MPEG4 ... Where's The Beef?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They won't be removing the MPEG2 NY & LA channels for a while - even after NY & LA are added to MPEG4 later this month they'll still need them for DNS - and they have no intention of forcing a mass-upgrade of all HD DNS customers anytime soon.

CPanther95 said:
they'll still need them for DNS
And don't forget O&O's. There are a lot of smaller markets that happen to have O&O's, mainly FOX, and D* would face a backlash to remove the O&O's ability to get HD networks.

My guess is that the -2 versions of networks will be around until at least all the O&O's are lit.

And dont forget that until the MPEG 4 capable HD DVR or HMC is available most of us with HD TIVOs will only give up our equipment from our "cold dead hands". The vast majority of HD TIVO owners will not give up the ability to record just to switch to MPEG4. They cant turn off the MPEG2 NY feeds until recording is an option.

Lots of good points above, I too agree that there is (or at least should be) bandwidth available. Perhaps HD customers, subscribing to the HD Pack and / or sport & movie packages should be offered the upgrades first from here on out.

I admit, that is not practical but just removing all HD from 101 110 & 119, then the BS shopping channels would free enough to enhance PQ. Plus, once markets are shifted to MPEG4 ... force the upgrades and remove the SD LIL from 101 110 & 119.

Either way i must admit it took Comcrap 4 years to bring HD to my market after it was available in Denver.

Gen Custer said:
And dont forget that until the MPEG 4 capable HD DVR or HMC is available most of us with HD TIVOs will only give up our equipment from our "cold dead hands". The vast majority of HD TIVO owners will not give up the ability to record just to switch to MPEG4. They cant turn off the MPEG2 NY feeds until recording is an option.
I beg to differ. I informed my wife last night that the HR10-250 sitting in our living room will be going on eBay come mid February. I like my Tivo, but I LOVE the Moto 6412 with the Ucentric software. If this is like everything else it will bite me in the ass down the road LOL. My plan is to switch to cable until satellite has an HD lineup, that I like, in my market. This will all stop if any season pass functions or missed recordings occur on the Moto-box.

As far as me, I am done with D* at the conclusion of football season. I plan to make a hit list of why and see what retention will do for me ... but I think I am at "my limit" with them. Too bad I'll be pissing away the rest of my Center Ice subscription. Maybe I'll suspend ... I am open to ideas! I would be back to D* anyway, but not until the roll out was good for the Denver DMA and there were SUBSTANTIAL HD additions in MPEG4.

I'm definitely considering, strongly, suspending my account, and removing 3 of the 4 receivers I have from it. I can then get digital cable, which has MORE HD, since Football will be over. I can unsuspend in August, pay the 41.99 per month (I can remove locals) to watch Football basically making my NFL Sunday Ticket package cost 199.00 + 49.99 (I have a 49.99 credit coming) + 41.99 * 4 or about 425 or so.

It's a thought anyway, but right now, I'm not getting value from DirecTV

Well the decision is final and rests within the labia of another resident. :D The wife will not go without the TiVo unit. There are minor bugs with the DTC 6812, that would not fly. Annoying as they are the unit is still far better than the R15 unit by D*, I actually sent mine back to Robert. Now I am worried about what kind of HD DVR D* will actually produce and still unhappy with the lack of "pop" with D* HD.

I say this ... two new KA/KU birds up there. Why not simulcast the HD channels in MPEG4 for those that have the equipment?!?!? Far before the remaining markets are converted there is plenty of space to host this and by the time it matters D10 & 11 will be in orbit!!!.

I still contend, where is the beef!

slacker9876 said:
I admit, that is not practical but just removing all HD from 101 110 & 119, then the BS shopping channels would free enough to enhance PQ.

The shopping channels will never go away. They pay D* to be carried.

slacker9876 said:
Well the decision is final and rests within the labia of another resident. :D The wife will not go without the TiVo unit. There are minor bugs with the DTC 6812, that would not fly. Annoying as they are the unit is still far better than the R15 unit by D*, I actually sent mine back to Robert. Now I am worried about what kind of HD DVR D* will actually produce and still unhappy with the lack of "pop" with D* HD.

I say this ... two new KA/KU birds up there. Why not simulcast the HD channels in MPEG4 for those that have the equipment?!?!? Far before the remaining markets are converted there is plenty of space to host this and by the time it matters D10 & 11 will be in orbit!!!.

I still contend, where is the beef!

In case you havent noticed by observing and experiencing D* service over the last few years, D* is not interested in improving your viewing experience. They have spent this money to bring in large amounts of new subs and that is what they will focus on. New subs and 2 year contracts. Any bones they may throw us will come after they have achieved this.

vurbano said:
In case you havent noticed by observing and experiencing D* service over the last few years, D* is not interested in improving your viewing experience. They have spent this money to bring in large amounts of new subs and that is what they will focus on.
Your comments got me thinking - I checked the Dish and Direct web sites, and according to their press releases, Dish added about 3 million NET new subscribers the past 3 years and Direct added 4 million NET new customers - that would be NET after defections. These 2 sat companies must have something good to offer, otherwise its tough to understand 30-35% growth in 3 years. I had Dish 2 years ago, and didn't especially care for the unreliability of their equipment or their slow move for new services, so when my renewal came up, I tried a promo deal with Comcast for 3 months - big mistake - they clearly have no interest in customer service. Left them in a heartbeat. About 2 weeks ago, I took the Direct HDTV promo, and have been happy with their customer service (so far), installation, HD viewing, and equipment. Given the choices out there right now, I think the sat companies must be doing something right to gain all those new customers.

Satmeister said:
Your comments got me thinking - I checked the Dish and Direct web sites, and according to their press releases, Dish added about 3 million NET new subscribers the past 3 years and Direct added 4 million NET new customers - that would be NET after defections. These 2 sat companies must have something good to offer, otherwise its tough to understand 30-35% growth in 3 years. I had Dish 2 years ago, and didn't especially care for the unreliability of their equipment or their slow move for new services, so when my renewal came up, I tried a promo deal with Comcast for 3 months - big mistake - they clearly have no interest in customer service. Left them in a heartbeat. About 2 weeks ago, I took the Direct HDTV promo, and have been happy with their customer service (so far), installation, HD viewing, and equipment. Given the choices out there right now, I think the sat companies must be doing something right to gain all those new customers.

Well for D* it is ST and the promise of HDLIL. That is the bait. With E* I think its HD PQ and price.

vurbano said:
With E* I think its HD PQ and price.
If that's the case, they will be in a world of hurt in 2006-2007 with their latest price increase and lack of HD bandwidth growth resources.

E*'s done a good job allocating bandwidth with their "limited resources". After announcing the rollout of HD LILs to keep up with D*, I'm convinced Charlie is the MacGyver of MSOs.

Satmeister said:
These 2 sat companies must have something good to offer, otherwise its tough to understand 30-35% growth in 3 years. ...... I think the sat companies must be doing something right to gain all those new customers.
They are competing against cable companies. You don't really need to be that good to top the MSO's. Especially with the growth of DSL, customers can cut the cable and never look back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

R15 - “ADVANCE” remote button problem.

HDNet tonight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)