beaverdown

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2005
London, ON
This post is long. So I'll sum up my info first:

Dish: 75cm
LNB: 0.6DB Universal
Receiver: Viacast Vistar 2000 Quantum MSR (by Visionetics...must have been a sale on letters!!)
Latitude: 43N
Longitude: 81W
Satellite: Galaxy 10R (g10r)
Signal Quality: TP 12114: 100
TP 11720: 50
Elevation: 35 (Contrary to all sat calcs on the net which said 25)
Setup Equip: satellite finder (works with the universal lnb), compass, ladder
Conclusions:
1. Make sure the LNB is in the cradle as far from the dish as possible...makes a signal quality difference of about 40% (it did for me, at least);
2. Use the satellite meter in conjuction with your receiver to get a lock on a quality signal;
3. Plus, keep trying...you'll find it eventually.

I first became aware of the FTA opportunities out there in May of 2004. I'd been a Bell customer for about 2 years, and felt wedged between two criminal extremes: pay one criminal (Bell) to receive signals that are available via a rabbit ear antenna, or pay (and become) another criminal to hack into the Bell system. As luck would have it, I discovered Lyngsat and FTA, and bought a 76cm dish, Universal 0.6dB LNB, and a Viacast receiver (from middletowneng on eb*y...I know, I know...its a four-letter-word) in August of 2004. It seemed like a perfect solution...free and legal. What could be better?

I couldn't get started, though, because we moved houses. I decided at my new place that I wanted to mount the new dish to a wooden deck, because it being a larger dish, I felt if it was mounted to bricks, the bricks might get pulled off the house in a storm....(hey...you never know!!). Anyhow, since it was a brand new house, it took some time before we could build our new deck ( a year actually)...so the criminals at Bell got another $400+ out of me from Aug 2004-Aug 2005. Given that there was no hockey season, its even more criminal.

Finally, I mounted the dish just where I wanted it - it really blends in - but I could not get a lock on G10r no matter what. I live way up in the icy Canadian tundra of London, Ontario (43N, 81W), and I started to think I was not going to be able to get a FTA signal. I bought a satellite meter, and could tell there was something out there, but the Vistar is really not a good receiver for newbies, since you program it and then it tells you if you have a good dish alignment...instead of pointing the dish and having the receiver do the thinking.

So I was close to giving up. But I'd like to think I have a ton of heart, and couldn't bear the idea of giving up. Also, I'm very cheap. Given that over $100 had been invested in this FTA gear, it was pretty much guaranteed I'd get the job done eventually.

As luck would have it, I did a google search to find out if any other brave souls had tried using the Vistar for FTA. And I stumbled upon this site, and specifically Iceberg's tutorial. Then I was inspired: here was a blueprint for success, and from someone who actually lives further north than me! Plus, there was that picture of Iceberg...whenever I was ready to feel sorry for myself, or try to convince myself that my equipment was faulty, I'd look at that picture, which if it had a caption would read: the reason you can't get a signal is because you're an idiot. And I'd think: damn...Iceberg's right...I gotta try harder.

So I learned the basics about the vistar, how you have to program it first, how you have to add three 0's to the end of the transponder frequency, how you have to set the LNB LO Frequency to 10600000 for a univeral LNB, and how you have to set it to 14+22K for Vertical and 18+22K for Horizontal (again, when you have that universal LNB). So I did all that stuff, and tried again...and got nothing. I tried adding different transponder (tp) frequencies and symbol rates (sr)...no dice. I tried using the satellite meter to point the dish to a very strong signal, and always got 0 quality (on the vistar the difference between signal quality and signal stength is that signal quality matters).

Finally, with the satellite meter telling me I had a really strong signal in what I thought was G10R's area, I keyed in a tp freq and sr. But I made a mistake...I keyed in 11720000 and a sr of 26800...I don't even know where I got 26800 from...I just wrote it down by accident I think. Anyhow, next thing I know, the vistar has a quality of 30 and I later figured out it was Galaxy 13/Horizons 1 at 127.0°W (technically, the KU is on Horizons 1 (H1), which was what I was pointed at).

