Need advice.

Jeffdbs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2003
I been away for awhile. Many life changes. I believe I been with dish since the 90’s. Had to put my unit in pause for a very long time. Hopefully turning back on soon. I see 129 is gone. Possible to tweak my 61.5 dish to see another satellite to fill all my four ports? I appreciate your feedback. Jeff
IMG_5087.jpeg
IMG_5070.jpeg
IMG_5092.jpeg

If your local channels are on the western arc, 110/119, you don’t need anything else. All the channels are there. 61.5, which is eastern arc, has only part of the channels. And, yes, 129 has been retired. You have no need to fill 4 ports.

If your local channels are on the western arc, 110/119, you don’t need anything else. All the channels are there. 61.5, which is eastern arc, has only part of the channels. And, yes, 129 has been retired. You have no need to fill 4 ports.
Thank you. I understand now port four is not needed to view programming. I am curious though if it possible to tweak my 61.5 dish to two satellites?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, all you need for regular programming is western arc 119/110 and eastern arc 72.7 and 61.5. They quit using 77 and 129 sats and all channels are now in mpeg 4. Now International programming is still on 118 I think. But I never subscribed to it.

Soooooo, I am in a pretty rural place myself with some good tree canopy. I am “treading the needle” for eastern arc with some potential for visibility to western arc. I didnt even know this was possible and seems like this would be a good application to do the same? Does this give you a good bit of redundancy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Soooooo, I am in a pretty rural place myself with some good tree canopy. I am “treading the needle” for eastern arc with some potential for visibility to western arc. I didnt even know this was possible and seems like this would be a good application to do the same? Does this give you a good bit of redundancy?

Yes, having four satellite positions does give a viewer a good bit of redundancy. I remember during T/storms downpour or heavy snow a least one of the satellites position would work. With 129 gone I am getting an error code apparently the hopper thinks I have a blockage problem. I forgot to mentioned this problem why I was asking on tweaking the 61.5 dual dish is to eliminate the error code.

I’d love to know how it all works out for you - I have a Wally that still thinks it should see the 129 and also thinks the software is up to date. Seems similar….

I think if you leave it plugged in for a while it should update on its own, that’s what my friend did atleast with his hopper duo and vip 722 and 211k

If you want all four ports used, you'll need a DHP42 switch, and replace the Hybrid LNBF on 119/110 with a DP/DPP version. Run ports 1 and 2 from each of the two dishes to the four inputs on the DPH42. This is because your 119/110/129 LNBF has only one input, and its third "port" is always going to be empty since 129 is no more. But a DPH42 will combine whatever four things you give it.

I'm fairly sure that would work, though not sure whether it provides redundancy or not, same channel coming from two ports, it's just going to ignore one of them.

Last time I ran competing satellites on my Hopper (110/119/129/61.5 several years back) it confused the tar out of the Hopper and my PTAT refused to record properly, seeming not to know which satellite was primary it would record from one one time and the other the next time, sometimes nothing at all.

Last time I ran competing satellites on my Hopper (110/119/129/61.5 several years back) it confused the tar out of the Hopper and my PTAT refused to record properly, seeming not to know which satellite was primary it would record from one one time and the other the next time, sometimes nothing at all.
So it appears that the maximum number of satellites for any Dish installation today would be three, with the third being 118, and it's best to pick either eastern or western arc; trying to add more is just asking for trouble.

While the two dishes on a pole looks really nice, I would suggest use (per receiver) one or the other and not both - but rest easy in the knowledge that you can easily switch over to the backup if needed.

Questions from a friend

Should I go to Direct?