Status
Please reply by conversation.

sbacchus

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 1, 2005
Athens GA
my dish currently spends a lot of time on IA5 looking at the international programming there. i read a few months ago that globecast was going to convert their system to mpeg4 this summer, but i haven't been able to find any definitive news about this recently. does anybody know what this is going to mean for the FTA programming currently on IA5? is there even an mpeg4 FTA receiver available out there? or are they only going to convert the paid channels to mpeg4?

I don't know the answer but I have been wondering the same thing about FTA in general-if there will be an upgrade to MPEG-4 and what the timetable might be. Just guessing, but it could be that it will be a slow process similar to KU analog-still some of that around.

they will change the paid stuff (Globecast) to Nagra2, but I highly doubt they will go to MPEG4

Searching the forum for 'mpeg4' turned up this thread. I, too, am interested in how mpeg4 is shaping up for FTA. As some know, I am a newbie doing all my research before I jump into the financial commitment that goes with the hobby. Frankly, if mpeg4 is coming down the pike in the near future, I will probably wait on purchasing an FTA receiver until models with this capability are readily available.

This is particularly relevent for me because I have built a pretty decent home theater that lacks only HDTV content (I got all the other goods!). Despite cutting back my Dish subscription, I'm still anxiously looking forward to HDTV (there's nothing OTA in my location). In my research I discovered that while Dish has a nice HDTV PVR available, it is not upgradeable to mpeg4. Dish has indicated they will not add new HDTV programming until the switch to mpeg4. Anyway, the Dish converstion clearly belongs in another forum. I only mention it to illustrate my outlook on purchasing FTA equipment with the (potential) advent of mpeg4.

Are there any "facts" or early indications on this topic? Have the receiver manufacturers gone on the record with product announcements? I've looked, but haven't found too much - seems HDTV and MPEG4 are pretty popular search terms :) and I haven't had much luck.

Cheers,
Red

I for one would not be too worried about MPEG 2 becoming outdated. After all they are still using analog for many sports and other feeds. It looks like Globecast is going to MPEG 4 but they are a pay service so it's not that relevant to FTA.

Probably of greater concern to the FTA community right now is 4:2:2 and HD support. There are many feeds turning up right now that are 4:2:2 and some HD. So receivers that support these formats are going to be needed. Of course, you can get them with a PC card, but then you can only watch on PC or run a line to your TV or have a Home Theatre PC. I believe (and hope) that after prices fall with the coming of Nagra 2 you will see Mfgs. looking to incorporate more features into FTA units in order to justify higher prices and thus more profit.

But back to your original point, technology is always changing and you can always wait for the next big thing. Now is a good time to get into FTA with prices for quality equipment at a very reasonable level.

actually if you look at international programming (especially on T5) globecast is *very* relevant, and lots of their offerings are free.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AMC9 Question

Setting up a polar mount (axis vs elevation etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)