So I tinkered a little with H1 and got a quality of 77...which I figured was not bad. H1 has a lower EIRP (48) for London than G10R (49) so I figured I must be close. I started moving the dish in tiny steps to try to get a lock on G10R at 123.0W. After a couple of hours of 0 success, I put the satellite meter back on.

Well, I realized what a newbie I was, because I put the satellite meter on, pointed the dish back at H1, and then I could see on the TV that the signal was able to pass from the dish, through the meter and into the receiver. Previously, I had thought the meter would prevent the signal from reaching the receiver. Instead, I could use the meter, and also have the signal meter from the receiver displayed on a the TV...so I would know precisely when I had a good quality signal.

Within about 5 minutes using that arrangement, I had a quality reading on G10R, tp 12114000, sr 4444. That quality reading was about 30...but hey...it was a minor success.

Although I was tempted to just tighten all the bolts and declare victory (at last), I remembered reading other posts in this forum and in newgroups about how tp 12114 is supposed to be a blowtorch on this particular satellite. So I did some minor tinkering in the elevation and rotation of the dish. In the best case I got the quality up to 47. Then I remembered another piece of sage wisdom I read on this site (sorry, I forget the author...): when trying to get a signal, make sure to place the lnb in its cradle as far from the dish as possible. I did that, and to my utter shock I had a quality reading of 100!!! It currently dances between 97 and 100 consistently (that is in perfectly clear sky, mind you). Proper placement of that LNB is a vital piece of advice, I wish I had take more seriously. Every newbie should keep that tip in mind!!

With a rock steady lock on tp 12114, I began programming in the other tps as well. I used Iceberg's numbers: 11799 with sr of 26660 and got all of those channels. Then I used the lyngsat numbers for everything else. Although I was pretty fortuitous with tp 12114, I get average quality on the other tps...they're all between about 30 and 50. I could probably tinker more, but considering I've achieved the major goal of adding about 35-40 channels for free, I'm ultra happy. I now have legal and free access to all the US programming I'd watch via expressvu anyway, and I live within a line-of-sight of a CBC tower for NHL games this year (provided CBC ends their strike).So between my FTA dish and an antenna, me, my wife and my kids all have their favorite programming available. Everything we would have watched and paid for is completely replaced (and then some).

I am thrilled. For that, I am extremely grateful. Some people specifically to whom I am greatly indebted are:

Iceberg: you've done so much to help people like me. I really hope you are able to make money at this, because your advice is very, very valuable. Also, your photo is very, very intimidating.

ken2400 and ultratryon: you both have posted your experiences with the viacast visionetics vistar 2000 quantum msr (or whatever the dang thing is called) purchased via eb*y (middletowneng) and for sharing your experiences you made mine easier...despite the challenges I faced.

Given as how I went from never having done FTA to getting a good lock on G10R with the viacast, I couldn't have done it without a lot of help. So to all who posted their experiences, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I've included some pics of my setup. I hope they help others get into the hobby. One thing to note is the elevation of my dish. The calcs on the net all said I should set it to about 25. But you will notice its set around 35...which is a pretty big difference. Maybe that has something to do with how far above sea level you are...I dunno. Just something to keep in mind.

Attachments

• P1230021.JPG
    P1230021.JPG
    472.3 KB · Views: 210
  • P1230022.JPG
    P1230022.JPG
    442.6 KB · Views: 197
  • P1230023.JPG
    P1230023.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 182
  • P1230024.JPG
    P1230024.JPG
    708.9 KB · Views: 227
Perhaps the longest first post ever. :)

Very interesting and entertaining. One thing-I disagree about Bell Express Vu. They are not criminals-you might believe their service is not worth having but that is a different thing than being a criminal.

Welcome to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum :welcome

NICE WORK and a great read, thanks for sharing!

We REALLY are lucky to have Iceberg here :yes

WELCOME :wave
This is one of the best first posts I've seen :)

beaverdown said:
So I learned the basics about the vistar, how you have to program it first, how you have to add three 0's to the end of the transponder frequency, how you have to set the LNB LO Frequency to 10600000 for a univeral LNB, and how you have to set it to 14+22K for Vertical and 18+22K for Horizontal (again, when you have that universal LNB). So I did all that stuff, and tried again...and got nothing. I tried adding different transponder (tp) frequencies and symbol rates (sr)...no dice. I tried using the satellite meter to point the dish to a very strong signal, and always got 0 quality (on the vistar the difference between signal quality and signal stength is that signal quality matters).
took me 3 weeks to figure out about the 3 zeroes.....and sadly there wasn't anyone to help me. Thats why the "review" I did is pretty critical for newbies. Because if you dont know to add the 3 zeros you'll never get anywhere :)

Although I was tempted to just tighten all the bolts and declare victory (at last), I remembered reading other posts in this forum and in newgroups about how tp 12114 is supposed to be a blowtorch on this particular satellite. So I did some minor tinkering in the elevation and rotation of the dish. In the best case I got the quality up to 47. Then I remembered another piece of sage wisdom I read on this site (sorry, I forget the author...): when trying to get a signal, make sure to place the lnb in its cradle as far from the dish as possible. I did that, and to my utter shock I had a quality reading of 100!!! It currently dances between 97 and 100 consistently (that is in perfectly clear sky, mind you). Proper placement of that LNB is a vital piece of advice, I wish I had take more seriously. Every newbie should keep that tip in mind!!

With a rock steady lock on tp 12114, I began programming in the other tps as well. I used Iceberg's numbers: 11799 with sr of 26660 and got all of those channels. Then I used the lyngsat numbers for everything else. Although I was pretty fortuitous with tp 12114, I get average quality on the other tps...they're all between about 30 and 50. I could probably tinker more, but considering I've achieved the major goal of adding about 35-40 channels for free, I'm ultra happy.
those numbers sound about right for the Viacast. 12114 would blow the meter and 11799 was always between 50-60. Since you have a .6 LNB, that's about the best. If you got a better LNB (like a .4 or .3) those numbers will come up a little bit.

I now have legal and free access to all the US programming I'd watch via expressvu anyway, and I live within a line-of-sight of a CBC tower for NHL games this year (provided CBC ends their strike).So between my FTA dish and an antenna, me, my wife and my kids all have their favorite programming available. Everything we would have watched and paid for is completely replaced (and then some).
The CBC said they would do hockey, even with no announcers (the CFL games are pretty ncie to watch without announcers)

Iceberg: you've done so much to help people like me. I really hope you are able to make money at this, because your advice is very, very valuable. Also, your photo is very, very intimidating.
one of these days that photo needs to be changed :)

One thing to note is the elevation of my dish. The calcs on the net all said I should set it to about 25. But you will notice its set around 35...which is a pretty big difference. Maybe that has something to do with how far above sea level you are...I dunno. Just something to keep in mind.
actually its how far north you are, which is weird because for G10 my elevation is about 30 on my dishes. (and I'm at 45N 93W)

Thanks again Iceberg. I really appreciate your work here.

Based on your experience, I think one of my next moves is to go with a .3db LNB. As for the NHL, that's good news. I can live without commentators, no problem. And for the photo, I don't think you should change it. I think its great!

That's very interesting about the elevation. I guess its possible my mount is not plumb. I thought I got it spot on, but who knows?

Going back a few replies about expressvu...granted they're not criminals in the sense that there is an arrest warrant out for them, but I would classify their corporate behaviour as immoral. I've had some bad experiences with them in terms of changes to my programming, and I bought and tried to return a HD receiver once....it was a messy situation. Plus they invent "black outs" for NHL games that aren't actually blacked out for me in my area. And Lord help you if you need technical assistence. If you can get thru...they got mad at my wife because after the third call she refused to unplug the receiver. For some reason unplugging a 2700 receiver is Bell's cure-all for technical issues.

So I guess the word "criminal" is wrong...a better phrase would be "bumbling money grubbing morons".

Based on your experience, I think one of my next moves is to go with a .3db LNB. As for the NHL, that's good news. I can live without commentators, no problem.
I originally had a .6 (still do..one of the old ExpressVu LNB’s before they went to the new style) and a .4 or .3 would be better…heck a .5 helps a little better

That's very interesting about the elevation. I guess its possible my mount is not plumb. I thought I got it spot on, but who knows?
Some elevation mounts were goofed so they are off. I have a Fortec dish that is off by about 5 degrees for some odd reason.

Going back a few replies about expressvu...granted they're not criminals in the sense that there is an arrest warrant out for them, but I would classify their corporate behaviour as immoral. I've had some bad experiences with them in terms of changes to my programming, and I bought and tried to return a HD receiver once....it was a messy situation. Plus they invent "black outs" for NHL games that aren't actually blacked out for me in my area. And Lord help you if you need technical assistence. If you can get thru...they got mad at my wife because after the third call she refused to unplug the receiver. For some reason unplugging a 2700 receiver is Bell's cure-all for technical issues.

So I guess the word "criminal" is wrong...a better phrase would be "bumbling money grubbing morons".

I use to have them (mainly for HNIC) but now have StarChoice. The blackout rules are goofy (you can’t figure them out) and the “local locals” (Like Thunder Bay, Kenora, etc…the CBC & CTV not owned by the network they black out (but SC doesn’t)

Now their new pricing makes “money grubbing” a whole new meaning. Basic package was 13.95 (this was a year or so ago) and US nets were 5.95…now its $27 (!!!) for the locals & US Nets

You also forgot Bell’s lovely simsub rules where everyone gets simsubbed

beaverdown said:
ken2400 and ultratryon: you both have posted your experiences with the viacast visionetics vistar 2000 quantum msr (or whatever the dang thing is called) purchased via eb*y (middletowneng) and for sharing your experiences you made mine easier...despite the challenges I faced.

The funny thing is, I found this place the same way you did, stumbled upon Ice's review... and since then, I have read read read... My MSR is now sitting at my mothers house, ready for her MicroBUD to be aimed

I too was lost until I found this group. I wish I did some more homework before buying my first digital Ku receiver. Vistar 2000 or should I say the black western bell phone. I have noted that my local cable company uses this box or a box with the same firmware. Once in a while they lose signal on a few channels and you get the no-signal screen that is the same on the Vistar 2000.

So any ideas what you want to buy for your next receiver?

beaverdown said:
This post is long. So I'll sum up my info first:

Dish: 75cm
LNB: 0.6DB Universal
Receiver: Viacast Vistar 2000 Quantum MSR (by Visionetics...must have been a sale on letters!!)
Latitude: 43N
Longitude: 81W
Satellite: Galaxy 10R (g10r)
Signal Quality: TP 12114: 100
TP 11720: 50
Elevation: 35 (Contrary to all sat calcs on the net which said 25)
Setup Equip: satellite finder (works with the universal lnb), compass, ladder
Conclusions:
1. Make sure the LNB is in the cradle as far from the dish as possible...makes a signal quality difference of about 40% (it did for me, at least);
2. Use the satellite meter in conjuction with your receiver to get a lock on a quality signal;
3. Plus, keep trying...you'll find it eventually.

I first became aware of the FTA opportunities out there in May of 2004. I'd been a Bell customer for about 2 years, and felt wedged between two criminal extremes: pay one criminal (Bell) to receive signals that are available via a rabbit ear antenna, or pay (and become) another criminal to hack into the Bell system. As luck would have it, I discovered Lyngsat and FTA, and bought a 76cm dish, Universal 0.6dB LNB, and a Viacast receiver (from middletowneng on eb*y...I know, I know...its a four-letter-word) in August of 2004. It seemed like a perfect solution...free and legal. What could be better?

I couldn't get started, though, because we moved houses. I decided at my new place that I wanted to mount the new dish to a wooden deck, because it being a larger dish, I felt if it was mounted to bricks, the bricks might get pulled off the house in a storm....(hey...you never know!!). Anyhow, since it was a brand new house, it took some time before we could build our new deck ( a year actually)...so the criminals at Bell got another $400+ out of me from Aug 2004-Aug 2005. Given that there was no hockey season, its even more criminal.

