New Bie need help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New_2_FTA

Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Minneapolis, mn
I am completely new and have heard about FTA channels available that I can get in the US. I found myself a receiver and a Directv 18" round dish from a flea market. The receiver is in working condition and the the dish has a dual lnb mounted on it. I am located facing south and am unable to get any sats or quality on my receiver. Is that the lnb is not working. I have tried every damn location in the sky and dont have any encouragement to continue. HELP !!

What is the brand & model number of the receiver?

That dish will not be very useful unfortunately. The only FTA you can consistently get with it is NASA TV @ 119°W. You really need a 36" dish and a linear LNBF.

We can help you get NASA TV while you're locating a bigger dish, just post the receiver information.

You might find ftalist.com useful, it has some good basic getting started information and simplified channel lists. Also check "The List!" at the top of this forum to get an idea about what is available free.

You won't get much real FTA with that dish.
It came equipped with a circular LNB, which is used for the DirecTV and Dish subscription satellites.

One thing you could do to get some instant gratification, is to point it to the 119°w Dish Network satellite, and you'll get NASA TV and Angel One.
Use one of the many dish-pointing programs, input your zip code, and use the provided numbers to aim your dish.

For real FTA, you'd need a 36" dish equipped with either a Standard or Universal LNB (but not a Circular one).
Our own TheList gives more up to date technical info on satellites and channels, but for the newbie, FTA List might be less confusing.

What sort of receiver do you have?

I have a nFusion Solaris receiver.I tried connecting the DirecTV antenna (with Dual LNB) and tried pointing it to 119W. The signal I get is less than 2 and quality not more than 9. I will post my receiver settings soon. Any immediate advice ?

FTA is not a "Plug-N-Play" system.
You have to "tell" the receiver what it has connected to it.
You have to enter the Frequency of the LNB, called "L.O." Local Oscillator.
Look on the LNB for a sticker that has it's info.
Then in the Receiver's Setup Menu, find the Sat you are aiming for, and enter the LNB Freq / L.O. , any Switch info, and Motor info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Trouble With Pansat 2500A Receiver

ADTH IR6600 receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts