Need Help PLEASE! Pansat 2500a

Status
Please reply by conversation.

signaltracker

Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
Hi,

I have installed a new Pansat 2500a. I have it on F4 (satcom C4) currently on Tech TV. I get a picture but no sound. When I push the button on the remote (the one with the speaker and the question mark) I get an on screen menu that has "AC3" in a small box and next to it is a larger box that says "AUDIO, LANGUAGE, L and R" I have tried having just the L on, then just the R on then both the L and R on. But no sound. Picture is excellent. Does anyone have any advice? The manual is of no use. Also if there is a site with a good faq about this reciever, please let me know.

Thanks

Joe

If that channel is AC3 then the only way you will be able to hear it is to run the AC3 audio out to a stereo with the AC3 decoding feature, so although this receiver has AC3 out you still need something to decode it!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US!

Pansat audio problem

Thanks for the reply

Can I change it to another type of audio? I ran the smart search and it found it. I never told the unit what audio to use (I dont know if I can even set up the audio format while programming). I am still new to this but slogging my way through. If I cant change it because the that is the format used by the broadcaster, any suggestions on cheap way to decode? (What stereo uses ac3?)

Thanks

Joe

IF that channel has only AC3 audio you need an AC3 decoder. A few members have reported places like Walmart sell reasonably priced stereos/music centers with the AC3 function! So you may have to sniff one out, good luck!

Is there any chance that I have set the audio inadvertently to AC3, and the broadcast is actually in another format. Is there some place I can go oin the net to see the settings of Tech TV in Mpeg. Or, since this is the first satellite I have programmed, in maybe I should go program in another and see if I have the same problems. I have a cband dish at the moment that I am rebuilding. Do you have a suggestion of a satellite I can go to find a FTA channel that does not have a specialized audio output? Do you happen to know what the "normal" or "average" audio format is for FTA channels on Cband?

Thanks

Joe

And actually AC3 is the less common format on FTA stuff. Most audio is just standard PCM 48khz stereo MPEG audio. So on almost any other channel you should be able to hear the audio.

I have been to the site before. I have to admit it a bit jibberish to me. I install computer networks, set up servers, build web pages, but I cant make heads or tails out of the info. The problem is I am doing this completly on my own (did my Ham license and Amatuer Astronomy the same way :( .) I am finding that there is no one book, site, etc that has a newbie section on programming FTA channels. Or how to read charts like the one you listed. Now if you want to maybe help me along.... I will be happy to pay it forward.

Thanks Joe

Tech TV shows up on AMC 10 on Lyngsat.

TuxCoder said:
And actually AC3 is the less common format on FTA stuff. Most audio is just standard PCM 48khz stereo MPEG audio. So on almost any other channel you should be able to hear the audio.

Sorry, this post got by me. Thanks for the reply. Have you seen Tech TV before? I was wondering if it is only broadcast in this format.

Joe

TuxCoder said:

I was looking at you list of equipment. Do you know where a good source of info for the Pansat 2500a? The manual sux. Also I am looking to put in a Ku system also, any suggestions? Is there a source of information that has what can be seen (satellites in South America, Europe, Africia, etc)from the Southest US. I am in Savannah Georgia (the most haunted city in America according to the Travle Channel :)

Joe

I think stations that are sending AC3 are only sending that format because usually the "intended" recipient hardware is capable of decoding to PCM/analog stereo and thus a separate PCM stream would be a bandwidth waste. At least the AC3 channels I get (Ku 30" dish only) never have any non-AC3 audio streams.

signaltracker said:
I was looking at you list of equipment. Do you know where a good source of info for the Pansat 2500a? The manual sux. Also I am looking to put in a Ku system also, any suggestions? Is there a source of information that has what can be seen (satellites in South America, Europe, Africia, etc)from the Southest US. I am in Savannah Georgia (the most haunted city in America according to the Travle Channel :)

Joe
Many of us on here are very familiar with the 2500A and can answer any questions you have on it. Ask away! :)

As for what can be seen from your location, you just need to first figure out what longitude range on the clarke belt you can see based on each slot's elevation. There are a few dish pointing angle calculator web sites out there to get the elevation info from. And LyngSat's site has their own tracker to show you whether you'd be able to see a certain slot or not. Once you determine the range, look at each satellite in those slots on LyngSat and look at the Beam column for each transponder. That tells you where the satellite (or a certain transponder in many cases) is pointed.

Most of the satellites in South America, Europe, Africa are out of range, as the Tux says check out the Lyngsat tracker to see what satellites you can reach, even then many channels are on beams pointing at the above countries so even IF you can see the satellite you will not pick up channels not being beamed here!

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/america.html
Click on a satellite of interest, then move the yellow dot to your location to see if the satellite can be seen, then check the beam on the lyngsat list!

Thanks PSB (Peter) and TuxCoder, you Guys have been a big help. I will spend most of today trying to program this reciever, before the Trick or Treaters get here. Have a Hap Halloweenie!

Ps I will probably be back today with some more newbie questions!

Joe

Thanks PSB (Peter) and TuxCoder, you Guys have been a big help. I will spend most of today trying to program this reciever, before the Trick or Treaters get here. Have a Hap Halloweenie!

Ps I will probably be back today with some more newbie questions!

Joe

PSB said:
I am sure you have seen this.....

http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html (pink= c-band)

I do not have C band yet : ( So maybe another member will add to the above.

Satcom C4 (moving 0.4°E/day) I cant find much more info on this satellite!

Satcom C4, was just replaced by AMC 11. Everything should have transfered over to the new sat uninterupted.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

t5

How Good Are In Line Pre-Amps?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts