MeTV down?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
Is it just me or did MeTV on 87 go off at 9pm? I was bopping around other channels waiting for SvenGhoolie to come on. Saw the Odd Couple was on, jumped over to RTV for a look, hit History and a few others to kill time. 9PM came along and I went back to MeTV. Nothing. Zero signal.

I powered down the pc just to be sure. Moved the dish back and forth. Nothing.. ThisTV is coming in just fine as is NASA. :(

89Q here but also with a 10' reflector, and azbox.
C-band dish has been parked at AMC-3 for a few days with the shuttle/space station activities. Going to miss those shuttle launches..
-C.

:cry:

I guess I'll just call it a night early. The yard is flooded, mosquitoes are horrific so there is no way I'm messing with anything tonight.
I just don't understand how it can be working fine one minute then the next, nothing at all.

Maybe it will be back on tomorrow. I really need to get that dish set up properly. :(

edit: OMG. I had written it off and was going to bed and just for the heck of it I hit the channel one last time. BOOM! Back like nothing ever happened!
What the heck?? Kinda mad that I missed SvenGhoolie........ :mad:

Something must be going on as a few days ago I posted a simular situation where it just cut out. No picture breakup, just cut out.
Too bad you missed Svengoolie, it was a great episode with The Invisible Man.

Something must be going on as a few days ago I posted a simular situation where it just cut out. No picture breakup, just cut out.

Yeah, I wanted to see that. I like Vincent Price. Oh well, hopefully it will re-run some day. If it had been on RTV a re-run would be a 100% sure thing.

You know, that is weird because for instance, the other day we had some really hard core rain, big storms dumped a LOT of water. ALL of the ku satellites were completely dead, zero signal on every single one of them. Nada. But on C band, 87 was coming in like a champ. MeTV, ThisTV, everything. It never skipped a beat.

I just can't figure out why, in the middle of the night with a clear sky, no rain, no storms, (I checked weather radar) that JUST MeTV would quit working for 2-3 hours.
One second it's perfect, the next, it's totally gone, zero signal. ThisTV was coming in just fine, nary a single glitch. I moved the dish back and forth because sometimes about 8:40am it gets real flaky for 15-20 minutes and if I bump the dish a little it helps a lot. Last night, ~nothing~....

Makes no sense to me at all.. :confused:

The problem I posted about it suddenly cutting out turned out to be a polarizer problem.

I wondered about that myself but I checked and other channels that are also on the same polarity continued to come in loud and clear. :confused:

Oh here we go again........ MeTV was working fine all through 5" of heavy downpour earlier and now it's completely gone. :(
ThisTV is coming in just fine.

I have seen you guys say stuff about the ground reflecting noise into the lnb. Ok, I think I kinda know what you are talking about.

Let me pose this loony question then. Right now my yard is literally a lake. It's flooded and 6" or more deep in a lot of places. Underneath the dishes is 100% flooded.
The dish is mesh. Could there be "noise" (whatever that might be composed of) being reflected by the water into the lnb through the mesh of the dish?

Could my yard being flooded have anything to do with this?

I've moved the dish back and forth because sometimes that helps. ThisTV is coming in just fine and I'm even picking up the RTV S2 channels.
I've also lost (I don't know if I can mention it but it's wx related) ..

I thought S2 channels are the hardest ones to get in. Why is MeTV so troublesome? This is making me bonkers! :confused:

:cry:

I guess I'll just call it a night early. The yard is flooded, mosquitoes are horrific so there is no way I'm messing with anything tonight.
I just don't understand how it can be working fine one minute then the next, nothing at all.

What! Yard flooded! Mosquitoes! I thought Texas was so dry thay had to cover the entire state with tarps to keep the dust down!:D

Happy to read you got your story back. . . . :)

RT.

What! Yard flooded! Mosquitoes! I thought Texas was so dry thay had to cover the entire state with tarps to keep the dust down!:D

Happy to read you got your story back. . . . :)

RT.

So much for the drought, at least here.

Attachments

• CRW_4478.jpg
    CRW_4478.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 152
  • CRW_4468.jpg
    CRW_4468.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 181
I noticed I was having the same problem. THIS was ok and ME would be gone most of the time. I dumped the 741 LNB I was using and installed a GeoSat pro. That brought ME back, but not great. I often wondered about the scalar rings that come with these LNBs. The GeoSat Pro had one half as thick as the DMX741, and that one is not near as hefty as an old Chaparall scalar. So just for something to try, I installed one of those hefty old scalars. WOW!! what a pickup in signal. Everything is way stronger and ME comes in the same signal quality as THIS. In fact there was improvement all across the arc Now I wonder if I had inadvertantly corrected some other misalignment with the setup. But leave well enough alone and enjoy I guess. BTW this is on a WSI 6' Special( I think this one is the standard model they sell now)

I noticed I was having the same problem. THIS was ok and ME would be gone most of the time. I dumped the 741 LNB I was using and installed a GeoSat pro. That brought ME back, but not great. I often wondered about the scalar rings that come with these LNBs. The GeoSat Pro had one half as thick as the DMX741, and that one is not near as hefty as an old Chaparall scalar. So just for something to try, I installed one of those hefty old scalars. WOW!! what a pickup in signal. Everything is way stronger and ME comes in the same signal quality as THIS. In fact there was improvement all across the arc Now I wonder if I had inadvertantly corrected some other misalignment with the setup. But leave well enough alone and enjoy I guess. BTW this is on a WSI 6' Special( I think this one is the standard model they sell now)

Well, I'm on the 10' dish and using a very cheap, direct from China LNB. The scalar ring (I understand that it's supposed to help the signal but I do not understand HOW) that came with it is CHEAP and flimsy. VERY cheap junk. I used the very heavy ring that I found still attached to the LNB mount arm. It's heavy and has multiple rings. It locks the LNB into place very securely vs the other one which does not.

This 10' dish is strudy. It's old stuff and heavy and there is nothing cheap or flimsy about it at all.

I just don't understand why MeTV goes out randomly on some days and other days, not at all.
Weather doesn't seem to be a factor because it was working fine during a very heavy downpour that totally knocked out ALL the ku satellites.
It can be working great in a crystal clear sky then POOF! Nothing. It does happen mainly during the daylight hours though.

ALL the wires are brand new quad shield RG6Q, all the connectors are brand new crimp on and waterproof.
Other channels also on the horizontal come in just fine so it's not a polarity thing. The LNB is also brand new, but a cheapy from China.

I'm frustrated and at this point I'm ready to seek out a brand new, top of the line LNB. I want GOOD STUFF. If it costs me $200, so be it.
I want it to work 24/7, rain or shine. I want one that will survive any and everything including the moon crashing into the earth!

Arrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!! And now it's back. Strong and clear like nothing ever happened!

I do not get this!

Oh, and I waded out into the lake and took apart the connection from the LNB wire to check it for water, it was bone dry. There were some leaves and junk on the dish that bird and squirrels drop from the tree and I swept that all off. Didn't help.

Do they change the signal strength in the daytime vs the night time?

:confused:

Arrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!! And now it's back. Strong and clear like nothing ever happened!

I do not get this!

My Ku setup on 125W does the same thing. I don't get it either.

Are you using an Openbox S9 by chance?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FINALLY - High speed internet - Kinda!

two satellites with one dish possible?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)