My recent receiver upgrade from a 222k to a 922 + a complimentary 211k

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
I posted a few weeks back about getting a 922 and I was skeptical since I was told the sling feature required 3mbps of upload speed. my cable isp has a 40gb download limit but they told me the upload is unlimited so I went on with getting the receiver anyways(300-400kbps upload speed with 5 ms ping).

The good
-amazing interface
-easy to use DVR functions
-EHD for extra storage(works fine with my 1.5tb wd drive after turning the wdware thing off on the computer)
-UHF remote has an amazing range
-Solid(for now, had to reset it once since the second remote did not want to connect to the receiver when programing it for the first time)
-the sling feature is watchable with my slow home upload speeds(went to vegas the other day and I didn't have a problem watching my stuff on the laptop)
-the installer gave me a free sling ethernet powerine adapter(I ran a 100ft ethernet cable from my router to my receiver $15bucks at sam's club)
-PlayON is a big plus since I can catch up on shows I couldn't record(DLNA support)
-Installer gave me a free OTA module he had laying around in his truck,used but can't complain :D
-The search function is great, wish I could somehow get a keyboard for it
Cons
-installer arrived with only 1 remote, had to wait 9 hours after he left to have it delivered to my neighbor.
-sometimes when I connect remotely or I don't know why my timers get cancelled(shows either don't record fully or nothing at all) a warning message would be nice if this is the case.
-Sling extender is overdue, would be great to have TV2 in HD :(
I didn't know much about the 922 since I didn't research on it very well before buying it.

I thought I could have 2 users at home + 1 extra remote viewer, turns out I was wrong( on my part since its not dish's fault) then dish called for their quality survey over the phone and I told them about this and they told me not to worry, they would be sending out a tech with a complimentary 211k this Wednesday if I would agree to a $15 tech visit.

so I am very happy with dish I give them a 10 on customer service since they were always checking up on me to see if everything was OK.
On the other hand the 922 gets an 8/10 for now due to the recording issue(see cons).

Last edited:
(works fine with my 1.5tb wd drive after turning the wdware thing off on the computer)

Tell me more about the wdware thing. My 922 keeps losing it's connection to a 1tb wd. The "my 922" tab in the dvr just completely disappears when the problem is occuring. A soft or sometimes a hard re-boot is needed to get it back but then it happens again after 4-5 days.

I have read about some Seagate EHD's having a sleep mode that needs to be turned off, is this anything like that?

Its with the $7 a month charge, rep said it will be free for 3 months before the fee is on my bill.

as for the wdware, I don't remember well since I disabled it long ago but it had to do something with downloading the lastest firmware for your hard drive from their website.(being 100% honest I google'd it)

When I plugged the drive in directly the receiver would get stuck at formatting it, but once I found out about the wd ware thing and fixed it on my pc it formatted and transferred everything from my dvr to the ehd without problems.

Epix to show live boxing in May!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)