NBC May Cut 33% of Primetime Programming to Save Money

vcr1980

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 4, 2018
With viewership and revenues continuing to fall, NBC is looking to cut the number of hours it programs for primetime television.

Under the plan being discussed, NBC would halt its primetime programing at 10 p.m. eastern (9 p.m. central) and hand that following hour each evening over to affiliates to air whatever programing they want, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The big three networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) have seen a massive loss of viewers over the last decade, as streaming has shifted audience habits away from appointment television viewing.

According to Spoiler TV, since 2011 the networks have lost an average of just over 80 percent of their audiences. From 2011 to this most recent quarter in 2022, ABC has lost 81.53 percent of its viewers, CBS has shed 81.32 percent, and NBC has lost 73.74 percent. As to Fox and the CW, they have lost 70.49 and 86.96 percent respectively.

Reactions: c-spand
Remember the Jay Leno fiasco? For those who do not, NBC tossed up the unfunny Mr. Leno at 10 PM, every weeknight, Knowing that his ratings would be ultra-low but that it would save money over making a legitimate effort.

What NBC had not figured on was that affiliates matter, and the late local news matters to affiliates. It is a huge revenue generator. Within a few months the affiliates were in revolt. Five decade or longer affiliates were talking about leaving NBC, or at least about replacing Leno with something watchable.

So in this deal, NBC affiliates would have two options. Either run the late news at 10 (9 C) and then the Tonight Show at 10 35. This doesn’t work for affiliates because it takes their news out of pattern vis ABC and CBS, which are their peers, and puts them in competition with established 10 (9C) news shows on Fox or CW, in many markets produced by them (In my market the 10 CW news is done by NBC, the Fox by ABC, which which such “shared services” deals are common in all but the largest markets). Or tossing up something else at 10 to keep the news on-pattern. What? Jeopardy? Some rerun? It, like Leno, serves as a bad lead in.

Neither works for the affiliates.

NBC faces trading places with CW as the network with the worst station in the market.

First thought when I saw this story a couple days ago: Ummm, what about the affiliates?

Maybe this will motivate NBC to finally put The Blacklist to bed.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
First thought when I saw this story a couple days ago: Ummm, what about the affiliates?

Maybe this will motivate NBC to finally put The Blacklist to bed.
I do not think NBC pays Sony a lot for the Blacklist, because it gets $2 million a episode from Netflix.

It is also in syndication around the world.

EXCLUSIVE: In what is believed to be the biggest subscription video-on-demand deal for a TV series, I’ve learned that Netflix has acquired the rights to hit NBC drama The Blacklist from Sony Pictures TV in a deal that will net $2 million per episode. I hear Season 1 of the series starring James Spader will debut on the streaming service next weekend. As for future seasons, Netflix usually makes them available shortly after the season finales.

With viewership and revenues continuing to fall, NBC is looking to cut the number of hours it programs for primetime television.
NBC's problem is that they've long been in denial about the absence of compelling content their prime time offering. They think they can base the same shows in different cities and fool the viewers into thinking it is something new. This was further driven home by the recent reboot of L&O.

It's really not that hard, if they got rid of the stupid meme/game/reality show fillers/copouts.

• I can see your voice
  • The Voice
  • Dancing with the Stars
  • Ninga Warrior
  • Bachelor
  • Bachelor
  • Weakest Link
  • Americas Got Talent
  • Wheel of Fortune
And those were just off the top of my head. Take that crap out and concentrate on real scripted programming with real actors and even two hours of quality TV still nails it!

It's really not that hard, if they got rid of the stupid meme/game/reality show fillers/copouts.

• I can see your voice
  • The Voice
  • Dancing with the Stars
  • Ninga Warrior
  • Bachelor
  • Bachelor
  • Weakest Link
  • Americas Got Talent
  • Wheel of Fortune
And those were just off the top of my head. Take that crap out and concentrate on real scripted programming with real actors and even two hours of quality TV still nails it!
They'll never drop The Voice.

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm370
They'll never drop The Voice.
and I will never watch it either.

By the way, since Broadcasters ( Cable Channels also) are putting the newer/better content on their streaming services, I expect reality programming will get worse and more plentiful on Live TV since it is cheap to produce.

It doesn't help that they cancel shows without a proper ending and let loyal viewers down that have stuck with it - once burned, twice shy. Probably all networks are guilty of this though.

and I will never watch it either.

By the way, since Broadcasters ( Cable Channels also) are putting the newer/better content on their streaming services, I expect reality programming will get worse and more plentiful on Live TV since it is cheap to produce.
I havr always wondered who that one viewer of "day of our lives "was... that might be new episodes but it certainly isn't better..it fits in with their second class sports collection and week old reruns...streaming is for stuff too risky to put on broadcast tv...not enough viewers to be popular

I havr always wondered who that one viewer of "day of our lives "was...
Not me.
that might be new episodes but it certainly isn't better..it fits in with their second class sports collection
NFL, MLB, PGA, IndyCar, College Football are not second class Sports, all on Peacock along with even more.
and week old reruns...
The majority of programing on Traditional Channels, Broadcast and Cable, are on Streaming services either before/same day/day after, nothing is a week later.
streaming is for stuff too risky to put on broadcast tv...not enough viewers to be popular
Yet they are getting millions of viewers while Broadcast/Cable Channels are getting worse and worse, ratings drop every year and this Fall TV season looks horrible.

Many of the networks are playing same dramas in prime time fire fighting ,911,hospital emergency ,csi, law and or, fbi declassified. There is enough drama outside my front door why would i want to watch more.

Reactions: osu1991 and FTA4PA
The idea that the sports that are on streaming are not second class is borne of the same mentality that Kroger brand spam flavored meat byproduct substitute is good enough, because you can save four cents a can.

Peacock sports currently consists of simulcasts of what is on NBC, AKA paying twice for the same thing, and a few odd ball things like Sunday MORNING baseball. Along with what are clearly second rate, or third or fourth rate deals like Indy Car, which gets an OTA rating for not the Indy 500 race well below 1.

The important thing to remember is that the next cent Peacock makes with be Cent One. It is easy for NBC to toss up with is already paid for by NBC viewer on Peacock. Much different discussion when they need Peacock subscriptions to pay the freight. How many people are going to subscribe to it to get these obscure sports.

The idea that the sports that are on streaming are not second class is borne of the same mentality that Kroger brand spam flavored meat byproduct substitute is good enough, because you can save four cents a can.

Peacock sports currently consists of simulcasts of what is on NBC, AKA paying twice for the same thing, and a few odd ball things like Sunday MORNING baseball. Along with what are clearly second rate, or third or fourth rate deals like Indy Car, which gets an OTA rating for not the Indy 500 race well below 1.

The important thing to remember is that the next cent Peacock makes with be Cent One. It is easy for NBC to toss up with is already paid for by NBC viewer on Peacock. Much different discussion when they need Peacock subscriptions to pay the freight. How many people are going to subscribe to it to get these obscure sports.
NBC sports has no clue. 2 weeks in a row they started live PGA on Peacock then switched to NBC network and when the round went over time allotted they switched back to Peacock. I had my dvr on NBC and missed the end of round 4 times because no one has a brain there.

Not me.

NFL, MLB, PGA, IndyCar, College Football are not second class Sports, all on Peacock along with even more.

The majority of programing on Traditional Channels, Broadcast and Cable, are on Streaming services either before/same day/day after, nothing is a week later.

Yet they are getting millions of viewers while Broadcast/Cable Channels are getting worse and worse, ratings drop every year and this Fall TV season looks horrible.
Those are all on OTA

Peacock sports currently consists of simulcasts of what is on NBC, AKA paying twice for the same thing, and a few odd ball things like Sunday MORNING baseball.
You are missing the point of what that means, that you do not need to pay for both any longer, the majority of programing on Traditional TV is on Streaming Services, so now you can drop Live TV, get the same programing and all the exclusives also for a less expensive price.

Now that sports are moving towards streaming at a fast pace, give it 3 years before everything is on streaming services.

Also in better quality, at least 1080P Picture and Dolby Digital+ sound.

And yes, prices will go up as time goes on, it is like Traditional Providers ever had a price freeze any year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)