Netflix Just Commissioned Its Largest Number of Titles in 3 Years

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
While Broadcast, Cable Channels ( and some streaming services) have reduced or eliminated content entirely (TBS, TNT and soon, possibly SyFy have eliminated new scripted content) , Netflix (and Amazon) are increasing.

Netflix commissioned its highest number of new titles since the third quarter of 2021, while Amazon Prime Video set an all time record for its quarterly content production, according to a report from Ampere Analysis.

In fact, Netflix and Amazon commissioned more than half of all global SVOD original titles in the first financial quarter of 2024, the research company said.

• Wow
Reactions: ncted
More gains-

Netflix reported revenue expansion of 16.8% to $9.559 billion in the second quarter, solidly beating guidance issued back in Q1 of 15.9% revenue growth.

Globally, the streaming giant expanded its user base by more than 8 million customers, with its ranks now swelling to 277.65 million paid members worldwide. Netflix added only around six million customers over the same period last year. Membership was up by 1.45 million in Netflix's biggest market, the U.S. and Canada, where account-sharing restrictions are still reshaping its market.

While all the streaming services wanted to be like Netflix, none of of them have learned the lessons Netflix has taught, namely exclusivity with content, does not help services like MAX to make all your content available elsewhere, the only reason for doing so was for quick cash.

While Broadcast, Cable Channels ( and some streaming services) have reduced or eliminated content entirely (TBS, TNT and soon, possibly SyFy have eliminated new scripted content) , Netflix (and Amazon) are increasing.
For the live of me, I do not understand why the traditional networks/studios aren't putting *all* of their new content on both linear *and* DTC at the same time. They save a lot of their best scripted stuff for DTC. They save some of their sports, news and reality shows for linear. Just put everything on both.

Max, Paramount+, and Peacock should all shut down as individual DTCs and then pool their content into new joint ventures. At the same time, WBD should rename TBS to Max and make it the home of Max Originals like Hacks and Peacemaker. NBCUniversal should rename USA to Peacock and make it the home of Peacock Originals like Poker Face and The Traitors. Lastly, Paramount+ Originals like Star Trek and Tulsa King should just be called Paramount Originals and air on Paramount Network.

This isn't hard. They have to give up on the fantasy that they're going to get consumers to both buy the full cable bundle with all of their linear content *and* also buy their DTC. Just serve up the same content either way and let consumers choose.

Reactions: MikeD-C05 and ncted
I was certain they would go bankrupt with the ending of sharing passwords.

We were told as much.

Odd.
I thought they'd struggle as companies pulled their media from them. They've seemed to have done the opposite.

I was certain they would go bankrupt with the ending of sharing passwords.

We were told as much.

Odd.
You, myself and meStevo were the only ones here that posted the opposite.

With almost 280 Million subscribers worldwide, plus about 80 Million here, I had no doubt, too popular of a service.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
The bill amount is the same whether you take Netflix or not.

I DID, however, choose a different T-Mobile plan (55+?) that is cheaper but does not come with Netflix. And a few other minor differences.
Netflix (with ads tier) is baked in my Magenta plan. I pay the difference for the top tier. Also get Apple Tv+ for free.

Reactions: navychop
by that logic, you're also not getting it free when you pay for it with your credit card rewards.
Never said I was not, but it is either a small percentage back in cash, or a much bigger percentage back towards digital gift cards.

You do not get it free, it is baked into your monthly bill.
I dropped my Free Netflix with T-mobile - so I could go with Netflix and my parents on the account with me. My T-mobile bill hasn't changed in price at all. Still $70.00 for two phones on the 55 and over plan.

I dropped my Free Netflix with T-mobile - so I could go with Netflix and my parents on the account with me. My T-mobile bill hasn't changed in price at all. Still $70.00 for two phones on the 55 and over plan.
But haven't they stopped the account sharing?

I have the two of us on the 55+ plan. It is cheaper for me to have my MiL on a prepaid account than to add her to our postpaid account.

T-Mobile has come a long way over the years. Good coverage.

But haven't they stopped the account sharing?
No you add an additional price that is not as much as the full price for the parents. Like an additional receiver fee with satellite, but they call it "extra member" and you pay $7.99 per month. They won't let you do that if you have it through T-mobile . They wont let you add an extra member through a phone provider.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

NBA’s new TV Deal looks to go to Streaming

FIRESTIKs