Need some help with OTA antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
When D* came and installed my new HD Tivo, they also brought the antenna that they use for OTA. Of course, since i'm about 40 miles out from the antenna's it didn't work for me. Now, should I call in to D* and say that the antenna didn't work for me and see if I can get the DNS feeds now (even though I applied for waivers once and they denied me) or should I go to winegards website and get a higher quality antenna and try again? Also, if I do try a different OTA antenna, does it matter how long I run the cable from the antenna to the reciever? Cause right now it's got about a 50 or 60 foot run, but I could move it closer if I was feeling ambitious.

Also, could someone recommend a good antenna for me? My zip code is 57424. I am looking at the Winegard 7037A but I'm not sure if this will be a good enough antenna or not. I love in a single story house. Thanks a lot for any help. i'm very new to this and want to get as many HD channels as I can! =)

57424 looks like minnesota / souix falls - ie.. in the middle of the middle :)

Go to antennaweb.org and punch in your address - it will give you the distance to anything that is in your area.. (which doesnt look like much) - so you need a big a$$ antenna :)

try this thread over at avs..
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=209848&goto=newpost
its the south dakota thread..

or try this one..
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=446660&goto=newpost
its the minneapolis local - might be out of your range though..

there may be someone over there that is in your area..

good luck

jim

Good luck. According to antennaweb.org, you only have two digital stations anywhere near, and one is VHF, 45 miles away. Hope you like ABC.

* green - uhf KABY-DT 9.1 ABC ABERDEEN SD 72° 29.8 28
* violet - vhf KDLO-DT 3.1 CBS FLORENCE SD 88° 45.0 2

Thanks for all the help everyone. Hogarth, I already asked D* and they had to do the waiver thing with the local stations in Sioux Falls. I did waivers for ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC. NBC was the only one that approved. The other 3 said that I'm supposed to be able to pull in their stations OTA, which except for ABC, I highly doubt that. I'm going to call D* and see if now that I've put up an antenna if there's anything else they can do to get me the distant feeds.

Based on your 57424 the network listings show ABC (30m) and CBS (45m) with a Grade-A signal. At those ranges you will need a top quality directional as I listed above. You should be eligible for NBC (as you said) but also FOX.

The problem with the ones that you listedd charper are that they are uhf only. I need one that is uhf/vhf. Got any recommendations based on that? Also keep in mind that I only have a single story house, so the antenna won't be mounted very high off the ground. Also, will the length of the cable run affect signal quality at all?

I would try to stay under 100' max, but really under 60' if it was me. Here are some top quality VHF/UHF/FM antennas.

Winegard HD8200p
Winegard HD7084p
Winegard HD7052p
Winegard HD7042p
Channel Master CM3671
Channel Master CM3020
Channel Master CM4242

Thanks for all the help charper. I'm very new to this and just wanted to make sure I don't spend that much money on an antenna and then have it not work. I'll do some research on those antennas and let you know what I decide on.

Go to antennasdirect. I'm picking up all the stations in hd (abc,cbs,nbc,fox). I'm at least 45-50 miles away. I have the DB8 no amp. I was told by several people I would get nothing. I get them all. Since I live in IN. I get local channels through D and my ota picks up channels out of OH (I'm right on the state line) I'm usually get two different NFL games on CBS and sometimes FOX. Check them out they should be able to help you.

Yes it is UHF only. I called a guy that I know near here that does satellite installs and things like that and he is bringing an antenna that he claims will work sometime next week. I don't know for sure what kind of antenna it is but as I find out more I'll let you guys know. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

I noticed you said "no amp." I have a preamp, but I'm not sure it's really helping in my situation. I have one station really close and a couple others that are about 60 miles away. I've got a decent directional antenna (a winegard deep fringe--I don't remember the model) and a channel master Spartan 3 preamp. It's not real easy to get up to the preamp, but I've wondered if it's helping or hurting with the distant stations. (It definitely overloads my local digital station, but its a different direction anyway so it works out).

In general, with the HR10-250 and a signal thats 50+ miles away, does the preamp really help or could it hurt?

FYI, my zip code is 63501.

I should add that the local station is reliable, but I can only get the distant stations during special conditions late at night.

Thanks.

steelerfulk said:
Go to antennasdirect. I'm picking up all the stations in hd (abc,cbs,nbc,fox). I'm at least 45-50 miles away. I have the DB8 no amp. I was told by several people I would get nothing. I get them all. Since I live in IN. I get local channels through D and my ota picks up channels out of OH (I'm right on the state line) I'm usually get two different NFL games on CBS and sometimes FOX. Check them out they should be able to help you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

why is my direcTivo dialing out so much??

should I upgrade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)