Need Advice Re: Remote for 3rd TV

woodman2000

Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Congress, Az
I tried to search the archives for the answer but still not sure of the answer and decided I would post my specific question before I buy another remote.

Right now I use TV1 and TV2 remotes the traditional way. I want add another remote TV and have it controlled by the TV1 Tuner. I want TV2 to remain independent as is. So I want TV one tuner controlled by both a UHF and IR remote and TV2 by the UHF.

Can I just buy a TV2 remote on eBay? And what splitter do I need to hook up the third TV? Sorry if this has been answered. I sure appreciate your help.

How to set up Remote for New TV

I have a Dish 625 receiver with Dish Pro Plus. Currently our main TV is controlled by TV1 tuner and Remote 1, Our our remote TV is on TV2 tuner using Remote 2. I believe this is the normal set up.

I want to add a third TV, in a remote location. I want it to go through the TV1 tuner and will have to use a UHF remote. I want to keep TV2 as is. Can I do that and get another TV2 remote on eBay and control tuner one with it while maintaining the normal IR remote to also control TV1? Also what splitter would I require and how would I set it up? Note it is not an HD system.

Thanks much for your help. I tried to post this question earlier but it did not seem to go through.

Yeah, you can pick up a 2nd remote from ebay and control TV1 with it via UHF depending on what receiver you have. :confused: If it's a HD receiver you can hook up the TV adjacent to the receiver via component video & audio cables and run a HDMI to the 3rd TV OR pick up a powered HDMI splitter and connect the 1st & 3rd TV with HDMI. This is if the 3rd TV has HDMI. Really need to know what receiver you have. Use monoprice.com for cables/splitter.

Ed

I responded to your post in the TECH area.

Last edited:
I tried to answer your post in the main forum not knowing what receiver you had. I answered thinking it was a HD receiver which it's not. Sorry, I'm ignorant as to whether the 625 has a coax output for TV1.:confused: If it does you can just use a normal splitter & run a line to the 3rd TV. Get a 21.0 remote from ebay and follow the instructions that come with it to control TV1 via UHF/IR. Hope this helps!

Ed

Sorry but I'm WRONG. Guess I'm too used to VIP receivers! You don't have any OUTPUTS for TV1 do you? What you called a splitter behind the receiver is actually a separator and I'm sure you can't split any signal from the dish BEFORE the receiver so unless you have a output for TV1, which now I realize you probably don't I don't think you can do what you want.

Last edited:
Ed Thanks for the reply. I really screwed this us as I did not see my post and reposted (rewording my post some). Regardless, I have a 625 and don't have HD. I use standard Coax from the DishProPlus Dish to the splitter behind the DVR. Then standard coax to the second TV from the Tuner 2 output. Again I wnat to keep the 2nd TV and Tuner 2 alone. I want the 1st and 3rd TV to be connected to Tuner 1 with the IR and UHF remotes respectively. I am sure it is not as complicated as I make it sound ;-). Also what splitter and how do I hook it up with that configuration?

I have a Dish 625 receiver with Dish Pro Plus. Currently our main TV is controlled by TV1 tuner and Remote 1, Our our remote TV is on TV2 tuner using Remote 2. I believe this is the normal set up.

I want to add a third TV, in a remote location. I want it to go through the TV1 tuner and will have to use a UHF remote. I want to keep TV2 as is. Can I do that and get another TV2 remote on eBay and control tuner one with it while maintaining the normal IR remote to also control TV1? Also what splitter would I require and how would I set it up? Note it is not an HD system.

Thanks much for your help. I tried to post this question earlier but it did not seem to go through.

It sounds like you're trying to mirror a TV. On the back of your 625 receiver in the TV1 box there is a Coax connection ch 3-4 and a RCA connection. Using RCA for your TV1, you can hookup a coax cable to the spot and run it to where the other TV is. You shouldn't need a splitter for the TV1 mirror.

What will happen though, is the TV1 remote and the (TV3) remote will both need to be 6.0 to have the UHF capability. Keep in mind both TV's will be on the same channel at all times if you run another connection from the TV1 spot.

It sounds like you're trying to mirror a TV. On the back of your 625 receiver in the TV1 box there is a Coax connection ch 3-4 and a RCA connection. Using RCA for your TV1, you can hookup a coax cable to the spot and run it to where the other TV is. You shouldn't need a splitter for the TV1 mirror.

What will happen though, is the TV1 remote and the (TV3) remote will both need to be 6.0 to have the UHF capability. Keep in mind both TV's will be on the same channel at all times if you run another connection from the TV1 spot.

To add a little more flexibility you can use a SC-3 or SC-4(signal combiner Cn3 or 4). Put TV2 on the uhf input and ch3 on the ch3 input in the center is the combined output split this to your additional TVs and you will have access to both tuners on connected TVs. Using a SC3 and Ch60 for TV2 you simply tune to ch60 on any TV to watch TV2 or ch3 to watch TV1, twice the capabilities on any TV for about a $15 investment.

I am getting some very helpful advice. However I just took my wifes TV2 remote into my workshop (which is where I want the 3rd TV and it is in a cargo trailer parked next to our garage where the DVR is located) and hers would not work the DVR for her TV from that location. So perhaps I need a extender? What is recommended?

boba - I didn't quite understand the set up you suggested. But I am not sure it would work for what I want to do i.e. keep TV2 on the TV2 tuner and control TV1 and TV3 from the TV1 tuner. Would I still need the 6.0 Remote to work TV1 and then a extender to improve the signal from remote to DVR? Wow, I am getting in over my head!

I am getting some very helpful advice. However I just took my wifes TV2 remote into my workshop (which is where I want the 3rd TV and it is in a cargo trailer parked next to our garage where the DVR is located) and hers would not work the DVR for her TV from that location. So perhaps I need a extender? What is recommended?

boba - I didn't quite understand the set up you suggested. But I am not sure it would work for what I want to do i.e. keep TV2 on the TV2 tuner and control TV1 and TV3 from the TV1 tuner. Would I still need the 6.0 Remote to work TV1 and then a extender to improve the signal from remote to DVR? Wow, I am getting in over my head!
If your using a cargo trailer as a workshop you would probably be better off using an IR extender instead of a RF signal. The metal walls of the cargo trailer will ruin the RF transmission. I don't know what is hard to understand if you tune to ch3 on any TV set you are watching TV1 if you tune the TV to ch60 you are watching TV2's tuner, the channel you select on the TV governs which satellite tuner provides the picture.

Complaints - Dish Remote Access (w/Sling) - Web page display

Logging on to Vip722 Locally

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)