Neighboring channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jarvi9499

Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
here is my situation. I live in an area in Texas where you cannot get any channels off-air so you have to subscribe to cable or satellite. I currently subscribe to Directv but am only able to get locals from NY,CHI,LA or "a la carte" stations, the closest being Denver, Co. In order to get them from somewhere closer, in my own state would be good, like Dallas or Austin, what should I do? Request a waiver or "move"?

Based on that zip code, it seems IMO, that if and when anything is available to you it would only be from the closest DMAs to you, such as El Paso and/or Midland-Odessa. But I can't see Dallas or Austin as a possibility. Now if you changed your service address to the DFW DMA, then you should get their locals assuming the spot beam is that large and you are covered by it. I would suggest selecting one of those closer DMAs that I listed above. Seeing that you are in a seemingly total unserved area, I would enjoy the full SD & HD DNS services I think you should be eligible to receive.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat being between South Bend and Chicago. It doesn't seem to be DirecTV's fault. You can get South Bend where I live with a good antenna, in fact I grew up primarily watching South Bend channels. The cable systems provide both Chicago and South Bend Channels.

The brilliant FCC in all their great wisdom (I'm in telecom and they've done nothing but screw stuff up the last 10 years) says we get Chicago only on Satellite. Almost seems like they're completely favoring cable over satellite. In fact around here the only way not to get South Bend is with dishes.

I could put up an antenna (not one on my current house) but I don't want to put a tripod on my roof. I'm thinking of putting up a 60' tower to do Ham Radio stuff with and then I could just throw a South Bend antenna up there and get all my off airs from the antennas.

I even wrote Congressman Visklosky about the problem and he in turn wrote the FCC who sent him a personalized letter about the situation. It changed nothing and they stated as usual I was in the Chicago DMA and would not be eligible for South Bend stations. Congressman Visklosky was fantastic about it but it didn't get me anywhere or change anything. I just want to be fair to him because he has been awesome about everything I've contacted him about!

I just think the rules should be the same. If DirecTV and DISH Network cannot legally give us the same DMA as cable, cable should be forced to remove them also. Then the FCC would get an ear full because everyone here has had them their whole life on cable.

I am not an anti government person but the FCC has ZERO common sense when developing these rules.

My Common Sense: If the county in question can put up a medium size antenna and/or the cable companies carry those channels, the satellite companies should be able to off them also. As simple as that. Yes I realize this would require some policing but its much more fair than the current plan.

I live in Berrien County, Michigan just to the north of you. If you look at a map of Indiana, the eastern border of your county (Laporte) is probably not much more than 15 miles from South Bend's transmitters.
Being in South Bend's DMA, we don't have any access to Michigan TV stations through Directv, and probably never will, even with SV.
Any SV here, if ever, will be from Chicago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directv and Sleuth channel

Transfer TV Shows off of DVR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)