New DVR R-10/Locals Activation Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JAM

Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Hey, folks. I purchased a brand new R-10 a few days ago. I am really enjoying it so far. All initial setup and activation went smoothly, except for activation of the local channels. Let me tell you what I did (or tried to do) to obtain my desired locals. Perhaps someone can help me out in solving the problem. I attempted to activate the Orlando locals (zip 32825) so we can use the receiver at a vacation home there and also use it at my regular home (zip 32096). Three attempts by D* csr's failed to get the locals authorized. In the guide, it would only show Tallahassee locals channel numbers and logos. The receiver was initially set up in my home with zip 32096/area code 386 (White Springs-Tallahassee DMA). This was done so the receiver could make the occasional neccessary local call. There are no phone lines in the Orlando residence (We just use cell phones there). I am using a single 18" inch dish with dual lnb's at both locations. The Orlando transponder shows signal of 65-68 (signal locked) in White Springs and 95+(signal locked) in Orlando. My mailing address is zip 32096 and the physical address is zip 32825. Maybe the receiver "knows" it is mainly in the 32096 area due to the input call out information? One csr told me the locals should have activated despite any of the above due to the signal strength of the spot beam. I might have to get the triple lnb dish and just try to activate Tallahassee. I was hoping for Orlando locals due to a greater number of channels offered and better PQ. Any advice or info would be appreciated. If this type of situation has been previously discussed, perhaps someone could point me to the right thread. Thank you.

I am not allowed to post links, so I have PM'd you links to some Direct TV spot beam maps.

I don't know how accurate they are, but it appears that the Tallahassee area is not located within the Tampa-Orlando spot beam.

orlando is not your DMA and the spot beam wont reach that far(tallahassee). you cant have two sets of locals on the same ird.

Thanks, guys, for your responses. I allready understood about not being able to get two sets of locals. I was hoping the spot beam was strong enough that I would be able to receive locals when I carried the receiver to either location. According to the transponder map, I am just a little beyond the Orlando beams reach. I'll have to get a triple lnb dish and activate Tallahassee (which is not on the 101 sat). I'm in that DMA location most of the time anyway. Thanks DTivo Fan for the PM.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

damaged read this...

Projection TV blurry using DirecTV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)