everything up to waiting for software download. Thanks

Reactions: HipKat
The Wireless Joey (WJ) showed up in the Whole Home Screen. The only indication I can see that it's downloading is the indicator light for the ethernet jack. I'm assuming the top green light indicates connected and the blinking lower amber light means it's transmitting data?

Attachments

• Dish Network Wireless Joey Ethernet Jack.jpg
    Dish Network Wireless Joey Ethernet Jack.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 726
  • Dish Network Wireless Joey Ethernet Screen.jpg
    Dish Network Wireless Joey Ethernet Screen.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 613
I did what HipKat suggested and got further into the install. But it stopped at waiting for the activation signal. Called Dish and they tried to send an activation signal that never got here??? I've attached the screen shots from the Wireless Joey. Any suggestions? Thanks
Dish Receiver Activation 1.jpg
Dish Receiver Activation 2.jpg

I did what HipKat suggested and got further into the install. But it stopped at waiting for the activation signal. Called Dish and they tried to send an activation signal that never got here??? I've attached the screen shots from the Wireless Joey. Any suggestions? ThanksView attachment 143377View attachment 143378
What I can tell your receiver is not connected to the internet, go into network to check this.

I did what HipKat suggested and got further into the install. But it stopped at waiting for the activation signal. Called Dish and they tried to send an activation signal that never got here??? I've attached the screen shots from the Wireless Joey. Any suggestions? ThanksView attachment 143377View attachment 143378
You did right. Activation comes from the Hopper so here, I would replace the WiFi Joey to the permanent spot, plug the WAP back into the Hopper, go into Networking settings on the Joey and press select, then WPDS on the WAP and see if it connects

The Wireless Joey has a "Select" button on the front. When I pressed that I got a new menu showing the Joey the WAP and the internet (which I don't have). On the lower Left it says Router Not Detected and below that it says "Connection Type - Ethernet"? Thought I was Wireless? I click on Network Details and see I could choose Ethernet or Wireless but it doesn't change to wireless. So I select Reset Network and nothing. So I pressed Select on the WJ and then WPS on the WAP to see if it will connect. Nope......

Attachments

• Dish Network Wireless Joey Select1.jpg
    Dish Network Wireless Joey Select1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 650
  • Dish Network Wireless Joey Select2.jpg
    Dish Network Wireless Joey Select2.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 327
So I selected "Reset Network" at the WJ and it returned message 1229 that "Joey has successfully configured the network" Still not seeing it under the WAP in the Dish Diagnostics. Decided to hard reset the system. Restarted the Hopper & WAP then the WJ. Hummm I think that is only the Internet Connection. So in the end pressing Select on WJ and then WPS on the WAP did nothing.

Unplug your receiver your WAP and your WJ, Disconnect your ethernet cable from your WAP--plugin your receiver let it boot to live tv--plug in your WAP DO NOT plug in ethernet cable in yet there is a reset hole on the back of the WAP use a paper clip in the hole to reset watch the lights on the front will flash wait a couple of minutes then plug in the ethernet cable--wait a hour then plug in the WJ and try to connect. Let me know if it works

Unplugged everything. Powered up Hopper to Live TV. Plugged in WAP with ethernet unplugged. Pressed the reset on the back of the WAP. The top green power light flashed for some time then went solid. Plugged in the ethernet cable and the bottom blue network light came on. The center orange light for the WiFi did nothing and has never been on solid. Now I'm waiting the hour to plug the WJ back in. From other troubleshooting activities the WAP Orange WiFi has only come on flashing when I pressed the Select Button on the WJ and then the WPS button on the WAP. It flashes for a while and goes out?

Downgrading to Welcome Pack?

RV Antenna ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)