Need help recording

VGTsum

Original poster
Jun 25, 2004
Hi, I am a newb to the whole Dish Network system. My Dish Network model number is 500. Anyways, my question is: Is it possible to record a show onto a blank tape using my VCR while my TV is turned off? When I put a record timer, my satellite system automatically turns my VCR on, but not the TV and doesn't record the show that I wanted to watch. Anyone know how I could make this VCR record timer to work?

Thanks,
VGTsum

P.S. Sorry for posting a thread that was probably posted a thousand times.

I'm tired and I need a nap. Actually, I haven't seen this question asked (or I would've told you to use the forum search :)).

Your model number is not 500. That might be the class of dish that you have.

Start by reading your VCR & receiver's user's manuals cover-to-cover. Twice.

If you haven't figured it out by then, please reply with receiver model, connections used, how the signal is routed through receiver, VCR, and TV, whether a stereo is involved and whether it has video switching.

Guess we don't need to know your LNB types and whether you have other receivers or any satellite switches or a secondary switch.

If you have figured it out, you are now qualified to answer questions for other people - just because you read the manuals. :)

This is like asking if your computer's monitor has to be "on" at 3am while your anti-virus app is doing a full system scan.... No, the TV does NOT have to be on.

SimpleSimon said:
I'm tired and I need a nap. Actually, I haven't seen this question asked (or I would've told you to use the forum search :)).

Your model number is not 500. That might be the class of dish that you have.

Start by reading your VCR & receiver's user's manuals cover-to-cover. Twice.

If you haven't figured it out by then, please reply with receiver model, connections used, how the signal is routed through receiver, VCR, and TV, whether a stereo is involved and whether it has video switching.

Guess we don't need to know your LNB types and whether you have other receivers or any satellite switches or a secondary switch.

If you have figured it out, you are now qualified to answer questions for other people - just because you read the manuals. :)

Hey Simon I thought that the forums took the place of reading manuals :D I threw all of mine away. I sure hope this guy isn't blind and can't read the manual! It kind of reminds me of a question that I would have asked about a month or two ago :eek:

Bob

stratguy said:
Hey Simon I thought that the forums took the place of reading manuals :D I threw all of mine away. I sure hope this guy isn't blind and can't read the manual! It kind of reminds me of a question that I would have asked about a month or two ago :eek:

Bob
I would think that we have a lower percentage of blind people reading these forums than others. :D

I'm just hoping we can get the OP up to a basic level of knowledge so that we CAN help him. :)

After a couple decades of doing various kinds and levels of technical support over the phone, sometimes you just get a feel for what the user needs. I think this is my first post here where I told the user to hit the books right at the start. :)

Aside: I've fielded countless calls where the answer was in 72 point type on page 1 of the manual. I'd give the "oooh, that's a tough one" line and say let's see what's in the manual - "do you have your manual?" - and I'd hear the shrinkwrap being ripped off it. :eureka Funny thing is, 90% of the time that the user called again, he was an expert in the product. We even hired a couple of them. :up

another phone line question

I got my 721

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)