Finally, I mounted the dish just where I wanted it - it really blends in - but I could not get a lock on G10r no matter what. I live way up in the icy Canadian tundra of London, Ontario (43N, 81W), and I started to think I was not going to be able to get a FTA signal. I bought a satellite meter, and could tell there was something out there, but the Vistar is really not a good receiver for newbies, since you program it and then it tells you if you have a good dish alignment...instead of pointing the dish and having the receiver do the thinking.

So I was close to giving up. But I'd like to think I have a ton of heart, and couldn't bear the idea of giving up. Also, I'm very cheap. Given that over $100 had been invested in this FTA gear, it was pretty much guaranteed I'd get the job done eventually.

As luck would have it, I did a google search to find out if any other brave souls had tried using the Vistar for FTA. And I stumbled upon this site, and specifically Iceberg's tutorial. Then I was inspired: here was a blueprint for success, and from someone who actually lives further north than me! Plus, there was that picture of Iceberg...whenever I was ready to feel sorry for myself, or try to convince myself that my equipment was faulty, I'd look at that picture, which if it had a caption would read: the reason you can't get a signal is because you're an idiot. And I'd think: damn...Iceberg's right...I gotta try harder.

Finally, with the satellite meter telling me I had a really strong signal in what I thought was G10R's area, I keyed in a tp freq and sr. But I made a mistake...I keyed in 11720000 and a sr of 26800...I don't even know where I got 26800 from...I just wrote it down by accident I think. Anyhow, next thing I know, the vistar has a quality of 30 and I later figured out it was Galaxy 13/Horizons 1 at 127.0°W (technically, the KU is on Horizons 1 (H1), which was what I was pointed at).

So I tinkered a little with H1 and got a quality of 77...which I figured was not bad. H1 has a lower EIRP (48) for London than G10R (49) so I figured I must be close. I started moving the dish in tiny steps to try to get a lock on G10R at 123.0W. After a couple of hours of 0 success, I put the satellite meter back on.

Well, I realized what a newbie I was, because I put the satellite meter on, pointed the dish back at H1, and then I could see on the TV that the signal was able to pass from the dish, through the meter and into the receiver. Previously, I had thought the meter would prevent the signal from reaching the receiver. Instead, I could use the meter, and also have the signal meter from the receiver displayed on a the TV...so I would know precisely when I had a good quality signal.

Within about 5 minutes using that arrangement, I had a quality reading on G10R, tp 12114000, sr 4444. That quality reading was about 30...but hey...it was a minor success.

With a rock steady lock on tp 12114, I began programming in the other tps as well. I used Iceberg's numbers: 11799 with sr of 26660 and got all of those channels. Then I used the lyngsat numbers for everything else. Although I was pretty fortuitous with tp 12114, I get average quality on the other tps...they're all between about 30 and 50. I could probably tinker more, but considering I've achieved the major goal of adding about 35-40 channels for free, I'm ultra happy. I now have legal and free access to all the US programming I'd watch via expressvu anyway, and I live within a line-of-sight of a CBC tower for NHL games this year (provided CBC ends their strike).So between my FTA dish and an antenna, me, my wife and my kids all have their favorite programming available. Everything we would have watched and paid for is completely replaced (and then some).

I am thrilled. For that, I am extremely grateful. Some people specifically to whom I am greatly indebted are:

Given as how I went from never having done FTA to getting a good lock on G10R with the viacast, I couldn't have done it without a lot of help. So to all who posted their experiences, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I've included some pics of my setup. I hope they help others get into the hobby. One thing to note is the elevation of my dish. The calcs on the net all said I should set it to about 25. But you will notice its set around 35...which is a pretty big difference. Maybe that has something to do with how far above sea level you are...I dunno. Just something to keep in mind.

Let me guess, youve seen that "no signal" on a turner owned channel, like TBS?

The Turner channels are delivered via the new PowerVu recievers (I cant think of the model off the top of my head), which have that same "no signal" text in about the same spot.

Since most channels provide the reciever to the MSO at no cost (other than the subscription fees), I find it unlikely that its actually a Viacast reciever.

ken2400 said:
I wish I did some more homework before buying my first digital Ku receiver. Vistar 2000 or should I say the black western bell phone.

Viacast was the first receiver I bought....used it for 3 months :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Is it possible????

ref more then 4 dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts